in response to Klabautermann:

Klabs old buddy,

Now I know why someone put an ignore button on you and why your posts have been deleted so many times.

marco97 writes:

in response to lauralbi1:

Again, everyone, this is about Land Use, Schools, Deltona and our neighborhoods. The trailers, and High school cannot and will not be on this property. It is that simple. No Planning Board, no legal lease, no permits, it is done as far as the Church property is concerned. The language is very clear. Finished. Our Attorney (the neighborhood's) should make contact with all parties next week. I do not make legal decisions.
For those that want to continue the rhetoric, please go ahead. But until the proposed Charter School decides to go to the YMCA or the Charter Middle School, in my opinion, I do not see this becoming a reality.
It would have been well on it's way at the YMCA, but for some reason the School bailed out. I believe it was delusions of grandeur.

Ed, Rony Joel has trailers for his people, Tommie Barfield uses trailers for classrooms, the christian academy had trailers when they built their School. What make you think trailers won't be allowed at this church but was allowed for the one on Winterberry?

4marcoisland writes:

in response to Ocram:

Fact 1: Both references are from inside people, do not tell me that the person from JMCOF does not get funded one way or the another for what he is doing?

2. What are you talking about me not knowing many of anything. To me the parents who I know have said that they did not want their kids going to your school because their own kids say that they do not want to go there.
That is my fact.

There may be a high percentage of parents, as you suggest who wish for their children to go to the Acadamy, but there are quite a few who do not.

I would like for you to poll not only the parents but the kids going to Lely from Marco and see how many want to go to school in a trailer, instead of enjoying all of the growing up experiences of being in a REAL high school during the most memorable years of their lives.

Again, the point relating to references was why aren't the references from outside professional people with no vested interest in the Acadamy? You know, like from a former employer?
HMMMMMMMMM?????

I have not made any comments about support from parents in any negative way nor have I said anything that was not consistant with my own personal contacts.

Do not try to maneuver the conversation to make it look like anything else.

Perhaps because the person you are attacking has been a stay at home mom for 11 years raising her 3 small children. Seems ridiculous to ask a former employer from 11 years ago for a reference. Out of 500 pages of the Charter application is this the best you can find to poke holes in? The fact that Jane Watt has used references from people she knows on the project. Really? Are you kidding me?????? The MICMS started in modular classrooms and has done an amazing job over the years offering quality education to our students. I think it is wonderful that there are students who currently attend Lely and are having a good experience. They can continue to do so. In addition, the Academy will be able to offer a choice to those who prefer a hands-on curriculum to remain on the island for high school. The purpose of Charter schools is to offer educational choice.

4marcoisland writes:

in response to dwbadger:

Klab....Once again you never answer any questions or defend a position. You just accuse others and insukt those that try to have a meaningful discussion. Go to the top of the topic and answer the questions posed. If you can't why throw insults.

Where is the money coming from for the infrastructure, operating expenses, police,fire, roads, water etc? Just answer the question without throwing insults.

TBE and MICMS have over 1000 students attending school on their property. How much infrastructure was needed for it? Police, fire, roads, water, etc? Did you see a huge increase in your taxes when the MICMS was built? I didn't think so.

4marcoisland writes:

in response to Ocram:

The restraining order should be on Watt herself!

Right away if she does not get what she wants from the Collier County School Board she says that she is going to appeal the issues to the state level That, to me, appears to be a threat to the School Board that she really does not care what they say unless it is her way. Does she really think that the School Board Members do not already know that without the threat being vocalized and put into print?

There was no restraining order, just a police report. But why let the facts interfere with a good story? Too bad what is said and what is printed doesn't always match.

condoseller writes:

The failure of Ms. Watts and the other founders of this proposed charter high school is two fold. First, they failed to understand the community and the history of the sites they proposed building upon. Second, they failed to develop a strategic plan, that gave careful focus to site opportunities and with an opportunity for public discussion.

I'm sure the organizers will say they did have a plan and do understand Marco Island. If that were true, they would not have sought to build on dedicated park land; would not have pursued Tract K without a carefully developed stategy to engage the neighborhood residents; would have understood the restrictions of building near nesting eagles; would have explored the partnership with the YMCA to understand the opportunities and challenges the partnership faced; and would have understood the neighborhood resistance to past development in th Joy Circle area. And, they would have done this all before making any public announcements, never mind several. Ms. Watts should also know that "botanical garden" only serves to enrage those enflamed. No understanding of community, no comprehensive plan and no sensitivity = failure.

