Comments » 98

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Marco97

I never said all the kids on Marco are rich nor implied that. You can imply anything you wish but that was just not the case.
Just another example of the Proponent twisting the facts in order to make a point in their favor. Good Try.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Hey Marco97,

Why is there now a realtor sign on the San Marco property for the Academy? Too many gopher Tortoises to move, or wasn't there enough money to pay the rent?

NoRulesInKansas (Inactive) writes:

When Winterbury School closes......

NoRulesInKansas (Inactive) writes:

that's the target 35 to make the numbers????

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

It does not say anything other than the name of the Real Estate Company. Keller Williams and the Realtor Steve Hackman and phone numbers.

It does not say for sale or anything about why it is there. I did not notice it a couple of months ago.

SunBum writes:

in response to RayPray:

"I speak the truth...."

"Why don't you get on board...."

I have yet to decide whether there is some $$$ hustle angle to this Gunga Jane Marco Apartheid Academy or whether it is just some 9.4 Richter Scale detonation of ego.

Boasts of "state of the art" & "world class" when most of the people behind or hired for this scheme have minor or online degrees in trivial subject from colleges nobody ever heard of....

One must ask how such people would even recognize "world class"?

Nevertheless, since Marco is a sleepy place, especially in the Summer, the noisy collapse of this Potemkin Village scheme over the rest of the year -- doubtless with an abundance of recrimination and finger-wagging -- will afford considerable needed entertainment.

For the record the facts are . . .
The degrees of those "behind this scheme" officially include, but are far from limited to:

PhD, Marine/Systems/Ecology, USC
B.S., UConn
M.B.A., Financial Mgt, Pace U.
B.A, Pol Sci, Rutgers
B.A.,German, Rutgers
PhD, Pharmacy, U of Maryland
& Johns Hopkins U
B.A., Cornell
M.P.P., Harvard
PhD., FSU
M.B.A., Lynn University
M.S., Corrective Reading
B.M.E., Rensselaer
B.S., Bus. Admin
B.A., Architecture, FL
M.A., Architecture, FL
M.S.R.E.D., MIT
B.A., Flagler
M.B.A., U. of Phoenix
B.A., Jacksonville U.
M.A.T.+, Jacksonville U.
M.S.+, FSU
B.S., U of Colorado
B.A., Latin/Englis
B.A. St. Cloud University
M.S. Guidance/Counseling
B.A., Miami Univ. of Ohio
B.F.A., University of Arizona
B.S. Ed, M.S.Spec
B.S., Friends Univ.
M.S.S.L., Baker Univ.
B.S., Moorehead State
M.Ed., Middle Tenn State
PhD, St. Mary’s University

A partial list of the notable accomplishments of the many dedicated contributors to the Academy includes:

Prof. Grad. Ed. Psych/Marion U
Dir. Nat’l At-Risk Ed Network
BOD, Career College Assoc.
Founder, FGCU Resort/Hospitality Mgt.Program
FGCU, Adjunct Professor
Adv. Bd., Project Reach
BOD/Naples Chamber Commerce
CEO/Blue Nose Edutainment
Adv. Bd., Discovery Channel
Founder Earth Shuttle Epcot Ed. Consultant
Adv. Bd., National Center for Alternative Ed.
Founder, FL Consortium of Charter Schools
Pres., Acoustic Soc of Am
Contributor, VA Standards of Learning Sec.,Engineering Soc of NE
Director, N.Y. Project Child
International Ed. Consultant
Senior Analyst, Global Dev Invstmt Advs.
VP,Morgan Stanley-Smith Barney
Accredited Fiduciary
Adjunct Professor, Edison C.
Partner, Terrapin Bright Green
Founder, BOD, Greening of America
MI Realtors Assoc. Leadership Team
Founding Board Member, U.S.Green Building Council
Pres, Living Designs Group
NCARB Certified, LEED
Chair, USGBC
Sustainable FL Leadership Award
Founder, Studentsfirst.org
Founder, New Teacher Project
Director/Vice-Pres. Sci & Ed.
Ambassadors of Environment Florida Member, Governor’s Education Transition Team
Founder, Ocean Futures Soc.
Former CEO/ITT Ed Ser,Inc.
Writer, Curriculum, FCPS
District Mgr, SE Equity Title
Who's Who Among American Teachers
Pres, Real Estate Invest. Co.
AdminConsultant, Center for School Redesign
Adv. Bd., National Council on Teacher Quality
Secretary, Engineering Societies of NE

Who among us cannot appreciate that this is an absolutely incredible collaboration of well-educated local, national, and international experts amassed to create a world-class education for our children?

ajm3s writes:

in response to SunBum:

For the record the facts are . . .
The degrees of those "behind this scheme" officially include, but are far from limited to:

