WMissow writes:

Nice going city council! I wonder if they make hat sizes to fit your heads?

2themoon writes:

Im guessing Kramer isnt a syndicate puppet...

WizeOlMarco writes:

Why is this a joke? MICA defends the deed covenants, from my perspective as a property owner, good. City zoning and land use plans should be consistent with the deed covenants, if not, why? Investors took a risk and lost, that's capitalism. From a mini golf customer.

2themoon writes:

If this was Tucker or Winward who built this place do you really think that MICA would have treated them the way theyre treating Kraemer?
Please save your responses because we all know the answer.

WMissow: This has nothing to do with City Council. Nothing!!! The issue here is that Fred Kramer just thought that he was above MICA and did not need their approval. As it appears, he did and does need their approval and now it is too late.

I am certain that something will be negotiated if Mr. Kramer's ego allows it.

WizeOlMarco is right on with his/her statement. MICA was mandated to enforce Deed Restrictions and Architectural Reviews on behalf of Deltona.

I bet not many of you knew that horses are not allowed to be kept on property on Marco Island, by Deed Restriction. Just another example of an idea that would not have gone far, as far as MICA is concerned. I learned this after the fact, but it is significant!!!

We should all be members of MICA and support them for supporting us, the property owners on Marco Island. Thank you MICA !!!

2themoon writes:

LadueVGilleo writes:

The Kramers fought the law and the law won.

All they had to do was the right thing; apply with MICA. MICA gave the Kramers several opportunities to do so, and they chose to ignore them. Now they have to pay the price.

People may not like the idea of having to apply with MICA, but until it changes that's the way it is.

WizeOlMarco writes:

in response to GorchFock:

Klaus. Let's say I pick up and collect stuff from the curbs Wed nights, haul it to my garage for sorting, then sell it at a monthly garage sale. Does that mean I can install a car crusher at my house because I already started a recycling business? Yes, the mini golf investment is capitalism, even capitalism has rules and regulations. My example is absurd, but so is thinking that something built trumps the rules or laws.

20andout writes:

This is a positive thing for Marco Island, lets get past the BS and make this happen, MICA should help get this done its good for all.....

2themoon writes:

Kraemer is a good attorney, im sure he knows hes sitting on a goldmine of a discrimination suit against MICA. How times has MICA failed to apply deed restrictions to other 'entities' on this island in the past? Its all there for the pickn.
Fred I hope yoy have the huevos to fight this.

captnjimbo writes:

I get the message and if Mica does not use their authority consistently the will lose their authority.

That said, why did they not get this injunction prior to the construction...there was plenty in the news as the application process was in the works. Was Mica asleep?

LadueVGilleo writes:

Read the article: “The property owners are responsible for bringing in the construction plans,” McCann said. “MICA contacted the Kramers through a letter and the builder several times, but no plans were given to MICA.”

It sounds to me like the Kramers and their builder were the ones who were asleep.

ProfZed writes:

It seems that Marco Island is a nice place to visit, but to live there or do business there is a nightmare. Last week there was an article about the town council wanting to "get tough" on residents who have code violations, big and minor. Respondents to that article wrote that the plan is to get rid of older homes in favor of brand new houses on those lots. (We would be looking to purchase one of those older houses.)

Now, what looks to be a very nice, pleasant miniature golf course might be forced to close. Anyone have good things to write about concerning living and doing business on Marco Island? We've been thinking of making the permanent move there, but now we're a little bit worried. Perhaps I just shouldn't read these articles!

LadueVGilleo writes:

in response to ProfZed:

There is more fiction in this blog than you will find in the Marco Island Library.

2themoon writes:

in response to ProfZed:

Prof, i strongley suggest you go ask HOMEOWNERS- not condo owners or business owners on the island..but homeowners what they think of Marco...just my suggestion.