It is unfortunate this project has only generated negative reactions. Even from those like me, who truly support the concept.

in response to 4marcoisland:

Dear stay at home mom,

1. A bank will not give a loan for a mortgage without 4 or 5 up to date, valid, credit references and you expect a School Board to allow you credit for being a Stay at Home Mom. Would you hire you? I do not think I would.

How do you think it appears to those individuals looking at the paperwork that all the letters of reference, except for one, are from insiders for each other? (I think your other paperwork looks like a lot of time and effort has gone into it, but I am not the professional to evaluate it for inconsistancies, why would you ask me to?.)

You wish to control the lives of students and have no professional experience in that area what so ever. While your motives may be good, without any real, true educational experience or background in either Ms. Watt or Ms. Barrett you are shooting from the hip. Having a few volunteers who once, some time ago, were teachers and/or administrators does not count much in today's world of education. What about their own personal references? No former employers, just the same insider pats on the back. Maybe their experiences are from years gone by too. But who knows, not from what is being presented by what is on paper.

2. Modular classrooms for elementary and middle school may be fine, but for high school....NO WAY! Ask any, well rounded, high school student or experienced high school teacher!

3. I have heard the word choice too many times in the last couple of years and have found out that it means someone else's choice, not mine. It is over used and abused.

4. Put your efforts into Lely. Our children and Naple's children deserve your team's efforts.

P.S. I was especially "turned off" today when Jane Watt was quoted that she was going to bring the issue to the State Level if she does not get her way at the County level. What happens if the State turns her down? Will she then go to the Supreme Court?

4marcoisland writes:

in response to Ocram:

Dear stay at home mom,

First of all, Ms. Watt is doing this as a volunteer. She has no intention of working at the school. Many of the most successful charter schools are started by parents, who tend to care the most about their children's education. For example, the MICMS was started essentially by 2 mothers. Once the school is open, it will be staffed by the appropriate educational professionals.
Am I to understand that you are being critical of parents who choose to stay home to raise their children and who think it is valuable not only to their family but also serve the community at large? And that those same parents are also volunteering their time to help organize one of the most innovative schools in the State are for some reason inadequate to you?
The natural progression of any charter school is that if they are turned down by the District, they appeal to the State. This is to ensure the District is being fair to the Charter school, since most consider Charter schools to be competition. It protects the rights of the Charter applicants. Not a threat by any means. When someone asks what the Marco Island Academy plans to do if the charter is turned down at the district level, the answer is simple. They will appeal to the State. FYI: the only reason a Charter can be denied is if a Charter Statute is missing. It won't be denied based on a public vote, or the location,or because several individuals live near the site don't want it, and certainly not because you are against it. You are entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't mean that the charter will not be approved.
If you are certain that no students will attend a school in modulars, than why are you worried about it anyway? Seems like you are just wasting your time.
Charter schools provide choices. Their description is listed on the FL Dep of Ed website listed under school choice. All students will still have the option to attend Lely if they would like. Nothing is being taken away, but another option is being added.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

I will only answer the question that appears to attack.
No, I respect stay at home parents, either sex, who care for their children. But that being said, it does not make them a professional in any other career. Not medicine, not in plumbing, police work, and not in education. It also does not give them the right to "mess up" other peoples lives in such a way that the requests for restraining orders become necessary for either side no matter what the good intentions might be. That is my opinion, for what it is worth. We can agree to disagree on that fact.

in response to Klabautermann:

No Klabs,
I can not explain you no matter how hard I might try!

Klabs,
I hear you. But why is so difficult for you to understand that you may be way off on your anlalysis.

Maybe the people living near Tract K only desire to be able to enjoy their retirement lives in peace and quiet.

Maybe it is the people who want the school who have the hidden agenda of turning Tract K into something more than a school for Marco Island kids. Maybe it will be turned into something that will be connected to something else, not just a school. Something that will exploit Tract K into a day thru nite ongoing activity center so that the necessary funding to pay for the buildings and what ever else we do not know about, at this point, could be made. Who is really involved with the funding? Why hasn't that been made clear? It is not going to come from $100 donations. Just think of that for a while.