PhD, Marine/Systems/Ecology, USC
B.S., UConn
M.B.A., Financial Mgt, Pace U.
B.A, Pol Sci, Rutgers
B.A.,German, Rutgers
PhD, Pharmacy, U of Maryland
& Johns Hopkins U
B.A., Cornell
M.P.P., Harvard
PhD., FSU
M.B.A., Lynn University
M.S., Corrective Reading
B.M.E., Rensselaer
B.S., Bus. Admin
B.A., Architecture, FL
M.A., Architecture, FL
M.S.R.E.D., MIT
B.A., Flagler
M.B.A., U. of Phoenix
B.A., Jacksonville U.
M.A.T.+, Jacksonville U.
M.S.+, FSU
B.S., U of Colorado
B.A., Latin/Englis
B.A. St. Cloud University
M.S. Guidance/Counseling
B.A., Miami Univ. of Ohio
B.F.A., University of Arizona
B.S. Ed, M.S.Spec
B.S., Friends Univ.
M.S.S.L., Baker Univ.
B.S., Moorehead State
M.Ed., Middle Tenn State
PhD, St. Mary’s University

A partial list of the notable accomplishments of the many dedicated contributors to the Academy includes:

Prof. Grad. Ed. Psych/Marion U
Dir. Nat’l At-Risk Ed Network
BOD, Career College Assoc.
Founder, FGCU Resort/Hospitality Mgt.Program
FGCU, Adjunct Professor
Adv. Bd., Project Reach
BOD/Naples Chamber Commerce
CEO/Blue Nose Edutainment
Adv. Bd., Discovery Channel
Founder Earth Shuttle Epcot Ed. Consultant
Adv. Bd., National Center for Alternative Ed.
Founder, FL Consortium of Charter Schools
Pres., Acoustic Soc of Am
Contributor, VA Standards of Learning Sec.,Engineering Soc of NE
Director, N.Y. Project Child
International Ed. Consultant
Senior Analyst, Global Dev Invstmt Advs.
VP,Morgan Stanley-Smith Barney
Accredited Fiduciary
Adjunct Professor, Edison C.
Partner, Terrapin Bright Green
Founder, BOD, Greening of America
MI Realtors Assoc. Leadership Team
Founding Board Member, U.S.Green Building Council
Pres, Living Designs Group
NCARB Certified, LEED
Chair, USGBC
Sustainable FL Leadership Award
Founder, Studentsfirst.org
Founder, New Teacher Project
Director/Vice-Pres. Sci & Ed.
Ambassadors of Environment Florida Member, Governor’s Education Transition Team
Founder, Ocean Futures Soc.
Former CEO/ITT Ed Ser,Inc.
Writer, Curriculum, FCPS
District Mgr, SE Equity Title
Who's Who Among American Teachers
Pres, Real Estate Invest. Co.
AdminConsultant, Center for School Redesign
Adv. Bd., National Council on Teacher Quality
Secretary, Engineering Societies of NE

Who among us cannot appreciate that this is an absolutely incredible collaboration of well-educated local, national, and international experts amassed to create a world-class education for our children?

Wow quite a list! Now can you provide a list of actual teachers in classroom and their accreditation. The children do not know the benefactors or others that have lent their name to your list with regard to this project, and perhaps will never meet these world-class folks.

Education for me is a local issue and as such I like to know who the folks that will be teaching the local kids, in a locale now awaiting gopher tortoise transfer. Interesting, that you arouse the interests of benefactors with language of world class education, but it is an issue of local proportions. If the MIA can focus on education and not on the marketing "genius" or its supporters, we can perhaps begin to get to the core of education. You know, that simple relationship between the student and the teacher. Time for the MIA to focus, for up to this point I believe they have been caught daydreaming.

Must transfer the gophers before we can transfer the students. Imagine the gopher tortoise comes first in this world class environment being created. And with an environmentally aware world class roster to boot.

Is this a race between the (gopher) tortoise and the ....... hare?

NoRulesInKansas (Inactive) writes:

RAYPRAY "I have yet to decide whether there is some $$$ hustle angle to this Gunga Jane Marco Apartheid Academy or whether it is just some 9.4 Richter Scale detonation of ego."

oh there is most definitely a $$$$ angle going on - remember from the beginning the school is just one phase of several - the money part comes with the summer-camp part that they used to boast about - there will be $$$ coming in to offset the money that they need to fund the school.....go back to the original Marco Island Discovery Center plan - phase 1, phase 2, phase 3....

1Paradiselost writes:

Go back and read SunBum past posts. Bloging at 2:11am means this person has something on their minds and can't sleep. Worry about money maybe?

In life one needs only to follow the money to find the true intentions of this so called school. Personally, I would not send my dog to the Marco Island Academy! How could any loving parent send their child to this trailer park school is beyond me.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Woopie, Woopie,

Most of the degree have nothing to do with public education. You can get a list like this sitting at Starbucks. All Fluff and as usual not verifiable.

