The year is half over. Yikes! Yeah, I know, where did it go?!
My dad is right, for he always told me, and still does, “As you get older, time moves faster!”
Okay, so six month of your year and your life are behind you. Yet, what’ll you do for the second half of 2009, to make it big?
Last week, I helped a client, Drew Kaplan, kick-off “Big July.” Drew is a bright, creative, innovative, successful, personable guy. He’s the CEO/CFO of ISWest, a hip, happenin’ and results-producing Internet and technology solutions company for growing businesses in Southern California.
While CEO/CFO does mean chief executive officer and chief financial officer, Drew also dubs himself, as “chief entrepreneurial officer and chief fun officer!”
To kick-off “Big July,” I helped Drew tweak and craft an e-message to his team on: Big ... ideas, focus, value, news, service, partnerships, referrals, stories, sales, money an fun.
To complement Drew’s “big” e-mail, he included a YouTube link to the classic Tom Hank’s movie, “Big.” And he ordered lots of big, oversized or giant props, toys and tools to reinforce ISWest’s “Big” theme. (To find really cool things, just do an online search for “big stuff.”)
Drew is also stressing how big fun, big enthusiasm and big behaviors will drive big results! And, he’ll even toss in other “big” related movie cuts, music and surprises.
For he knows a big day turns into a big week; which evolves into a big month. That produces a big quarter; which delivers a big final six months of what will be a big year! And beyond!
Drew finished his e-message to his team, with a quote found by one his “big contributors,” marketing specialist, Melanie Michaelson.
Dale Carnegie once exclaimed: “Don’t be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves.”
That powerhouse quote, got me thinkin’ and searchin’...
So here are 17 more BIG winners:
1. “Your big opportunity may be right where you are now.” – Napoleon Hill
2. “Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.” – Winston Churchill
3. “I never looked at the consequences of missing a big shot ... when you think about the consequences, you always think of a negative result.” – Michael Jordan
4. “It’s the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.” – John Wooden
5. “Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!” – Bob Marley
6. “Believe in something larger than yourself ... get involved in the big ideas of your time.” – Barbara Bush
7. “The little things, I can obey. But the big things, how we think, what we value, those you must choose yourself. You can’t let anyone, or any society, determine those for you.” – Morrie Schwartz
8. “Happiness always looks small while you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and you learn at once how big and precious it is.” – Maxim Gorky
9. “Have a bias toward action, let’s see something happen now. You can break that big plan into small steps and take the first step right away.” – Indira Gandhi
10. “No problem is too big to run away from.” – Charles M. Schulz
11. “We just bought this house. It’s too big. It’s like 400,000 square feet, or something. We got an indoor lake and ski slope in the house! It’s just too big! – Adam Sandler
12. “If you’re going to be thinking, you may as well think big.” – Donald Trump
13. “Little minds have little worries, big minds have no time for worries.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
14. “A ball player has to be kept hungry to become a big leaguer. That’s why no boy from a rich family has ever made the big leagues.” – Joe DiMaggio
15. “If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven’t done anything today.” – Lou Holtz
16. “The big thing is that you know what you want.” – Earl Nightingale
17. “The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure.” – Joseph Campbell
I’ve given you a jumpstart with the first 17 days of July. And as an added bonus, here are two more, from the late, great Johnny Carson, the host of NBC’s “The Tonight Show,” before Conan and Jay. Johnny Carson was one of my boyhood idols. To this day, he still is. He was a brilliant communicator. Artful interviewer. Intent listener. Masterful storyteller. Brilliant comedian. His influence upon my life and work has been profound.
So with that in mind ... Here are two more classic, clever quips from Carson:
“Never use a big word when a little filthy one will do.”
“If variety is the spice of life, marriage is the big can of leftover Spam!”
Okay, now it’s your turn for the next two weeks to come up with big quotes. Find your favorite 14. Jot ‘em down. Pop ‘em on note cards or post-it notes. Stick ‘em on your mirror. See ‘em. Live ‘em!
And then send them to me. You bet I’ll give you credit!
Now, go for it! Because something tells me you’re about to have a big day, month, quarter, year!
Jeff Blackman is a speaker, author, success coach, broadcaster and lawyer who lives part-time on Marco Island. His clients call him a “business-growth specialist.” Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or go to jeffblackman.com to subscribe to his free e-letter.