The comments about future fund raising by the proponents is not good enough for me. There is this big secret on where the monies are planned to come from. It runs into the ten of millions of dollars. You do not take on such a large project and put all this effort into something without this key component in mind. Doesn't this bother you in the least? Well it should and does bother many people.

Klabs old buddy,

(pardon me , my first post on this comment did not show on the blog)

YES TO A PUBLIC VOTE!
Have you wondered why the proponents have hidden behind not having to have one for a Charter School. Have you wondered why City Council refused to talk about the Tract K issue at City Council meetings? Do you really think that what the total Marco Island Community wants are their concern? If you think so, and I hope you don't, then think again.

I too, am for a Community Vote, one in which we can put this issue to rest.

sharkfloss writes:

Klabs,

I know the airport arguement has been thrown around, but....Did not the people who moved here knowing full well that this was a retirement community as well, that it did not have a high school. You see my dear Klabs, there are two sides to every story. You have to be cognizant of the fact that the City Council members are listed as volunteers on the Community School's appplication, although that they deny that. I think you should be asking them what they intend to do with the property since they are the ones that could be voting on it.

I too, would like to find out what the hidden agenda is, if you find out factually, let me know because I do not have any idea other than what I have posted.

All because Daytona intended something 30 or 40 ago does not make it right for the here and now.

Did you know that one of the other school sites that Deltona deeded as a school site turned into something other than a school?

happyhorowitz34145 writes:

in response to dwbadger:

Your questions are legitimate and should be answered. The problem is no one and I mean none of these bloggers that are attacking you, will ever answer these questions, because they are affraid to tell you.
So, I'll tell you. YOU ARE!!!!!
Along with every other tax payer on this Island.
How's that for an answer. It's the truth.

sharkfloss writes:

Klabs,

Those of us who you are knocking have the same rights as anyone else. If we want a place that is quiet, peaceful and what we moved here for we have that right. No matter what amount of rambling about other issues, the fact is if you believe that a referendum is the answer then go by what that majority wants. Stop swinging both ways on your comments or you will lose yet another person trying to communicate with you.

in response to sharkfloss:

Klabs,

The problem we are all facing is that nobody seems to know what the complete facts are.

City Council has not told the Community what it intends to do with the K property, if it is purchased.

The proponents of the School do not say where or how they are getting their funding and exactly for what the funding will actually produce.

The bloggers are left in the dark and until they know all of the facts all we can due is assume and most of us knows what that will lead to.

I for one, do not like being left in the dark about how, a place which I love, will become.

Let Mr. K have his word, because sometimes in between sperts of confusion he does make some good points.

in response to Klabautermann:

Shaking my head and laughing.

factdr (Inactive) writes:

in response to lauralbi1:

To my fellow bloggers: As you all know (those that blog regularly) I am always trying to make the point to avoid personal attacks and personal comments in responding to opinions on different subjects. So, I thought about this overnight, and while I meant what I said, there should never be any personal comments in these blogs. And for that, I aopologize.
I assure you that I am as passionate about protecting our neighborhood as Jane Watt is about the MIMS.
Deltona, via their Deed Restrictions, has once again protected a neighborhood from suffering blight at the hands of others. This will all be made Public very soon. The trailers and High School on this Church property will not and CANNOT happen. And there is nothing anyone can do to change that.

Ed Issler,
Jane Watt is about the MIA, NOT MIMS.

There is room for interpretation in said deed restrictions. Who exactly will enforce these restrictions???

Everytime an attempt of yours fails to end the temporary location proposal, you drop that accusation and try another. It appears to be more about winning for you, than several portables for a couple of years on that site.

Your constant threats are ridiculous already.
Please go get a hobby, or do you enjoy constantly insulting Jane Watt? The woman is a mother who is volunteering her time for the past 2 years for not only her children, but an ENTIRE community's children.
I commend her for putting up with the insults, lies, and bullying from YOU. What a remarkable woman she truly is. For a woman is not an attorney, doctor, phD, or educator, she has most certainly come a long way with this project.

Why can't you act like a gentleman and show some respect?

