Bill Green: Tract K, a high school and Lely

Protecting our children or overprotecting them?

I’ve received quite a few comments concerning the proposal for Tract K — a solar farm for Collier Schools and a community athletic field.

A few individuals, who’d really like to see a high school there, are sad the dream may be dying.

Before I throw in my two cents, let me make a couple of things clear: I have no problem with the current plan; and I’m not against Marco Island getting a high school. In fact, I think Collier County should consider a performing arts high school for the island — one that could attract students from all over. The limited size of Tract K, or the like, would be perfect for a school that doesn’t require much in the way of athletics and Marco Island is the perfect community for such a school.

All that aside, my thoughts today pertain to the few of you who desire a high school because they don’t want to send their precious children to Lely High School. There, I said it. More than one person has mentioned it to me — i.e. we need a high school so the island teens aren’t forced to mingle with the likes of immigrant children and hoodlums. Some say freely, as if unaware that they’re being extremely racist and elitist.

Yes, Lely has a lot of immigrant teens. Yes, it may reflect poorly on overall performance; but it doesn’t mean you can’t get a quality education there. Lely has quite a few superstars. Let’s also remember how hard all these teens are working both in and out of school. Many of them hold jobs, not to buy CDs or concert tickets, but to help their families put food on the table.

Also, how many U.S. born teens are fluent in another language? How would their test scores be if they had to take an exam in Spanish or Creole?

And yes, Lely has had a few troublemakers. So has Marco Island. That behavior crosses all ethnic lines and social barriers.

But go ahead, keep your precious children away from the immigrant children and the “troublemakers.” Nothing prepares a child more for the hard life lessons than complete isolation from the real world. Please note the sarcasm.

I know a lot of the hostility toward the children of color comes from the fact that they or their parents, in some cases, are here illegally. But they’re still children who had little to do with the decision. And it’s not so long ago that many of our parents, grandparents or great grandparents were immigrants, too.

I know for a fact that if my family’s well-being depended on it, I would do just about anything to feed and protect them. I believe the same is true for most of you. So while we may not approve of their actions, let’s do better to understand them. A little tolerance goes a long way.

And if you feel that Lely has some genuine challenges (and don’t all schools?), ask yourself, ‘what can I do to help?’ Rather than just focusing on a high school that may never be built, let’s support our children today by focusing our efforts to advance the school we already have.

© 2009 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

ed34145 writes:

Bravo!

Fossil writes:

What can we do about the twenty mile round trip?

Beach_Bums writes:

Bill,
First, our children are precious and I can assume that only a bottomhole without kids would make a comment such as yours. Why do you choose to work for a newspaper on lily white Marco Island? Is it because you got a lousy education and can't get a job with a major newspaper? In a day and age where we now have a black president it's sad to see you play the race card. Even you should be able to understand that most parents want what is best for their children and sending them to a D rated school certainly falls short of that. So stir the racial pot some more and go for the cheap and easy out. Obviously you miss the point of why many Marco Island parents want an excellent education for their precious children, it is so they won't grow up like you.

MarcoFam6 writes:

When you think you have heard it all here comes this guy.

I wonder do you have children? If so would you honestly say that you would send them to Lely? Or is this just an underhanded way of getting what you really want?

I DO NOT want my children going to Lely. I am not racist... I dislike everyone equally. I want my children to have a great education and also a great school experience so they can go out into the world and prosper. Lely can't offer that. You can keep writing and speaking about your point and what you want but just remember pulling the race/bigotry card doesn't always work.

lelystudent239 writes:

I am in my third year at Lely High. I have a 4.6 GPA, have taken multiple AP classes, and I recently scored a 2000 on my SAT on the first take. If you WANT to do well, and you take the appropriate classes, then you WILL recieve "an excellent education."

Those looking to protect their children should know I have encountered more horrific disrespect and bad behavior from the kids on the Marco bus than with any other "immigrant children and hoodlums" I have encountered at school.