ProfZed: If your intent, as expressed herein, is in fact sincere, then you need to understand a major aspect of life here on Marco Island. There are some, like 2themoon and others (you can tell from the blogs) who bought here on Marco as a retirement place 40 or so years ago. These residents (condo or home) would just as soon not see any tourist related activities, schools, new streets or any improvements that will move Marco island into the future. You can read their emotions in the blogs, which should not be taken seriously in the first place, especially without names attached to them.
Marco Island is a GREAT place to live. This whole article revolves around Mr. Fred Kramer, a local attorney, who has always had it in for MICA, made this a "test case" on his own. He appears to have lost. That loss is actually the Island's gain in that we have a Civic Association that watches out for our best interest and the original Developers Best Interest.
The majority of Islanders welcome your effort to become one of us and encourage you to do so. To make your decision or let it be affected by these blogs is a huge error in judgment on your part.

MrBreeze writes:

Profzed, As I wrote in the blog last week if you are thinking about purchasing an older home on Marco Island forget it your time will be limited.

I purchased my old Deltona home in 2000 and I love it. However if you see the mindset of Marco Island it is like joining a Country Club.

I myself saw that. I visited the island from the late eighties and always wanted a home to retire there. I purchased in 2000 far in advance of retirement and have seen the changes. Some folks think progress will prosper the island while others want the Island to remain the same as Deltona Corp. and the Mackle Bros. envisioned.

MICA was formed to carry on Deltona Deed Restrictions. I believe MICA has served the residents well although I believe we should not have to "join" any group as that should have come with ownership. I believe MICA should be a part of the City Planning Process and MICA Restrictions should overlay that plan for compliance.

So Profzed I will say this this Island is divided bad. The money factor is huge. Money drives this Island and money is this island. If you have money you are welcomed. If you are a regular Joe stay away you will not be happy. I see the divisions are deep and it is all about the money.

2themoon writes:

Prof,
If you like having your own opinion, own a pet, have kids or your not an old crotchity wealthy,paranoid, retired ex-CEO...STAY AWAY, STAY FAR AWAY!!!

LadueVGilleo writes:

Prof

You know what they say about opinions. They are like you-know-what; everybody has one.

Marco Island is a great place to live; talk to homeowners and don't believe everything written in this blog.

mahiman writes:

Good for MICA!! Attorney Kramer thinks he's above the law. Now he found out he's not!

2themoon writes:

ProfZed,
Check out this website put together by aconcerned Marco citizen

ProfZed writes:

Thank you to all for the interesting responses to my above comment. I have read in previous blogs about a Marco Island "Homeowners vs. Condo-owners" situation going on. I'm curious to know more about that, but I suppose this really isn't the place for that. My wife says I need to stay away from all politics! I am curious as to who has actually seen the miniature golf course. Is it nice? (My above comment was based on the photo which accompanied the original article.) Does it add to Marco Island? Or does it not really belong where it's located? I have to say that other than articles such as this, pretty much everything I've experienced about Marco Island has been positive.

LadueVGilleo writes:

in response to 2themoon:

ProfZed,
Check out this website put together by aconcerned Marco citizen

Are you kidding me? If that blog was offering investment advice, don't tell me you would follow it??

Only one person contributes to the blog; how many people do you think actually read it?

Looks to me like someone's glorified hobby...

LadueVGilleo writes:

in response to ProfZed:

I think the golf course is quite nice and should be a welcomed addition to Marco Island; however, the owning group should have played nice with MICA. If they had, there would have been no problems, no article, no blog, and you would have had no concerns about your future on Marco Island. But they didn't, and we know the rest of the story.

The miniature golf course will survive, but only after the owners put on a very pretty dog-and-pony show for MICA. It could have been avoided: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. This is a classic.

MarcoDefender writes:

Time for a referendum...to eliminate MICA.

We're a city now, how many organizations do we need to "ensure" the right things happen? The golf course is thriving, it's more income for the city and other local businesses and the city approved it. Let's move on, surely there are larger problems this island must deal with. Why is this even an issue now?

LadueVGilleo writes:

in response to MarcoDefender:

Time for a referendum...to eliminate MICA.