You have a reputation of harassing, spreading rumors, lies and flat out being mean to many on this island. If you are so unhappy with the goings on here on Marco--MOVE.

factdr (Inactive) writes:

in response to Ocram:

Dear stay at home mom,

It's funny how much I have recently learned about charter schools!!

This is not about a bank. That comment is ridiculous!!!!!! LOL

ANY MEMBER(s) of a community may engage in forming a charter school. That does include a group of parents. No educational background required. Just parents with a passion for improving education. Those parents have assembled a team of educators who share that same passion.
So sorry, but the parents that cry about Lely should be the ones to fix it. But wait, I thought there is nothing wrong with Lely?!?!

If you read about the charter school application requirements, you will clearly see that no letters are even required!!! Just a bonus that they included. (Nice touch Jane Watt)

Well I can tell you one thing for sure, when I attended high school, my memories are from the amazing teachers and the great friends--NOT THE CLASSROOM. I have absolutely no memory from any room I ever sat in or how it was arranged. If you are making an issue about a portable, you should NOT be criticizing ANYONE who is helping improve the quality of education. WOW, SAD.

P.S. I was especially "turned off" today when I just responded to the nonsense you wrote.

ONWARDS, JANE WATT!!!!!!!!!!!

liberator100 writes:

Bloggers,

1. There will NOT be a Charter High School on Marco Island.

2. Those City officials who are named as "volunteers" on Watt's fake list will have to recuse themselves from voting on the issue at the Council or Planning Board.

3. The CCSB will not allow a Charter School to be built on Church property. County can't and will not be involved in a "separation of Church and State" issue.

4. Jane Watt is passing out fraudulent information and sooner than later this will catch up to her.

5. There must be an island-wide referendum for a Charter High School. THERE IS NO SUPPORT FOR IT.

6. Support Lely High School and make it the best school in the County. It is a wonderful High School with all the necessary facilities.

7. Stop the "elites" from building a High School on Marco Island. Send your emails to the Council.

Say NO!

Ps. Klaub-man: You must be the smartest man ever to hit the shores of Marco Island; well educated (obviously in Europe)on every subject, an expert on every issue and sharp as a tack! I have never read better material than yours. Keep it up man! You are doing great!

factdr (Inactive) writes:

in response to Ocram:

Shaking my head and laughing.

Thus far, the only point you have clearly and accurately illustrated is your ability to count;
Keep practicing and perhaps you will make it to 100.

You need to educate yourself--seriously.

UNOFFICIAL APPENDIX TO THE CHARTER HIGH SCHOOL APPLICATION

Choice---------------------------------“ My choice, not anyone else’s.”

14 miles-------------------------------“A distance which is longer for my kids to travel than for your kids to travel."

Bonus----------------------------------“Insignificant information added for Fluff.”

World Class---------------------------“So over used and not verifiable.”

Volunteer------------------------------“Anyone who asks a question.”

Community Support-----------------“Any group spoken to with or without their consent to be listed as such.”

Letter of Recommendation--------- “Friends writing nice things about friends.”

Infrastructure-------------------------“What infrastructure? Those costs don’t count, anyway.”

Separation of Church and State----“Let’s pretend that Law does not exist.”

Commandeer------------------------- “See Ms. Watt’s letter of recommendation: last line of paragraph 4. “……..overseeing the design of the school and commandeering her “army” of over 200 volunteers.”
Note: see definition of volunteer above.

255 out of 17,000---------------------“This constitutes Community Support?”

Community Vote---------------------“That which you do not want to have in case it does not go your way.
(a.k.a. Referendum}

marcomermaid writes:

in response to Ocram:

UNOFFICIAL APPENDIX TO THE CHARTER HIGH SCHOOL APPLICATION

Choice---------------------------------“ My choice, not anyone else’s.”

World Class---------------------------“So over used and not verifiable.”

Volunteer------------------------------“Anyone who asks a question.”

Letter of Recommendation--------- “Friends writing nice things about friends.”

Separation of Church and State----“Let’s pretend that Law does not exist.”

Note: see definition of volunteer above.

255 out of 17,000---------------------“This constitutes Community Support?”

(a.k.a. Referendum}

No response to this!???
City leaders? Anyone?

captnjimbo writes:

Fossil...your first post was very refreshing and almost eloquent...thank you.

I noted one post calling Jane Watt a liar.

I have met her and spoken with her, met her husband, her parents. I have corresponded with her.