SunBum writes:

There is an obvious lack of knowledge regarding the founding of a charter school. The FL Department of Education has VERY strict guidelines which must be followed including a detailed submission of the qualifications of the Academy's Founders/Developers. (Not to mention the financial oversight.) As such, the aforementioned list is verifiably a matter of public record in Tallahassee.

In addition, interviews are currently being conducted with applicants flying in from all over the country. It is a given that charter schools publicize the credentials of all staff members which the Academy will proudly do just as soon as the advertised positions are filled.

Further information, including the qualifications submitted to Tallahassee, is available at the Academy's office within the Esplanade.

P.S. Posting at 2:11 AM reflects the emotions felt over the insinuation that "most of the people behind or hired for this scheme have minor or online degrees in trivial subject from colleges nobody ever heard of...." The Academy's well-qualified volunteers do not deserve to be so publicly denegrated.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

But Ms. SunBum, the remainder of the community does not deserve to be constantly told hypothetical stories as though they were true.

For example, your own main post on the Academy's WebSite:

"The Marco Island Academy OFFERS a world-class public education to all students within the district."

At this point the Academy actually OFFERS nothing more that a trailer park setting and "possibly" some teachers who have yet to be hired.

Proponents have been less than totally transparent with other issues. Why should anyone believe you now?

Just because you say so?

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

SUNBUM:

"Posting at 2:11 AM reflects the emotions felt over the insinuation that "most of the people behind or hired for this scheme have minor or online degrees in trivial subject from colleges nobody ever heard of...." The Academy's well-qualified volunteers do not deserve to be so publicly denegrated."
...

But it was ok for the earlier proponents to call people who live around Tract K. "Child Haters", "Old people who will soon be dead", and most recently "idiots"?

NONE of your volunteers came out and said that any of that was/is degrading.

So stop the "holier than thou" charade.

Why is that the "volunteers" have feelings and nobody else does?

Quite a double standard on your part.

Brisla writes:

Hey, if you don't like the new school, send your kids elsewhere. What do you care if other kids decide to go to the Academy? Quit your b*tching and get a life.

MarcoTrojan writes:

Its a tragedy that 50 kids have already been sucked into this farce. Did anyone else notice that all the kids in their little parade thing were in elementary school. And the cheesy manta costume? What a joke. Let's support real education as evinced by the uniformed marching behind right behind them. Please do not be sucked into these baseless claims of "world class" education. I can garentee you that this school will never gain worldwide acclaim. What this is is a small trailer complex on a lot with a pandoras box of environmental problems.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

in response to Brisla:

Hey, if you don't like the new school, send your kids elsewhere. What do you care if other kids decide to go to the Academy? Quit your b*tching and get a life.

Brisla,

Send your kids to the Academy, that is your choice and if you do not want to read questions that should be answered, in a transparent manner, don't read them.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Marco Trojan,

You are correct about the St. Patrick's Day Parade. There were about 8 adults and 10 young children. One girl, may have been a middle schooler. I guess all of her friends were home studying.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Let us now evaluated the statement of SunBum.
"In addition, interviews are currently being conducted with applicants flying in from all over the country. It is a given that charter schools publicize the credentials of all staff members which the Academy will proudly do just as soon as the advertised positions are filled."

Applicants flying in from all over the country, sounds good but if you think of what is being said is that out of the 2000 plus educational graduates in Florida alone. There were not enough teachers to chose from. Add to this the 1000s of other teachers, in the state, looking for jobs in what the Academy claims to be a "World Class" situation there were not enough applications to pick from.

So we then get the Fluff statement to make it look like that there is something special here that they are "flying" in from all over the country for a job here on Marco.

62 applicants as posted by the Academy from "all over the country"?????

Does not sound like the pick of the litter to me.

Really now, that many? lol.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

in response to MarcoIslandWoman:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

M.H.

Just seperating the facts from the fluff.

Honesty and transparency for all to see, even if some of you do not like it.

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to Ocram:

M.H.

Just seperating the facts from the fluff.

Honesty and transparency for all to see, even if some of you do not like it.

Oc - Is that what you're doing? I don't think you're qualified. If you think you are, post your verifiable credentials please.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

MarcoDefender,

Why don't you just stick with your earlier promise to "MOOT" me from your postings?

Obviously you do not know the difference between credentials and experience for a teacher of our children and those not needed for a person seeking/posting facts and transparency.

That alone should worry any parent who thinks you may be one of those hiring the teachers for the Academy.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Just listened to the news about the Academy from the CCSB tonite

http://www.abc-7.com/Global/story.asp...

One question to ask now.

Why did the broadcast appear to make one think in their presentation that the Academy was to be built where the trailers are going to be?