Good luck with your referendum; do you really expect to get rid of a non-profit corporation serving over 20,000 residents?

2themoon writes:

in response to LadueVGilleo:

Yes and good luck getting rid of A.C.O.R.N. they are a non profit org. serving over 30 million residents..whats your point???
Ladue you really seem defensive of MICA..

MrBreeze writes:

For these "blogs" to mean nothing she sure is on top of them posting her opinions.

Northerner writes:

Why don't all you anti-MICA folks just build a giant circus tent over the island and get it over with already! Don't you want to preserve what's left of MI's natural beauty. Convention centers, destroying wildlife to put up unsightly trailers they call a high school, mega community center, horse drawn carriage, mini golf, parking garages...give mother nature a break! Thank god for those that fought for the Eagle Sanctuary. MI and the world for that matter needs more people like that!

WizeOlMarco writes:

in response to MarcoDefender:

Time for a referendum...to eliminate MICA.

Shooting the messenger won't work. Eliminating MICA by referendum would not remove deed covenants, though over time it may lead to lack of covenant enforcement. Covenants are removed by legal process resulting in a court order or vote specific to the covenant.

Cityhood does not eliminate or usurp covenants. MICA has an important role, balancing economic forces that would completely change the Island's land development and use pattern. There is no larger challenge than balancing the varied interests demonstrated by this discussion. This issue is not new or going away.

Northerner writes:

Thank you, I take that as a compliment. I wish I could go back to yesteryear and stop the actions of the selfish man (like yourself), that are hastening the demise of nature/mankind!

happy6 writes:

Kramer had a fool for a client...HIMSELF..as usual.

2themoon writes:

in response to Northerner:

Why if MICA is so against the demise of nature/mankind why then did they help the syndicate push the the STRP..which allows for more massive buiding on Marco?

Northerner writes:

Moon, you know all too well the reason for the STRP is to prevent toxic substances from seeping into the waterways. I'm not sure how it allows for massive building as you claim...grasping at straws on that one.

LadueVGilleo writes:

Moon, if there is to be more massive building on Marco, let's hope the builders present their plans to MICA before they begin their projects!!

2themoon writes:

in response to Northerner:

Are u clueless?? Developers can not build the bohemeth houses they are now builing on Marco( have you been on the island lately?) without the STRP... Septic tanks limit the size of the property they service, with a sewer line there is NO limit to the size of the builing you can contstruct.
As for toxic substance leaking into the water ways..where you got that one from i have no idea, marco water ways were rated an A by the state before the city and the cronies started to lie about septics polluting the canals...its a black eye this city will never live down especially the way they tried to destroy the reputations of the citizens who questioned the STRP...complete shame!

Northerner writes:

Moon, get over it... your septic system is gone and it's for the better. Systems eventually fail and even if they don't fail it's impossible to prevent fecal coliform and a host of other harmful bacteria and toxins from leaching into the water especially during the rainy season. You claim MI's water was rated A, but for how long? Should you wait until it's a C or D or until you or your family gets sick from eating contaminated fish. It is what it is...people all over this country including me, are being forced to connect to public sewer. I'm paying almost double what you did 6 years ago, so quit your whining. Think of it as good investment in your town’s future. Oh and by, YOU need to get a clue... because "bohemeth" houses were built long before the STRP...where have you been

2themoon writes:

ProfZ,
There are a lot of good people on Marco but there are a lot of clowns like Northerner (probably a syndicate member) youre gonna have to bow to. The arrogance of this guy, can u imagine shoving an illegal 140 million dollar STRP project down the throats of the Marco Homeowner under the false pretense of "your water is going to be a C or D someday"...I cant make this stuff up Prof.

MrBreeze writes:

2themoon you are right STRP was another step towards total rebuild of the Island. Sewer service is a great thing the way they went about was the bad thing. It did clear the way for build out on all lots and teardowns to again ramp up.

