I have watched with increasing disbelief, anxiety and anger the government’s assault on our Constitutional Republic, free market capitalist system, and the private sector people who make the country work.
Our Declaration of Independence states that “governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed.”
I do not consent to what our government is doing. The First Amendment to the Constitution allows “the right of the people to petition the government for a redress of grievances. I hereby do so.
Our president and elected representatives — each sworn to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States — are trashing it:
- Moving the U.S. Census Bureau from Commerce where it has always been to the White House for the express purpose of electoral political manipulation.
- “Card Check” which if enacted will strip workers of the right of a secret ballot, free from union or management coercion and intimidation, in voting to decide for or against joining a union.
- The appointment of unelected, unvetted, and unaccountable “Czars” to multiple areas already served by cabinet secretaries.
- Destructive “cap ‘n trade” energy taxes which are sure to hurt business and further slow our economy. These taxes will filter down and effect all Americans. This is based on the political hoax of “global warming.” There is no settled science, no agreement among climatologists — only among politicians in another effort to grow government, raise taxes, and control our lives. Earth’s climate has been cooling for the last 10 years.
- Government policies (Carter’s Community Redevelopment Act worsened by Clinton’s pressuring and threatening banks and complicit underwriters Fanny and Freddie) to make massive sub-prime mortgage loans to people they knew could never repay them. This is what gave us the “mortgage crisis” fueling the economic downturn.
- “Free” healthcare for all. Without question, our healthcare system is costly, inefficient, and in need of improvement. Do we really want to turn the health of our families over to the people who run the Department of Motor Vehicles, the Post Office, and public school education? The Obama plan will have a health czar and board deciding what doctor you may see, what studies and treatments (if any), s/he may provide and if, in fact, government thinks it is cost effective to treat you and keep you alive. I think it’s is safe to assume that the “political class” will have their own doctors and their own rules.
- Decreasing healthcare benefits for veterans and for active duty military people and their families to make money available for other priorities. This is coming from people, the vast majority of whom have never worn the uniform of their country, sworn to protect and defend it, and risked going into harm’s way to do so.
- A “stimulus” bill of 1,200 or more pages, unread but passed by Congress with more than 8,000 earmarks. Trillions in government “bailout” spending to financial and other selected institutions little of which have demonstrated any positive results.
- A huge new budget. And the money to pay for all this: Levels of debt the government can never hope to repay. Generational debt; higher taxes in various forms on most Americans, our children, and grandchildren. Government printing massive amounts of money, certain to lead to serious inflation.
The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office has repeatedly said that the “stimulus” plan is a bad idea and will not stop a recession.
An energy policy which refuses to access vast quantities of oil and gas here in our own country while continuing to remain dependent on foreign sources. Certainly “green” energy sources should be pursued. So should clean coal and nuclear electrical power plants. Until we find a way to use “green” energy to fuel the cars, trucks, ships, and airplanes which facilitate the commerce and economy of the world, we will need oil and gas. It should be our own. Efforts are underway to censor and silence voices of criticism and disagreement on talk radio and the Internet. This President and Congress have declared war on our country, creating an atmosphere of crisis in order to ram through spending legislation. Success and achievement is punished, class envy promoted and exploited. The market is down 3,000 points since the election with little sign of real recovery. What seems clear is that the Obama administration and Congress seem hell bent on destroying our private enterprise, entrepreneurial, and highly successful economic system along with many of our individual freedoms upon which this country was founded and replacing it with a radical totalitarian Socialist welfare state.
I don’t give a damn about the Republican, the Democrat, or any other political party. I do care mightily about my country. America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy. As such, it has been the best and most successful country on the planet, providing great freedom and opportunity for all willing to work hard, act responsibly, and play by the rules.
Do not, sir, allow it to become a Socialist workers “paradise.”
If you think we (the majority of U.S. citizens) are angry now, wait until you help to destroy our freedom, our economy, and our country. We will vote you out of office.