Was this to make one, once again, believe that a final site was selected for a building in order to garner support from grants or other funding sources?

If it was not the intention of the Academy I think a quick clarification of that item should be made in order to prevent up any misconceptions.

RayPray writes:

in response to Ocram:

Just listened to the news about the Academy from the CCSB tonite

http://www.abc-7.com/Global/story.asp...

One question to ask now.

Why did the broadcast appear to make one think in their presentation that the Academy was to be built where the trailers are going to be?

Was this to make one, once again, believe that a final site was selected for a building in order to garner support from grants or other funding sources?

If it was not the intention of the Academy I think a quick clarification of that item should be made in order to prevent up any misconceptions.

Thanks for this morning's humor!

People from various persuasions criticize The NY Times, The Washington Post, PBS, Fox News all for being hopelessly biased.

Of course....

But the sad fact is that what passes for local news around the country today -- and certainly in this area -- is, from reasons of economics and lethargy, little more than transcribed or lightly rewritten press releases, with the emphasis always on municipal cheer-leading and political backslapping.

Aside from the weather report and school sports scores, thus, I rarely pay attention to any local TV fare; and so missed this trenchant story.

On TV Principal Pellant certainly sounds necessarily positive!

A previous poster assured us that this academy was under the guidance of people educated at top schools, such as Harvard, Yale, and MIT.

However, according to various web sites Dr. Pellant has -- or nearly has -- his EdD in something called "Educational Leadership" from someplace called St. Mary's.

What might that be?

From the St Mary's online broshure for this particular degree:

"Blended Delivery Options

"Saint Mary's University is now offering the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership in a blended delivery format. This option will consist of three, 2 week summer residencies, with the rest of the program completed through online course delivery."

So for this doctorate, you need to be at the college physically for 6 weeks during the summer.

The rest is all online!

ajm3s writes:

in response to RayPray:

Thanks for this morning's humor!

People from various persuasions criticize The NY Times, The Washington Post, PBS, Fox News all for being hopelessly biased.

Of course....

But the sad fact is that what passes for local news around the country today -- and certainly in this area -- is, from reasons of economics and lethargy, little more than transcribed or lightly rewritten press releases, with the emphasis always on municipal cheer-leading and political backslapping.

Aside from the weather report and school sports scores, thus, I rarely pay attention to any local TV fare; and so missed this trenchant story.

On TV Principal Pellant certainly sounds necessarily positive!

A previous poster assured us that this academy was under the guidance of people educated at top schools, such as Harvard, Yale, and MIT.

However, according to various web sites Dr. Pellant has -- or nearly has -- his EdD in something called "Educational Leadership" from someplace called St. Mary's.

What might that be?

From the St Mary's online broshure for this particular degree:

"Blended Delivery Options

"Saint Mary's University is now offering the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership in a blended delivery format. This option will consist of three, 2 week summer residencies, with the rest of the program completed through online course delivery."

So for this doctorate, you need to be at the college physically for 6 weeks during the summer.

The rest is all online!

RayPray:

Is that why there are so many framing shops in Southwest Florida? To frame and mount education accreditation, or is it for fine art? BA or BS?

Given the expedited degree programs now offered, I am waiting to find out who the Guinness World record holder for degrees or number of school matriculations.

My money is on leaders in government industries in Florida which includes municipal and school settings.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

in response to MarcoDefender:

Oc - Is that what you're doing? I don't think you're qualified. If you think you are, post your verifiable credentials please.

MarcoDefender,

What absolute audacity you have to question my qualifications and credentials if what Ray Pray said is true.

You appear to have hired a person to be principal with no "high school experience" and a doctoral degree work from nothing more than an an "ON LINE DEGREE SCHOOL?

Is this what you consider, top notch, qualifications anc credentials for your "World Class Academy"?

Is this the person that will be leading our student's programs in passing FCATs and SATs?

No wonder it took you so long to come up with an answer/excuse about what the experiences and credentials of those 9 teacher finalists, I had asked about a month ago. Where do their degrees come from? What will their experiences be in?

It took you days to post the principal's credentials. Did the CCSB have nothing to say about that? Why is it, truly, taking so long for the credentials of the teacher's to be posted?

The parents need to know all of the facts, not just those you deem fit to publish, in order to make a educated decision.

RayPray writes:

From the Gunga Jane Potemkin High School web site:

"Mr. Pellant will have his Doctorate in Education with Minnesota licensures as a Superintendent, Principal, Director of Special Education, Coach, and Teacher. These credentials have prepared him for the knowledge and abilities needed to be successful at Marco Island Academy."

Notice the mangled verb tense obfuscation from "will have" and "have prepared him" from this "world class" establishment?

From: Lakes Inter

http://www.lakesinternational.org/abo...