Jane Watt is not a liar.

The community is blessed to have a high energy volunteer that has taken on a huge project and in spite of being a volunteer with zero experience she has put together a team of energized people that have a mission.

Certainly she will get some personal benefit if a school is built in the next year or so...her children potentially can continue their education in what is now their home town...along with another several hundred that will get the same benefit...what is wrong with that?

Nothing. It is a good thing, just as local churches are a good thing, close in supermarkets, good local restaurants,good doctors, a local newspaper or two, a local police force and fire department, a nice beach pavillion...all of the amenities that help make Marco a first class community and a desirable place to live as well as a desirable place to retire.

I applaud her and believe she is the right person at the right time, with the right motivation and the right amount of drive.

I'm all for freedom of expression, but disparaging this young woman, I believe is a travesty.

LuvParadise writes:

JWatt keeps saying the money is not coming from our property taxes or increases. Then what's this comment? "through donations, as well as state and local tax allocations that would have gone to the schools the students are zoned to attend. In the case of Marco Island residents, that is Lely High School." Why can they take my property tax dollars to spend on a Marco School when I choose to support Lely? NO!! This is going to take so much money. Far more than they can comprehend. Then there's the issue of getting accreditation to issue diplomas acceptaing to colleges. They don't have to be athletes to miss out on the issue of team bonding, team support, marching bands, etc. Things that are part of the high school experience. A lot goes into creating a high school besides wanting to keep your kids away from the Lely demographics.

factdr (Inactive) writes:

in response to Ocram:

UNOFFICIAL APPENDIX TO THE CHARTER HIGH SCHOOL APPLICATION

Choice---------------------------------“ My choice, not anyone else’s.”

World Class---------------------------“So over used and not verifiable.”

Volunteer------------------------------“Anyone who asks a question.”

Letter of Recommendation--------- “Friends writing nice things about friends.”

Separation of Church and State----“Let’s pretend that Law does not exist.”

Note: see definition of volunteer above.

255 out of 17,000---------------------“This constitutes Community Support?”

(a.k.a. Referendum}

With that wit, you must have attended Lely.

Just curious, if you were interviewing an unknown Bill Gates for a job and he had no college degree, but had the passion and desire to work hard and make a difference by introducing new innovations, would you hire him??

I think you do not have the insight to see the value of remarkable people ahead of their time.

Twist the words however you like--------

giggel211 writes:

To all of you who think that the high schools here are so "good". This is a paragraph out of an article published in yesterdays Naples News:

"In recent years, more than half of Florida high school graduates who took placement tests at community colleges have needed remediation in at least one of three areas: reading, writing or mathematics."

...Any more questions about the current lacking educational standards in the state of Florida?

santabarbara writes:

A HUGE thank you to Jane Watt and all the volunteers for giving of your time for our children's education.

Just like the Charter Middle School has made this island a better place to live, the high school will do the same. Remember the best things in life aren't easy. Keep fighting the good fight for our children and their children and generations to come. Our middle school is a prime example of what excellent education on our island can do for our children.

Your efforts will benefit many generations! Keep your eye on the big picture!

in response to factdr:

With that wit, you must have attended Lely.

Twist the words however you like--------

Thank you for your kind words in allowing me to "twist" the words. Please permit me a couple more.

Child Hater.........Anybody who disagrees with not wanting a school in an inappropriate place.

Lely................Don't mention that word, heaven forbid that my child go there!

Eagle...............A majestic, national bird which may have pooped on my plans.

Bill Gates..........Someone who started in his garage and did not try to take over a whole neighborhood.

Adios, until later.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Whoops, imperfect me amendment..

Child Hater......Anyone who disagrees with us and not wanting a school in an inappropriate place.

I am truly sorry if I offended anyone with my previous blog due to this error!

giggel211 writes:

in response to Klabautermann:

The individual school scores will be published earliest in November

in response to Klabautermann:

My job in life has been to make people smile. I am happy that I did not insult anyone and made them laugh. Thank you. Who is Brillo?

factdr (Inactive) writes:

in response to Ocram:

Adios, until later.

Ocram/Marco (There's that wit that I love)

I can't wait to meet you at the Grand Opening of the Marco Island Academy. Please do introduce yourself!

