REACTION: All torn up about Elkcam Circle closing

Eagle hears readers' thoughts on the traffic changes

All torn up:  West Elkcam Circle, near the future Veterans’ Community Park, closed permanently Monday, leaving traffic to cut through the parking lot to Park Avenue or take Bald Eagle Drive to Park Avenue and back onto Elkcam Circle. Deconstruction of the pavement began Tuesday morning and will make way for a large open lawn space at the park – at a cost of $50,000. Read past coverage and view a map of the detour online.

Photo by KELLY FARRELL, Staff // Buy this photo

All torn up: West Elkcam Circle, near the future Veterans’ Community Park, closed permanently Monday, leaving traffic to cut through the parking lot to Park Avenue or take Bald Eagle Drive to Park Avenue and back onto Elkcam Circle. Deconstruction of the pavement began Tuesday morning and will make way for a large open lawn space at the park – at a cost of $50,000. Read past coverage and view a map of the detour online.

Photo by KELLY FARRELL, Staff // Buy this photo

Elkcam Circle closes permanently between Park Avenue and Joy Circle Monday, July 6, 2009, to make way for a large open lawn space at the newly designed Veterans' Community Park.

Photo by KELLY FARRELL, Staff // Buy this photo

— West Elkcam Circle was all torn up Tuesday as deconstruction of the existing roadway began, and though some readers are pleased, others say they're all torn up about it.

The road was closed permanently beginning Monday and drivers seemed to be adjusting to the transition as they turned around near the orange barricades, cut through parking lots and changed their daily routines.

The road is being torn out between Joy Circle and Park Avenue to make way for a large open lawn space at Veterans' Community Park at a cost of $50,000.

The park's master plan was recently completed and approved by City Council. The closing of the roadway was decided after numerous public discussions.

Pedestrian and bicycle safety as well as a larger open area to increase potential usage of the park were the primary reasons for the decision, city planners and design consultants have said.

The Eagle asked to hear what people thought about it and although many agree with the decision, others find the inconvenience to their travel routines an unnecessary nuisance.

Below is a Web message sent to the Eagle by an online reader:

"I use West Elkcam Circle daily. To go to my bank, the post office, Eagle to buy my paper, to the gym, the grocers, etc. Also, during Season, to get off the Island. I find spending that amount of money for something that won't be used much and inconveniencing year round dwellers, is very inconsiderate of our elected officials. Thanks for the chance to air my opinion. Sincerely, Dee"

The Eagle was not able to obtain Dee's last name.

OTHER COMMENTS SENT TO THE EAGLE THIS WEEK:

I think it is a bad idea to close Elkcam Circle. It is a way around traffic in the busy season. The alley way is a smaller road with many businesses backing up to the road making traveling the road more dangerous

­­­­­— Joe Tortoriello

Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! Can’t believe anybody would be in favor of screwing up the traffic any more than it already is in season.

­­­­­­— DMW

Elcam circle destruction Like Forest Gump’s Mom said, stupid is, as stupid does.

­­­­­— IrishMikeOne@aol.com

POSTED EARLIER

Elkcam Circle is to close permanently as of Monday, at a cost of $50,000, unpaving the way for an expanded central lawn space at Veterans' Community Park.

West Elkcam Circle will be removed from Joy Circle to Park Avenue, requiring traffic that once might have traveled to McDonald's or Winn Dixie from Bald Eagle to take Park Avenue rather than Elkcam Circle.

Marco Community Church of God and 7-Eleven are still to be accessible from West Elkcam Circle, which may be more properly named Elkcam semi-circle following Monday's closing.

Live nearby? Take this route often? Plan to use the alley way and parking lot as a make-shift through street to Park Avenue?

The Eagle wants to know your thoughts. Send comments, suggestions, ideas to Yourmarco.com or email mail@marcoeagle.com.

Contact the reporter directly by phone, 213-5335 or e-mail kfarrell@marconews.com. Follow me on Twitter or befriend me on Facebook: twitter.com/kelfarrell and facebook.com/kelfarrell.

© 2009 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

lakekathy writes:

I just can't believe it. Have they done a traffic study on that section of Elkcam? It's busy all the time and a great way to avoid the traffic lights.

sunnycity writes:

Has the Asbestos crushing facility been moved?

ilikemarco writes:

What are the city planners and leader thinking of. First a dog park most residents don't want and now closing a necessary and busy road.