"Sr. Chris Pellant...is finished with his Doctorate in Education (all but dissertation) from St. Mary's University in Minneapolis, Minnesota."

How can this doctorate be finished without the thesis being submitted?

Is this thesis written yet? It is nowhere online.

Will it be submitted, challenged, and defended?

Defended physically? Metaphysically?

Submitted, as is today customary for attribution check, to Turnitin.com?

When then is 'Mr.' Pellant expected to metamorphose into 'Dr.' Pellant?

MarcoTrojan writes:

Ocram,

I read the ABC report and I have to wonder how they are going to double up on math classes. I myself am taking precalculus and I can assure you, doubling up that and say Algebra II ( which I took last year) will be fairly rediculous. Also, many kids wont want to delve into calc. because their field of interest doesn't require it. I always wonder if they actually look at the logistics of their claims or if they just improvise in order to make their school look superior.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Marco Trojan,

Very interesting observation on your part.

Could it be that "doubling up" means that they do not have enough math teachers to do the job correctly OR does it mean taking twice as many math classes?

Once again, a need for transparency and clarification are in order.

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to Ocram:

MarcoDefender,

What absolute audacity you have to question my qualifications and credentials if what Ray Pray said is true.

You appear to have hired a person to be principal with no "high school experience" and a doctoral degree work from nothing more than an an "ON LINE DEGREE SCHOOL?

Is this what you consider, top notch, qualifications anc credentials for your "World Class Academy"?

Is this the person that will be leading our student's programs in passing FCATs and SATs?

No wonder it took you so long to come up with an answer/excuse about what the experiences and credentials of those 9 teacher finalists, I had asked about a month ago. Where do their degrees come from? What will their experiences be in?

It took you days to post the principal's credentials. Did the CCSB have nothing to say about that? Why is it, truly, taking so long for the credentials of the teacher's to be posted?

The parents need to know all of the facts, not just those you deem fit to publish, in order to make a educated decision.

Ocram - I told you before, to ensure progress, audacity is a must and beneficial in these controversial times. Yes, I do question your credentials, which you haven't yet shared. Why am I not surprised.

Surely, it's not wise to put too much weight on RayPray's input. It's a clear indication that you both need to get your facts right.

We live in a digital world, your participation in this forum is strong proof of that. Don't enjoy and benefit from the immediacy of global access and communication and then question it's use as a modern and effective learning medium. Would you rather mail in your inputs to these stories via USPS?

Just like your blog name, you got it all backwards again.

Get with the program people. With that news story, Collier School District has officially signed off on the MIA HS, and it's here...to stay. Time to get on board with the benefits or keep your minority opinions to yourself.

If you want justification of the staff, get to work and find out. Don't stand around and cry that officials from MIA haven't responded to your lame blog calls for validation. They surely aren't reading nor care to read your lacking point of view.

Looks like you will have to accept defeat on this one. MIA HS is officially as CCSD school. And, get ready for some strong performance over the next few years. You might consider moving down the road to Everglades City, you might feel more at home there.

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to RayPray:

From the Gunga Jane Potemkin High School web site:

"Mr. Pellant will have his Doctorate in Education with Minnesota licensures as a Superintendent, Principal, Director of Special Education, Coach, and Teacher. These credentials have prepared him for the knowledge and abilities needed to be successful at Marco Island Academy."

Notice the mangled verb tense obfuscation from "will have" and "have prepared him" from this "world class" establishment?

From: Lakes Inter

http://www.lakesinternational.org/abo...

"Sr. Chris Pellant...is finished with his Doctorate in Education (all but dissertation) from St. Mary's University in Minneapolis, Minnesota."

How can this doctorate be finished without the thesis being submitted?

Is this thesis written yet? It is nowhere online.

Will it be submitted, challenged, and defended?

Defended physically? Metaphysically?

Submitted, as is today customary for attribution check, to Turnitin.com?

When then is 'Mr.' Pellant expected to metamorphose into 'Dr.' Pellant?

RayPray - Wow, it looks like you discovered it. Obviously, this whole thing is a plot to confuse the weak minded. Appears like you foiled it.

Then again, your entire posting is full of questions. I take it back, you definitely are confused.

If you dig deeper, you might even find out he has a non original birth certificate from Hawaii. What a conspiracy.

Clearly you're against the school, so why do you care about the principal? You guys need to get a real hobby and enjoy life a little. HINT - Focus on family, you can't go wrong.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Marco Defender,

Once again you do not answer the questions people ask. Just spin something that contributes absolutely nothing, information wise, to the public.

Why did you say that other people are weak minded? It was not mentioned in the questions being asked. Is that something akin to them also being called idiots, recently? All it shows is your animosity of others who do not agree with you.

What does a birth certificate from Hawaii have to do with any of this?

