Marco Island City Manager Bill Moss presented himself in his interview with the Naples City Council Monday as a hands-on manager who can adapt himself to the needs of a diverse council.
As one of six candidates appearing before the Naples council Monday morning, Moss was tasked with selling himself to a city he has the advantage of knowing well through proximity, which likewise is very aware of his history with the city just 20 minutes down the road.
Naples council members made reference to some of the controversy surrounding Moss's tenure, including a failed attempt to subject the city manager position to a voter referendum.
Councilor Bill Willkomm posed the question to Moss of how he has "been able to so well handle the conflict with sewers" on Marco Island as a lead-in to a possible Naples capital improvement project to overhaul storm drains.
"If we had to do it over again, we would probably try to increase communications early on and contribute to buy-in (by residents)," he said. "I tried to caution the City Council that though they were not getting negative feedback, that it was not going to stay that way."
The need for good communication was a common thread running through the interview, with Vice Mayor Johnny Nocera asking Moss to explain how he is a good communicator.
Photo by LESLIE WILLIAMS HALE, Eagle staff // Buy this photo
"That's a skill I continue to learn from month to month," he said.
He identified contact with both news media and citizens as important facets of a manager's communication skills, and said he never passes off an opportunity to speak to an organization.
Communication was one area in which the Marco Island City Council said Moss could grow during his yearly review September.
On an optional score sheet completed by most of the councilors, Moss received fours and fives in every area except communication, where he was typically rated a three.
Councilor Terri DiSciullo said she would like to see Moss get out and speak with residents more, though the Marco council was roundly positive of Moss's willingness to communicate with his staff and council members.
After watching the televised interview, Marco Councilor Ted Forcht emailed the Naples council with a recommendation of Moss, underlining Moss's professionalism and knowledge, despite Forcht's opposition to some of the directives carried out by Moss.
"Being one of the dissidents on the City Council it would have been easy for Mr. Moss to ignore or dismiss me and my concerns, concentrating his efforts on the majority who were directing him," Forcht wrote. "Much to my surprise this didn't occur. If I had a question, requested information, or asked for an on-sight inspection of a facility or plant he would provide it or direct his staff to accommodate me."
Naples City Council will meet in a 3 p.m. special-called session Tuesday to discuss the candidates. The meeting will take place after deadline, so go to marconews.com or read Thursday's edition of the Eagle for results from the meeting.
BILL MOSS NAMED NAPLES CITY MANAGER
- POLL: How do you feel about Bill Moss getting the Naples city manager job?
- DOCUMENTS: Read Moss' contract. 377 kb .pdf file
- RESUME: Daniel W. Fitzpatrick 1.1MB .pdf file
- RESUME: Wm. G. Hinchey 1.1MB .pdf file
- RESUME: A. William Moss 1.1MB .pdf file
- RESUME: Hector A. Rivera, Sr. 1.1MB .pdf file
- RESUME: Patrick G. Salerno 1.1MB .pdf file
- RESUME: Linda Lovvorn Tucker 1.1MB .pdf file
- PHOTO GALLERY: Interview for Naples city manager job
- PHOTO GALLERY: Naples City Manager Candidates
- RELATED: Bill Moss named new Naples city manager (10-23-07)
- RELATED: Search for Naples city manager ends Tuesday (10-22-07)
- RELATED: The six candidates: What they said in their interviews (10-22-07)
- RELATED: Marco's Moss goes before Naples council (10-22-07)
- RELATED: SPECIAL REPORT: Pick from six: The field narrows for next Naples city manager (10-20-07)
- RELATED: SPECIAL REPORT: Six candidates for Naples city manager (10-20-07)
- RELATED: Marco's Moss makes list of six for Naples manager interviews (10-15-07)
- RELATED: Sanibel city manager drops out of race for same job in Naples (10-11-07)
- RELATED: Marco, Sanibel managers in top 10 for Naples city manager post (10-01-07)
- POLL: In the wake of Bill Moss' positive review, pay raise and talk of departure, do you approve of the job he is doing?
- RELATED: 61 apply for Naples city manager job (09-28-07)
- RELATED: Marco's Bill Moss seeking Naples manager position (09-24-07)
- RELATED: Bill Moss' e-mail to councilors about interest in Naples city manager job (09-24-07)
- RELATED: Marco city manager gets high marks from council (09-17-07)