Officials warn of carbon monoxide poisioning

So Much Drama in the EOC

Lee Emergency officials are warning residents to put generators outside in well-ventilated areas due to the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning. Fumes from generators caused multiple deaths last year after hurricanes Charley, Jeanne and Frances.
Lee EMS reported getting three cases of inhalation illness in South Fort Myers already since the start of the storm.
The Lee EOC says:
-- Never use a generator indoors or in partially enclosed spaces like garages.
-- Opening doors and windows or using fans will not prevent CO poisoning.
-- Locate generators outdoors, away from doors, windows, vents that attach to the side of your house.

  • Print

Features