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Islandeye,

It must be getting rough out there. Notice also in the video that the principal is quoted as saying we have 50 applicants for the Academy. That is almost a week after, Jane is quoted above saying that there were 50 applicants and MORE enrollment packets coming in daily. That was six days ago and no increase in enrollees. They need to meet in order to get their stories straight.

Maybe the post office is now routing their mail thru Hawaii also.

RayPray writes:

"Surely, it's not wise to put too much weight on RayPray's input."

>>> St. Mary's University is one of those 'colleges' dotting the boondocks that nobody in the real world ever heard of, which market quasi-online degrees to "busy professionals" in dubious quasi-vocational rather than academic subjects.

>>> But it does have a nice web site, which anyone can check.

"Then again, your entire posting is full of questions."

>>> What 'questions'?

"...you definitely are confused." & "Clearly you're against the school..."

>>> How can both statements apply?

"why do you care about the principal?"

>>> I don't. Some guy smugly bloviating on locale TV.

"HINT - Focus on family, you can't go wrong."

>>> Why do you assume such not already the case?

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Marco Defender

"Ocram - I told you before, to ensure progress,..... Yes, I do question your credentials, which you haven't yet shared. Why am I not surprised."

"Credentials for asking questions, what for?"

Surely, ..........you both need to get your facts right.

"How can we get our facts straight when you change the ones you do post as you are going along."

Should we discuss: school location, the horrible 14 mile trip for only the island kids, class sizes, teacher credentials, people's names as "volunteers" who disclaimed this on community support application to the School Board, organization's names on the same application that never offered support, support groups involved with the Academy with the same problem, done deals, school will be free of cost to parents, school will not use "local" tax dollars, your concern for the environment, your concern for residents on the island...Quite a list and there are more."

We live in a digital world, .... Would you rather mail in your inputs to these stories via USPS?

"If that is the case why don't you open your school over the internet? You could even e-mail their degrees to them. The students could stay at home, as you would wish them to."

Just like your blog name, you got it all backwards again.

"Highly observational and intelligent comment! Should I list all of the blog names you have appeared to post under? And the comments that were made. I still wonder who the "I never ever lose, ever!" proponent is?"

Get with the program people. With that news story, Collier School District has officially signed off on the MIA HS, and it's here...to stay. Time to get on board with the benefits or keep your minority opinions to yourself.

"I think they said the same thing to the people getting on to the Titanic".

"Minority opinion by you has no basis in fact, like most things you claim".
In fact, I haven't found anyone else whose name is not on you list of 250 volunteers who think that a High School on Marco is necessary. How about having a referendum to find out who is correct?"

If you want justification of the staff, get to work and find out. Don't stand around and cry that officials from MIA haven't responded to your lame blog calls for validation. They surely aren't reading nor care to read your lacking point of view.

"If you did not care you would not be protesting so loudly, nor staying up to the weeee hours of the morning responding to them."

Looks like you will have to accept defeat on this one. MIA HS is officially as CCSD school. And, get ready for some strong performance over the next few years. You might consider moving down the road to Everglades City, you might feel more at home there.

"No, You got your way in light of your law suit threats. Your ship will sink on its own.

And once again you find it necessary to "insult our neighbors who may have not been as fortunate you may have."

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Marco Defender,

These are all the "credentials' I need.

Choice---------------------------------“ The proponent's choice, not anyone else’s.”

14 miles-------------------------------“A distance which is longer for my kids to travel than for your kids to travel."

World Class---------------------------“So over used and not verifiable.” (added March 2011, no longer World Class, just an "experimental" charter school)

Volunteer------------------------------“Anyone who asks a question.”

Community Support-----------------“Any group spoken to with or without their consent to be listed as such.”

Letter of Recommendation--------- “Friends writing nice things about friends.”

Infrastructure-------------------------“What infrastructure? Those costs don’t count, anyway.”

Separation of Church and State----“Let’s pretend that Law does not exist.”
Added 11/15/10 We could NOT succeed the first time so lets try to get our lawyers to get around this issue.

Commandeer------------------------- “See Ms. Watt’s letter of recommendation: last line of paragraph 4. “……..overseeing the design of the school and commandeering her “army” of over 200 volunteers.”
Note: see definition of volunteer above.

255 out of 17,000---------------------“This constitutes Community Support?”
And apparantly this constitutes the Majority of the Population living on Marco in some peoples minds. (I was pointed to on March 16, 2011 by Marco Defender that I was in the Minority)

Community Vote---------------------“That which you do not want to have in case it does not go your way.
(added Feb. 2011, I guess we are getting that referendum, finally)

Largest City in Florida without a High School of their own.......Proven to be another falsehood because there are at least 3 other Cities with higher populations in Florida without their own high School. Most of these cities also have a much higher student population than Marco has.