You people make me ashamed to be from the island.

happy6 writes:

bill...you are a complete moron and an embarassment to this city. Lely has graduated many super students...i live in a neighborhood where 8 Lely grads are on scholarships to florida schools...it's there is you want it and your parents support you....immigrant or not...the race card you played has no business on this island....you need to pack your big butt off the island....you are a poor example for the media.

freedomofspeech1 writes:

THE TRUTH HURTS! Yes, Bill you have said the truth and as Rosenblum said, "Lily" Marco Island cant accept it. I say, keep speaking the truth.
And there is MORE! How about school choice and Out of Zone..This is the core of the problem. Most schools in this country require you to attend the school you are zoned for....PERIOD!
Only in this ridiculous state do they allow you to abandon your neighbors and send your kid 35-45 minutes away from your home instead of what Bill said...FOCUS OUR EFFORTS ON THE SCHOOL WE ALREADY HAVE! It is too easy for the snobbish and Racist may I add Marco Islander to request an out of zone or even more ridiculous, rent/buy an apartment in the other zone to manipulate the system. This too should be stopped. You should only be allowed to enroll your student in the school where you are homesteaded...this will stop the "creativity".
MarcoFam6...you claim to not be racist but you "dislike everyone equally"...That tells me you have ZERO credibility and must have ZERO friends. Van...you are typical Marco, when you dont hear what you want, you want that person to move off the island! Yes Van, we must eliminate the opposition!
I find this whole discussion ridiculous when the original issue was "What do we do with Tract K?" and it has turned into...LELY BASHING BY A BUNCH OF RACISTS!
For the record, the Collier County School Board pours as much money into the Lely school as they do any other school(per student). The teachers at Lely are just as qualified as those at any other school. The curriculum and facilities are the same as any other school. So to say that Lely is inferior becuase of a grade on an FCAT is RIDICULOUS! Lely is no more a D school than the Marco Charter or TBE is an A. The only reason Charter or TBE is an A is because we have been allowed to keep the "immigrants and hoodlums" to a minimum. The education and tools at these schools are equal. So having said that, we come back to Bill's editorial for the difference....The difference is that the Racist Marco parent cant stand to have their "Lily white" baby walk the halls with the REAL WORLD!!!
It appears no one from Lely or parents who send their kids to Lely will convince you. Bottom line is go ask the marco kids that go to Lely and almost to a person they will tell you they LOVE lely and wouldnt trade the experience for any other school. That is all I need to know.
You parents can keep doing what you "think" is better for your kids and our Lely kids will continue to grow in a realistic educational environment. We dont care what an FCAT score says... we know that it is "skewed" due to the percentage of students that cant understand it because of a language barrier...WE KNOW Lely is not a D school.
It is sad that most of you are too blind to see that!

waterday writes:

freedomofspeech1- have you lost your mind? Lely is a D school! Why? because the teachers are not bringing it up to an A school. The staff at Lely needs to bring all students- white, black, mexican, haitian (rich & poor)- up to learning standards. If the teachers do not care enough to make this school a better school- by discipline, not tolerating drop-outs by giving up on students, and by teaching wiser and smarter kids, that are disadvantaged along with our "lily white" children as you clearly are being racist to Marco children with this remark. Grow Up, and Wise Up. You will continue to hear from parents and the community. A D school is NOT acceptable, and who wants to have their children go from A school to D school. I have one child at this school and my child does fine. A student. My child does not love the school, my child says it is okay. Some teachers are great and some of the teachers there are not. In fact, some of the teachers at Lely do NOT send their precious "lily white" Marco children to this school. This is a known fact. So unless you can change the rating of this school from a D, and have teachers teach wiser and care more, parent of Marco will continue to not support this school. Lely loses more Marco children each year to other public and private schools. This is a fact. The numbers are increasing and families leave the island. All Lely children deserve better. The reporter, Bill, should be ashamed of his s----- story and have to apologize to the Marco children for his racist comments to the Marco parents and children. I won't be reading his work, find a new professional reporter, please!

freedomofspeech1 writes:

25years........
YOU are not listening to me.....LELY IS NOT A D SCHOOL! The school received a D grade as a result of a standardized test that some of their students have no chance of passing regardless of who their teacher is. Because people send their students to other schools, Lely is left with less of a chance to succeed on this test. The test does not define the school..the students do...and Lely has A LOT of outstanding students.
As I said before....the MICMS is NO MORE an A as Lely is a D..They are both products of their environment. So Marco parents .....dont think your kids are getting such a great education there either...my kids went throuh the MICMS and got mostly A's...produced good FCAT scores, but admitted that the teachers did not motivate them and they couldnt wait to leave for LELY High School! The only reason the MICMS and TBE do so wel is because of the increased educational backround of their parents...not due to the greatness of the school. Gulf Coast and Naples are no better than Lely..the only reason the Marco parents are dying to send their kids there is because they want to shelter them from perception....perception that their precious child will comningle with other children of different socioeconomic backrounds....educationaly there is NO difference...
Lastly, dont get nervous but a good source says that our superintendent is working on a plan to ELIMINATE SCHOOL CHOICE AND OUT OF ZONE! Better start looking to buy a house in North Naples.....

mimom writes:

First of all Mr. Green and freedomofspeech1, if you think that it is so racist here on Marco, than why are you here?? We welcome you to leave!! It is every parent’s choice to raise their children the way they see fit. freedomofspeech1, why didn’t you send your children to Manatee? After all it is the zoned school for our Marco kids. As for Lely, The State has rated it a "D" school whether you want to accept it or not. It would not make a difference if the school were a 100% Caucasian, my kids would still not attend a "D" rated school. Every parent will have many choices to make while they raise their children. As parents we will not always agree on each others parenting skills or decisions, but that does not make one parent right over the other, it makes us individuals. Shame on you Mr. Green, we surely do not need a reporter like you on this Island giving your ridiculous opinions.

happy6 writes:

way to go marcomom!!! bill green is a complete idiot and cannot get a job other than marco....lely is a good school, teahers are good and students graduate and go to college if they desire....there are always circumstances that cause children to fail...many.

zenith writes:

marcomom7,take the time to educate yourself on why Lely is a "D" school. All students take the FCAT, even students from other countries who have not mastered English. Of course Lely has trouble getting an "A"!
If you were to become "Barcelonamom", would your kids score well on tests at school before they became proficient in Spanish? Would that mean they are not intelligent? Would that give others the right to demand a new school because your kids bring down the grade of the school?
Curious to see how you will rationalize your way out of this.

zenith writes:

As for the Lely teacher who lives on Marco and sends his kids to Gulf Coast... I've heard his kids are not happy at the "better" school. Just what I've heard, don't know if it's true. You could ask him if he still thinks he made the right decision.
If he hates Lely so much, why does he still teach there? Maybe he couldn't get hired anywhere else? Don't know, just guessing....

waterday writes:

The D rating at this school is the responsibility of the teachers. If a child is allowed to attend a high school, the child needs to be able to pass the FCAT test given each year! If the teachers can not teach the child to pass, then the teachers are not execeptional and are not up to standards required for teaching our children at Lely. The teacher mentioned above.. told another parent that he did not believe in Lely, and that kids do not learn anything and that his kids would not ever go there.... now does that make you want to send your kids to Lely... and what do they get out of his class...funny stories & family guy, my child did not learn anything from this teacher.. and there are many other teachers at Lely that are causing the D grade! The teachers give up on the students that require more assistance and strict discipline. My child is in honors and gets A grades or would not be at Lely...this is the truth.. this school is a D because on inadequate teachers and teachers that really simply don't care about these students. Freedom of Speach: Lely is a D school, Marco Middle is an A school... the fcat score says it all.. wake up Marco

TheVoice writes:

I'm tired of the race card being played here its just a cop out for the lely lovers anyone who has ever lived any where but here would understand this no matter where you live there is multiple ethnic backgrounds that make up what is known as the student body as I have mentioned before my child's school that she previously attended before lely was just as such,I will break it down 50% black/ 20% Hispanic/30% Caucasian and all the blacks bussed in where from gang and drug laden neighborhoods,the Hispanics parents where mostly farm hands,The white children where from the small suburban town into which this school is located but due to a committed teachers staff this was also a B School so to say race has a factor in the fcat result is a joke its teachers not performing there duty that is the problem so lets get off the everyone's racist B.S. and have these teachers be accountable for there short comings and failing the most important asset to there career there students! If anyone is to blame for those empty seats at lely its them no one wants there child to have a unsatisfactory education that folks is the real world, I'm glad that at some point lely provided a proper education as we hear results of past and ready to graduate students reveal but this problem is recent and it basically applies to freshman thru sophomore and soon to be high school aged children these are the effected ones...On a separate note its mentioned how much money is put into lely buy collier county school board my question is how much money does Marco Island pour into collier county think about it!!!

faithfultrojanette writes:

Well, it appears that some of you PRO MARCO HIGH SCHOOL BLOGGERS also need to take command of the English language. Some of you don't even know the proper use of the words "there" and "their" and "where" and "were". Plus PS: -there is no such word as "exceptable". You should definitely be the advocates for the new high school? I know your emotions are running wild as you type your insulting remarks targeted not only at the parents and the faculty, but also towards the innocent students of Lely High School. Please utilize the preview button.
What great life lessons do children learn when their parents show them how to beat the system in place by illegally attending other district schools using false addresses, etc. Trust me, a few years back, when Barron, Gulf Coast, Naples and even Palmetto Ridge were at capacity enrollment, that is exactly what they did. But hey, let's not mix our Marco kids with other teens who might lead them astray, they can learn how to be deceitful right in their own households. Let's not demand more of CCPS and ask them to support Lely and the student body, let's bail out and drive even further to other district schools, divide the community, sabotage the Lely fundraising efforts, separate the kids fom their Marco friends, etc. (I hope Palmetto's start time was later than Lely, because that sure is a LONG drive from Marco!) And for what? Our students have the same scholarship opportunities at Lely as they would at the other district schools. I believe it's Lely High School that has the 2nd largest enrollment of AP students in the county. WOW! But let's not boast of our accomplishments and give Lely the praise it deserves. Let's not use our brightest students as examples, because that might hurt your cause. And what about the ESE program at Lely? Shouldn't the teacher at the feeder school who says it is inadequate try and find out how it can be improved? After all, it is their field of expertise, isn't it?
But, if you truly want your own high school, just be prepared to open your wallets, and I mean "open them wide." As anyone who has truly been involved in the Marco Charter School knows, IT TAKES CASH to turn the lights on. Unless you can get CCPS to open your school, (highly unlikely)you will be faced with the same financial challenges the existing Charter Middle School faces on a daily basis.
So, again, I ask you to please refrain from insulting the parents who choose to send their kids to Lely and stop insulting the students who attend Lely and strive every day to take pride in their school! Every school will have it's challenges.
In my opinion, that "teacher?" (no, he does not deserve to be called a teacher) that "employee" who bashes Lely and acts inappropriately in front of students and sends his daughter to another district school and she cries to come back to Lely, he should be fired! That is a legitimate issue with Lely. Yes, he is the teacher who is letting the students DOWN!

faithfultrojanette writes:

Well, it appears that some of you PRO MARCO HIGH SCHOOL BLOGGERS also need to take command of the English language. Some of you don't even know the proper use of the words "there" and "their" & "where" and "were". Plus PS: -there is no such word as "exceptable". You should definitely be the advocates for the new high school? I know your emotions are running wild as you type your insulting remarks targeted not only at the parents and the faculty, but also towards the innocent students of Lely High School. Please utilize the preview button.

faithfultrojanette writes:

faithfultrojanette writes:

Well, it appears that some of you PRO MARCO HIGH SCHOOL BLOGGERS also need to take command of the English language. Some of you don't even know the proper use of the words "there" and "their" and/or "where" and "were". Plus PS: -there is no such word as "exceptable". You should definitely be the advocates for the new high school? I know your emotions are running wild as you type your insulting remarks targeted not only at the parents and the faculty, but also towards the innocent students of Lely High School. Please utilize the preview button.

waterday writes:

faithfultrojanette- You are critical of eveyone's spelling of simple words.. yet you seem to not be able to control your fingers with the send button... This teacher is a problem and there are many more of these teachers at Lely... that is the results of the D grade..Lely is not acceptable.. as the teachers are the REASON the school is failing and getting a D grade.. Wake Up!