The City Planners and leaders are bringing to a realization the wishes of 61% of the voters in a General Election that voted for a Park in the Town Center. For those bloggers above that are "inconvenienced" by having to wait at the light at Bald Eagle and Collier as opposed to Elkcam and Collier, well if you are in that much of a hurry, consider someplace else besides Marco Island. Winn Dixie or McDonalds are just an additional 30 seconds to get to (via the Detour). Don't have a cow.
And for additional thought, the road was never that busy and now that a Park is going there, it is not that necessary.

MarcoAvenger writes:

This is a very hard story to avoid posting too. The city has done a great deal of planning on this design. There have been public meetings and the plans (In various forms) have been displayed throughout the Island for at least the last year. It never fails to amaize me at how negative people can be. This will be a great addition to our Island. It will finally give us a downtown (Central) are for the residence and visitors to meet and socialize. The city has also done a great deal to keep the cost down and to building this park in stages. My suggestion to the negative posters above is to actually get out an participate in the future of our city. It is really easy to sit back and criticize everything. However, you will find out that it is not all that hard to actually get involved in things. It also brings a great deal of pride. I love our little slice of paradise. I have traveled all around the world and I can honestly say my heart belongs here.

Well said MarcoAvenger !!!

MarcoJimbo writes:

The park's master plan may have been approved by City council, but as yet I don't believe there is any funding budgeted to proceed with construction. At a time when our City is facing a million-and-a-half dollar budget deficit and we already own the land, let's just sit back and enjoy the green space until times get better. After all, the asbestos dump has been cleaned-up and the new sod and parking lot look just fine to me.

OldMarcoMan writes:

I don't normally agree with Ed but he's right this time. Unless you live in a Cave you had to know about this.
Its amazing actually. You vote for Recker and Company then act surprised when they win and do what they promised.
Go to a Council Meeting, heck, it looks like on TV there are only 5 or 6 people showing up these days.

ilikemarco writes:

It is a shame that on Marco, that if you expess an opinion that someone does not agree with, the standard comment of many is, get out of town if you don't like it. In the past seven years I have support more progams that opposed and I am on record of doing so, but like many I have more to do with my free time that go to meetings. Bad ideas are still bad ideas even if the are approved by council.

waterday writes:

Our city can and does take all land that they want and for whatever s----- reasons they can come up with. What road is next? Council what are we closing next, and how much more money are we spending to tie up more traffic? locals will have no roads around the traffic mess, soon. Little Government acts and spends like big government. Bad idea and s----- council!

joetf404 writes:

I suspect the 61% that voted this through do not live on the Island full time and don't have to work on the island .
And yes, it's not that hard to navigate around it . But, you won't have the luxury of the traffic light when you come out of Park Avenue unto Bald Eagle.I suppose that will be the next move after a few accidents there will be a traffic light installed there.
I really didn't see the problem with closing Elkcam circle when there was an event at the park. And is it still Elkcam circle?
Mr. Mackle would be proud to see the "development" of the Island.

So now we define registered voters and a Democracy by what joetf defines them by. 61% is 61% and will be 61% in the next election also. I go to work every morning and have to deal with the detour. If you have complaints, they are not based on reality. Probably just sour grapes. And yes, the Mackle Brothers (get your history correct, Joe) would be happy to see a park instead of a 11 story hotel and another 35,000 square feet of empty commercial development in the Town Center. Because that was what was scheduled to go there instead of the park and your traffic flow would have been 200% worse in that case instead of what it is and will be now. And 25yearsonMarco sounds like he or she spend 100 years someplace else. Please get the facts before expressing an opinion based on fiction.

joetf404 writes:

Since we are now throwing names and insults around here as usual.
EXCUSE ME ! lauralbi1 I forgot the other Mr. Mackle.
And I don't define the democracy of registered voters.
I merely stated my opinion of who voted this through. I also never stated I wanted a Hotel or anything other than a park. Quite the contrary, the park is great. I (in my opinion) didn't see the need to close Mackle Circle permanently. How many more roads will be closed on Marco? Maybe you only drive to and from work,but others drive for work;deliveries, repairs etc.. And have to deal with these detours more than twice a day.

Okay, Joe. I apologize. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I read more into yours than I should have. I guess we can agree to disagree on the road closure. Hopefully you are aware that Park Avenue is scheduled fopr widening and improvement as part of the Park Development. And if a signal is required, or a stop sign, then the City will have to look into it. You can always exit out back on to Elkcam and use the signal at Bald Eage and Elkcam instead of the intersection of Park and Bald Eagle.