Child Hater.....(aka Old person, with one foot in the grave} added March 2011. "Idiots", People not for the High School on Marco according to one proponant blogger.

"I NEVER EVER LOSE, EVER!".....The rallying call of one very outspoken proponent posted several months ago on this Blog.

TRACT K.....as of 10/15/10 Rumors have it that it is back in the running, once again. Don't let the silence regarding this issue lull you into thinking that it is not being presently discussed. (added February 2011, Taken officially out of play by the Marco Island Eagle Sanctuary and "SIGNED OFF" by the CCSB).

EAGLES.....How can we find a way to have their "lease" run out?

MOSQUITO SPRAY.....A necessary item to have along with books and paper.

Teacher Credentials and Experience....We do not need to publish that. The public should ASSUME that we are doing the right thing.

Doctorate in Education....6 weeks in school, the remainder on the internet.

Field trip....Accross road to Mangroves we will go!.
...

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

FIELD TRIP...Hi ho, Hi ho, across the road we will go!

DOUBLE UP MATH...Is that twice the math at one time or is it two teachers to teach one class because neither knows enough?

MISSION STATEMENT...If I do not get my way I will sue, bully, threaten and stamp my feet.

EAST NAPLES AND THE EVERGLADES...A place for opponents should go and live with the "criminals" and less intelligent people as per Marco Defender and/or other proponent.

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to islandeye1#236971:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

Island - Fundraising is not my concern, raising awareness with facts and objective input to the limited minded is my concern. So, no, in response to your question.

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to Ocram:

Marco Defender,

Once again you do not answer the questions people ask. Just spin something that contributes absolutely nothing, information wise, to the public.

Why did you say that other people are weak minded? It was not mentioned in the questions being asked. Is that something akin to them also being called idiots, recently? All it shows is your animosity of others who do not agree with you.

What does a birth certificate from Hawaii have to do with any of this?

Oc - If there were actually reasonably considered questions, it would be worthwhile to respond. Yes, I suppose the truth is that I do have animosity for bloggers who clearly are against the program, but offer no value with their blog contributions. The labels used are earned, but not because I brought attention to that fact. All these attacks about questioning the figures, questioning the credentials, etc. Your written contributions make it appear that you don't believe anything written about the MIA HS. That's not constructive input, it's destructive. Go verify what is questionable in your mind and then we can have an objective debate about it.

I'll do a better job of refraining from the poorly shared labels of some. I agree, it's not really ideal.

So, speaking of open questions. Can you share your credentials now? Verifiable please.

I'm sorry the Hawaii thing went over your head. Just a poor attempt to link some political humor in the mix.

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to Ocram:

Marco Defender,

These are all the "credentials' I need.

Choice---------------------------------“ The proponent's choice, not anyone else’s.”

14 miles-------------------------------“A distance which is longer for my kids to travel than for your kids to travel."

World Class---------------------------“So over used and not verifiable.” (added March 2011, no longer World Class, just an "experimental" charter school)

Volunteer------------------------------“Anyone who asks a question.”

Community Support-----------------“Any group spoken to with or without their consent to be listed as such.”

Letter of Recommendation--------- “Friends writing nice things about friends.”

Infrastructure-------------------------“What infrastructure? Those costs don’t count, anyway.”

Separation of Church and State----“Let’s pretend that Law does not exist.”
Added 11/15/10 We could NOT succeed the first time so lets try to get our lawyers to get around this issue.

Commandeer------------------------- “See Ms. Watt’s letter of recommendation: last line of paragraph 4. “……..overseeing the design of the school and commandeering her “army” of over 200 volunteers.”
Note: see definition of volunteer above.

255 out of 17,000---------------------“This constitutes Community Support?”
And apparantly this constitutes the Majority of the Population living on Marco in some peoples minds. (I was pointed to on March 16, 2011 by Marco Defender that I was in the Minority)

Community Vote---------------------“That which you do not want to have in case it does not go your way.
(added Feb. 2011, I guess we are getting that referendum, finally)

Largest City in Florida without a High School of their own.......Proven to be another falsehood because there are at least 3 other Cities with higher populations in Florida without their own high School. Most of these cities also have a much higher student population than Marco has.

Child Hater.....(aka Old person, with one foot in the grave} added March 2011. "Idiots", People not for the High School on Marco according to one proponant blogger.

"I NEVER EVER LOSE, EVER!".....The rallying call of one very outspoken proponent posted several months ago on this Blog.

TRACT K.....as of 10/15/10 Rumors have it that it is back in the running, once again. Don't let the silence regarding this issue lull you into thinking that it is not being presently discussed. (added February 2011, Taken officially out of play by the Marco Island Eagle Sanctuary and "SIGNED OFF" by the CCSB).

EAGLES.....How can we find a way to have their "lease" run out?