Northerner, You also raise good points. In normal Citys sewer service is welcomed as good for the area. I am sure you have seen it before where land that was non-buildable was turned buildable when the sewer came available. On Marco Island there is only so much land period. Thats what makes it so unique. It is a island remember. That is what drives it money,money,money.

LadueVGilleo writes:

Prof

If you are still following this thread, there are those of us who think you can tell who the real clowns are.

August8 writes:

in response to MrBreeze:

More inconsistances, they never stop. According to all your previous posts you said you were not retired and in your late 40's and work hard every day my, my, what's up with this fib? Everone knows when it comes to spending money they can count you out so why waist your ink?
Shame on you MrBreeze, shame !! It took a security guard to cut through your stuff, oh boy.
Shish, just shish !!! Go enjoy the beech!

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to Northerner:

North - Why can't MICA hand the reins over to the city, where deed limitations can be inclusive of the existing approval process? MI is a city, not a Sierra Club Park. Cities need schools, community centers, places to park and entertainment businesses, like min-golf. Give me a break, does the mini-golf place really disturb the nature of an empty field, which it was it was before? Those nuts they call eagle conservationists were selfish and crooked, particularly in the manner to which they leased Tract K. Let them not be used as an example of favored behavior. We do not need more people who put animals before people. If that's what you prefer, time to make the move to the Glades, where you can have all that. In the meantime, let's start forward progress, with diligent consideration for balance, which is really what nature is all about anyway!

August8 writes:

Oh MRBreeze, don't forget to read my above post, please !!!

August8 writes:

in response to GorchFock:

Are you MRBreeze, if not shut-up

WMissow writes:

in response to GorchFock:

Once again, yesterdayman appears to TRUMP all.

Judge Hayes just issued an order to have the property returned to its original state.

Thank you MICA!!

MrBreeze writes:

Augustfool Where is the Lie? I am in my late 40's 49 to be exact. Purchased home in late 2000 Still working harder than you, not retired, not looking to live with Mom as you probally do. So tell me Jr. Detective where is the lie?????

Better get your game of Clue out and retry. Or maybee one of those 8 balls that answer the question. All the time while burning Mom's electric and running to the Slurpee machine.

What do you own August big shot. Notice how you never speak of where you live or what kind of home you own on Marco Island. Ever notice that???
Try to read my posts it talked about the STRP try to figure out what it stands for. Use your great wisdom.

How much did Mom I mean you pay towards STRP? I await your answer.

August8 writes:

in response to MrBreeze:

How much did Mom I mean you pay towards STRP? I await your answer.

Hey MRBreeze, read your own posts silly guy. I did not call you a lier I just said fib because that's what it is. As far as what I have, well just keep your eye's out and up and you may see.
No, not a big shot just a smart security guard that can tell fibs when I read them,so?I sure don't own one of those old Deltona jobs, how embarrising.
Shish

Northerner writes:

Wow MarcoOffender, name calling...a sure sign of defeat and desperation. I didn't think it was possible but you've sunk to a new low. Is name calling and arrogance the "favored behavior" we should all follow or is killing endangered animals to satify ones selfish needs the "favored behavior." It is quite disturbing that you think killing animals and their habitat for a trailer park is a balance with nature...scary, really! If you want a big concrete city, move to Manhattan and take your self centered twin Jane with you! Do yourself a favor and humble yourself. Volunteer your time at a nursing home, childrens cancer unit, homeless shelter or even the humane society. Do something to bring yourself down off your high horse.

MrBreeze writes:

Northerner, You have it right. I would be proud to be your neighbor and fellow Marco Island Resident.

MrBreeze writes:

Augustfool You must have flunked the first grade at Elementary School. Lie and fib are the same but maybee not in you world where it is not.

I am proud of my "old Deltona Job" of a home. It speaks loud of the history of Marco Island and the accomplishments of the Mackle Bros. who I find to be the symbol of Marco Island.

Me and my embarrising "old Deltona job" will be around for a long, long time as it is my symbol of being able to purchase and enjoy it.

August, I still believe you do not even live on the island. That may be your "fib"

Go get a slurpee.