"Take over a neighborhood?" HaHa
Hey, I hear that Jane Watt also began her crusade in her garage!!! Uh oh, watch out, world domination is next. How in the world will you handle THAT??!!

I'm waiting to hear one, just one, good valid point that is true here on this blog from you. I have read not one word of anything worthwhile from you!! There have been opponents that have raised interesting questions, that yes, I have looked into to to either prove or disprove.

My support grows everytime I get the facts to questions that have been raised from reading negative blogs.

The word "hate(er)" does not fit in this debate , in my opinion. It is sad and desperate to use that word.

Again, the more you realize that this school coming, the lower you will sink.

4marcoisland writes:

in response to LuvParadise:

JWatt didn't write the article-Kelly Farrell did. Money follows the student-it is that simple. For every student that attends Lely, the money follows them. For every student that attends the Marco Island Academy the money follows them. The students are the ones who get to pick where the money goes-NOT you. If you have kids and you like Lely, then send them to Lely. No one is stopping you. Do you think it is fair for me to decide where your kids go to school? Well I don't think it is fair that you are trying to decide where my kids will go to school. The students will have to choose to attend the Marco Island Academy, just like students choose to attend to the Marco Island Charter Middle School. Our middle school students are zoned to go to Manatee-not Charter middle. Manatee is a good school as well with some very incredible teachers. Some of the volunteers who help with the Academy also volunteer there and work closely with the students.
The Marco Island Charter Middle School did not raise the local residents taxes. There was no massive increase in the infrastructure to support the traffic, etc. The school is located in a residential community near homes. Stop signs manage to handle the traffic just fine. There are over 360 students who attend 3 grades at Charter Middle. There will be between 400-500 students who attend 4 grades at the Marco Island Academy. Just as the Middle School offers a variety of activities, so will the Marco Island Academy. This has nothing to do with wanting to "keep your kids away from the Lely demographics," but has everything to do with wanting a local choice for Marco. The local residents will have an opportunity to choose where they send their kids. Nothing will be forced on them. You have a choice for a big high school in Naples or a small high school on Marco. The kids can decide where they want to go and it doesn't cost the taxpayers a penny more. They actually rezoned Lely this year so they have a significant increase in their student population this year.
In addition for all those bloggers who complain about why the Academy supporters don't just put their effort into Lely-it is much harder to try to change the way a large established school is run especially if they do not want to change. The Marco Island Academy will start on small scale and institute programs that have consistently demonstrated results. Once the Academy reaches the level of success that I believe it will, any and all ideas will be shared throughout Collier County for all of the District schools to implement if they want. This isn't about Marco vs. Naples. This is about raising the bar on education for all students.

in response to factdr:

Ocram/Marco (There's that wit that I love)

"Take over a neighborhood?" HaHa

Again, the more you realize that this school coming, the lower you will sink.

ImLovinit,

I guess the truth hurts, especially when its put to wit.

WHY DO YOU NOT WANT A REFERENDUM?

Answer.... Not because you do not need it according to the 5 requirements of a Charter School, but because you know darned well that you would lose and lose BIG-TIME. Come down from your tower and determine what the community wants. Give yourself crdibility and have a referendum.

By the way, child hater was brought up by your proponents in earlier blogs, NOT by your oponents at any time. It was offensive then, when it used by your proponents and you said NOTHING!

You are right about one thing, my friends and I will sink, WHEN AND IF, we realize the school is coming to Tract K. Thank you for your clear vision.

in response to Klabautermann:

There you go again, insulting people you do not know. How can anyone pay attention to your input when your retorts are regularly offensive.

factdr (Inactive) writes:

in response to Ocram:

ImLovinit,

I guess the truth hurts, especially when its put to wit.

WHY DO YOU NOT WANT A REFERENDUM?

The truth is wonderful!!
My vision is crystal clear!

My crusade is to help see this school come to fruition and I truly do not care where the school is located on Marco or off.

I NEVER SAID I DIDN'T WANT A REFERENDUM.
And by the way,
I NEVER LOSE-EVER!!!!! ;)

factdr (Inactive) writes:

ANYONE who uses the word "hate" when referring to children and improving the quality of education does not have a communities best interest at heart.
That word does NOT belong in any of these blogs/conversations/discussions/arguments.

in response to factdr:

I and everyone with a conscience has been trying to say this since the start of blogging on this subject.