MOSQUITO SPRAY.....A necessary item to have along with books and paper.

Teacher Credentials and Experience....We do not need to publish that. The public should ASSUME that we are doing the right thing.

Doctorate in Education....6 weeks in school, the remainder on the internet.

Field trip....Accross road to Mangroves we will go!.
...

Oc - Bottom line, there's no need for community approval for a school that is compulsory in the state of Florida. HS age kids must go to school, by law. Hell, it's the reason that Charter Law exists here. If there's community demand, and funding supports it, you can sign up with the local school district and satisfy all their requirements (along with some silly monkey drills) and earn a charter contract. MIA HS just did this. That's fact.

If think it will fail, that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. It's very unlikely, but if you can sleep better with this thought, that's fine. Whatever floats your boat.

All your other bullet points are moot, especially all the volunteer comments. That's history, get over it.

MI has a high school, you people against it will come to accept it. You don't have to like it, but it will have students starting in August and only expected to get better each year. If you struggle with this, I would recommend counseling or chemical therapy. You choose what suits you best.

Good luck with that.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Marco Defender,

Is what I am hearing you say is that misrepresnting the truth in the past does not mean anything, because it is history?

How can someone believe anything you say now, if you have that point of view?

Since you know how much value counciling and chemical therapy would help someone else could it be that is what you need or have been using to get by. Naybe it is time for you to Double Up on that.

My boat floats just fine, it is you my dear lady, that needs to take off the rose colored sun glasses, put down the paint brush and learn how to swim.

The Titanic sank, too.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot writes:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

Is_It_True_Partially_True_Or_Not_True (Inactive) writes:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

20_Days writes:

Dubrovnik, Please do not say things on this blog that are so out of line. Thank You

20_Days writes:

Everybody,
Why don't we all try to be civil? Some of these comments are both immature and hurtful. Please stop!

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

in response to MarcoIslandWoman:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

Marianne,

You do not know how correct you are.
Not even if you change your blog name from Klabautermann to Herzili!

ajm3s writes:

in response to captnjimbo:

I am not looking for a fight, but the turtle argument is bothersome...I don't hear anyone remembering that before they showed up this Island for the most part was teaming with wildlife...which was plowed over, or chased away. This in the name of human progress. Same discussion for strip malls, hotels, community centers, other schools, churches, roads, sewage disposal, hospitals. Fortunately the animals are more adaptable, they can live almost anywhere. I was here 25 years ago and when most of us were carving out our homesteads we had little regard for inconveniemcing some turtles...kind of sounds a little sanctimonious to be used as an argument against a school.

Again...not looking for a debate...just wanted to put out a perspective that I had not seen blogged before.

You are correct, but the MIA makes claims of environment sensitivity, green building technology, efficient use of resources etc. etc.

So again, I ask why would an organization with a mission statement and world view and environmental sensitivity make a choice (among the available locations) of raw land.

The veracity of the MIA message vis-a-vis their actions taken will only confirm that the message was for garnering wide support and not conviction of principles they espouse. At least in terms of the environment. So now what I am to assume for the educational program they are promoting? Is it real, is it experimental, is it just another marketing campaign.

I will go out on a limb and predict that none of the teachers hired will have attended or been trained under the leading edge organizations they acknowledge in their literature.

I believe in Charter Schools, but I also believe in quality education, not a political debate or slick advertising.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

ajm3s,

Did anyone expect anything different from a proponet, Marco Defender, who said that misinformation posted in the past was "history" and that we "should get over it"?

All that this group had was a marketing campaign to attempt to convince parents that there was something there, when there really was little more than plans.

You had reasons for the school which were later dropped. You had claims that we were the only City in Florida without a high school, which we are not.

Now one of the main reasons posted was that the reason we should have a high school is because they "can" under some poorly thought out Charter School Law.

We are being told about the selection of teachers from "all over the country". Rumors have it that most of the ones hired are from much closer to home. If this is in fact the case, what secondary experience do they have at the high school level and are they "really, presently, qualified" to teach at the high school level or are you going to be satisified with the same lack of real experience at the high school level that the newly doctored principal has?

Parents, don't be sold a bill of goods without checking out the facts and unsubstantiated claims. What will happen if you decide to pull your kids out of the Academy during the school year? How will they "fit in" whereever else you decide to send them. Ask questions do not assume anything.

MarcoTrojan writes:

The funny part about this whole argument is that the demant on marco island for this school doesn't exist. Every Marco kid I know in Lely is against this school. I would question the demand of this school considering this is the case. Also, parents constantly are forcing their kids into schools the kids themselves don't want to be in. Each eight grade class has a couple of people that end up at Barron or Community and these kids show up at Lely football games regularly and even attend the Lely homecoming. Unfortunantly I see this as being the case here as well.

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features