Thursday did not bode well for Marco Island rescue staff hoping for a quiet week leading up to Christmas, and it will cast a pall over the holiday of one resident who is out of his home.
A house fire at 1049 Cottonwood Court brought out fire rescue personnel from Marco, Isles of Capri and East Naples to contain a blaze that started in the kitchen and ate through support trusses in the roof around 3 p.m.
Resident Eugene Ostrom was home eating lunch at the time the fire started in his microwave. It burned through the microwave, up the wall and through the roof. Josh Pinter, 16, was returning home from school when he spotted the smoke down the street and called 911.
Residents were calling Josh a hero after Thursday’s rescue, in which he was credited with helping get Ostrom out of the house and directing emergency crews to the scene before any further tragedy struck.
Little damage could be observed from the exterior of the home, but Division Chief Chris Byrne said the damage to the interior of the home was "extensive."
Ostrom, nevertheless, was upbeat, and said that all that was lost was physical and could be replaced.
While firefighters were occupied taming the blaze on Cottonwood, members of the Golden Gate Fire Rescue Department operated backup on the island, and had to respond to a call of a child that was accidentally locked inside a car near Hoot’s restaurant on East Elkcam Circle. Marco Island Police and a worker for Bald Eagle Towing showed up and were quickly able to unlock the car.