Unfortunately, a number of us have been labeled with these terms. I agree with your response and would appreciate those who have used these terms to permanently cease such a slur.

here_is_my2cents writes:

in response to Fossil:

Build the school. Our kids deserve this great opportunity. This school proposal is a wonderful idea to educate our kids in their hometown. The people behind this are our parents and neighbors. They are people who have invested in this city as families and business men and women. If we don't support this, why did we become a city? Everyone should be behind this, Parents, Grandparents, Religious leaders, educators, Police Chief, Fire Chief and Council members alike. Speak out publicly and support this important community effort. Transparancy, for what? It's a charter school proposal for goodness sake. Who are these naysayers? That's the transparancy I want. Who in their right mind would be against a school like this? Are they people who just hate kids? Forget the cost, we are a wealthy community that just spent millions on a utility we never needed and are about to spend another 50 grand for a report that a citizen UAB already accomplished. This inititive is an investment in the future of our children and our community. It is about legacy our future and growth. It is for our children. It is a statement about Marco Island and the people who live here. Support this project. This is something our entire city can get behind and support. Your neighbors have worked hard for this, it is for our kids and is a worthy cause. Let's just do it.

Well stated, thank you!

33yearresident writes:

Any of you academy supporters think the students of a small high school on Marco will resent their parents some time down the road for denying them the opportunity to have a real high school experience?

marco97 writes:

in response to 33yearresident:

33 I don't think that will happen since my kids will be free to go to Lely if they want, it's up to them I am not going to make them go to any school. I trust my kids will decide what is best for them.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

What about separation of friends as a result of some selecting Lely and others the Academy? Kids seem to go with their schoolmates to activities and such.

in response to Klabautermann:

I am talking about the kids that make the choice to go to Lely. There will be different allegiances.

I think that if the Acaademy were able to done as part of Lely then the results would make for fewer interpersonal conflicts that, possibly, could occur.

marco97 writes:

in response to Ocram:

OC I believe most kids from the middle school will stay on Marco if a high school is built here. As it is now my kids have lost friends who moved off the island due to the economy, it's part of life and they deal with it just fine. when you go to collage do you loose the friends you had in high school?, I didn't.

in response to factdr:

ImlovinIt,

Are you now going incognito? ;)

in response to Ocram:

ImlovinIt,

Are you now going incognito? ;)

Come to think of it, how did you change your name on top of all of your posts?

This could be a blast.... post, change name, and then argue with ourself. Kind of getting away with a dual personality with no medication necessary.

muchwizernow writes:

in response to dwbadger:

delta...Are you another voice that cannot answer the questions posed? Why can't anyone answer the questions without accusing me of being against a school. I notice this a great deal on these blogs how many of you sling accusations but never answer questions asked. You obviously don't know me and your statement has no merit. I've asked for an accounting on how the school will be paid for including all infrastructure costs and all operating costs without using additional tax payer dollars? Can you answer that? It was stated above that the reason for a school was that children had to travel 20 miles to get to the current school. I asked what is an acceptable distance? I asked if the distance traveled for our children to leave the island is excessive why do we expect children to travel to the island to attend a school? Should the school be sized for the size of the island children population? I don't understand why you cannot answer these simple questions?

Why when questions are raised does everyone get defensive?

Badger - a charter school is a public school - it is SUPPOSED to be open for anyone to attend - however, transportation is a factor - they do NOT have to provide that. You read between the lines.

momof3children writes:

The overprotective parents that have no life other than their children perplex me. At what age do you cut the strings? We are talking about HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS. Lely is ranked as an “A” school. It is up to the individual student/family what academic and social experience they will choose. Life Lesson #1 - What you put into it is what you get out of it. It begins with the core ethics and values that parents/guardians instill in their children.

At what point do we teach our children that life can be struggling even challenging? That there ARE bumps in the road and not everybody plays nicely in the sandbox? If you continue to coddle young adults we are going to continue to have generations of deserving children that expect to get without doing.

Building the school on the island is a convenience it is not a matter of NEED. That is what makes this entire proposal preposterous.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

The quote of the day, and it is not mine.

"ALL BECAUSE YOU CAN, DOES NOT ALWAYS MEAN YOU SHOULD!"