I would like to give you a run-down of the many subjects involved with boating safety in the form of a quick Q&. I number them for easy recall.
1. A boat’s ensign is proportional to a boat’s what with an inch for every foot? Length- 1” of fly per foot.
2. What should be said to end a radio conversation? Out
3. What color is marine diesel fuel? Red
4. What is the difference between a dolphin and a piling? Dolphins are 3 or more pilings lashed together.
5. When drawing a “set and drift” diagram, what are units measured in? Set-degrees and drift-knots
6. Outboard motors have a what below the propeller? Skeg
7. Often lines on a sailboat are color coded. Which colors are used most often for the mainsheet, the jib sheet, the spinnaker guys, and the vangs/travelers? Mainsheet-white, jib sheet-blue, the spinnaker guys-red and green, vangs/travelers-black.
8. What is the difference between a windlass and a capstan? A windlass operates on a horizontal axis; and a capstan on a vertical access.
9. When should a splint be applied to a fracture? Before moving the person
10. When you are in a potential head-on situation, what should you do? Turn to starboard
11. If a boat is on a true course of 30 degrees and takes a true bearing of 170 degrees, what is the relative bearing? 140 degrees, because the reactive bearing is the true course minus the true bearing.
12. How would you increase the holding power of an anchor? Decrease the angle between the anchor shaft and the rode. Let out more rode to increase the scope. (Rode is length of anchor line; scope is how much it covers.)
13. When do you make an entry on your DR plot? At least once an hour, when you change your speed and or when you change course.
14. If you are moored, docked or anchored in rough waters, how can you avoid damage to the rudder or steering gear? The tiller or wheel should be set in the amidships position.
15. If you set off distress flares and see 3 white flares in the distance, what does that mean? Help is on the way.
16. If you are following the rules of the road but are about to have a collision what should you do? Avoid a collision even if it means breaking the rules of the road.
17. According to the National Safe Boating Council, drowning is the cause of death in ___percentage of all fatal boating accidents? 80%
18. Of the people who drown in fatal boating accidents what percentage were not wearing a PFD? 90%
19. An excellent rule for safe boating is the one-third fuel rule. What is it?
One third out, one third back and one third in reserve.
20. What would be the first treatment for a person with third degree burns? Treat for shock
21. When speaking of a weather front, what is meant? It is the boundary between two dissimilar air masses.
All of our columns stress that you are invited to call the squadron at 239-643-2702 for information about our courses for the summer for you and your family.
We urge you to take advantage of our courses. While our instruction is free, there is a charge for the published course material used within our different courses. The text booklets become the property of the student and make excellent future reference material.