TheVoice writes:

faithfultrojanette,never seen your blogs before or have we under a different user hm-mm sounds like another or the same lely employee...

lelymom1 writes:

In support of trojanette -100%!

TheVoice writes:

ISNT A 4.0 THE HIGHEST G.P.A YOU CAN RECIEVE JUST CURIOUS...

faithfultrojanette writes:

No Voice - can't you see what trouble I had posting. But I heard you were stirring up the pot so I had to check it out. I am not an employee of Lely nor any other Collier County School - I am a parent who can't stand the bashing of Lely sometimes by people who have never stepped foot in Lely. In a perfect world, all schools would be A schools. But this is not a perfect world and there are many different components to Lely that you know nothing about. So go build your own perfect school on Marco in peace and leave us alone! Bye Bye Y'all!

liberator100 writes:

To all racist Lely bashers:
THERE WILL NEVER BE A HIGH SCHOOL ON MARCO ISLAND.You better learn to live with that fact.

The Voice: You must be a total moron to ask the question you asked. You are not qualified to comment on the high school issue. Get back to playing golf or fishing or whatever other reason you are here for.

TheVoice writes:

excuse me but I believe I can comment on any subject that I choose but due to complete assholes that don't have the since to poor urine out of a boot I will no longer return to this sight you lely lovers see that your loosing the hold on our students point simple your school sucks.

Marconian writes:

Saying people are racist is a little played out I would think It does not have anything to do with race our color or anything of the kind. It is about the future of our nation receiving the best education possible, personally I feel lely isn't providing that at this time its a shame that persons with valuable points are forced into anger by hatred of an opposite opinion isn't that a form of racism in its own right?

MarcoFam6 writes:

Freedom of Speech1...First off, all I care is that my children grow up safe and get a great education. I am entitled to my opinion. If you have had a great experience and like Lely that's wonderful!! Personally, I don't feel that Lely can give my kids what they need. Like I said, personally, Lely continues its spiral downfall not only in education but crime too. By the time my children are ready to head there I can only imagine what it will be like. I am not Lely bashing. My husband went there, my sister and brother also. My family is far far far from the Lily White Loaded Marco Islanders that you rant about. But I look at TBE and MICS and want that continued into a High School. So if Marco offers a high school my children will go there. If you don’t want your children to go there then don’t send them. If Marco decides not to have a High School here than we will explore other options. Maybe they will go to Lely. WANTING THE BEST FOR YOUR KIDS IS NOT BEING PREJUIDECE!!!

It’s really sad that to get your point across you have to use bully tactics. So you say I have no credibility and zero friends...well hmm...sorry you are wrong and that's OK because I know it. Hating everyone equally means you are free of all prejudices. So feel free to make yourself feel better by putting someone down who has a different opinion than you. I think you should rethink your screen name because it sure doesn't fit. I would be embarrassed. Freedom of speech is graciously allowing other people to speak their mind and not be condemned. All I can say is shame on you, and don’t forget you get farther when you are nicer……
Wouldn't it be funny if we were acquaintances or maybe even neighbors????

themessiah writes:

Voice,

It's not SINCE, it's Sense.
It's not POOR, it's Pour.
It's not SIGHT, it's Site.
It's not LOOSING, it's Losing.

Your name should be MarcoTOOL.
Maybe next time you can try to get your point across without the use of obscenities (your precious children are reading this too, you know).

GzuzH8sU writes:

HAIL SATAN!

marcoislander writes:

A HIGH SCHOOL ON MARCO HA HA HA WILL NEVER HAPPEN.