Phalaenopsis, dendrobiums and vandas. This is the 36th year for the Naples Orchid Society's annual show. Meet some of the hobbyists competing in the show while they set up their arrangements on Thursday. The show and sale begin Friday, March 27 and run through Sunday, March 29. Watch »
Like flowers? How about seafood? How about arts? How about a regatta? Honoring World War II veterans? Well, look no further as a busy weekend begins Friday, March 27, and closes out Sunday. You won’t have any trouble finding something to do. Here is a list of events across Southwest Florida for the weekend of Friday-Sunday, March 27-29:
* Naples Orchid Show, 3-6:30 p.m. Friday, March 27; 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and noon-4 p.m. Sunday, Naples United Church of Christ, 5200 Crayton Road, Naples. $6, adults; $6 or $10 with a raffle ticket; free children under 12. 403-7155.
* The 33rd Annual Gulf Coast Sailing Club Regatta is expected to draw 35 sailboats and nearly 300 participants on Saturday, March 28, and Sunday, March 29. will launch from Hamilton Harbor Yacht Club, 7065 Hamilton Avenue, Naples. Racing will take place just off Naples beach and Keewaydin Island. Three major sailing events, two solid days of world class racing ... including the Porsche of Naples Cup Competition. Sailboats differing in design, size and manufacturer compete under handicaps designed to make the racing competitive and challenging 2nd Annual Melges 24 Regatta, which will set competitors against each other on a one-for-one basis. Mount Gay Rum Speaker Series Event featuring World Champion Sailor Dawn Riley Dawn Riley is an expert big-boat and match-racing sailor. She was the first woman to manage an entire America’s Cup syndicate and the first American, man or woman, to sail in three America’s Cups and two Whitbread Round the World races. Events begin Saturday at 11 a.m. and 11 a.m. on Sunday. More Info: GulfCoastSailingClub.org
* Marco Island seafood festival, live entertainment, arts and crafts and fresh fish and seafood, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Marco Island’s Veterans Community Park, Elkcam Circle, Marco Island. $5.
* Naples Flower Show, “In the Bag,” sponsored by the Naples Garden Club, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Naples Botanical Garden, 4820 Bayshore Drive, Naples. $5. 643-7275.
* Downtown Naples Festival of the Arts, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, up and down Fifth Avenue South, Naples. Free admission.
* Circus Sarasota, 7 p.m. today; 2 and 7 p.m., Saturday; and 1 and 5 p.m. Sunday;, Gulf Coast Town Center, Fort Myers. $10, $22, $32, $42 and $47. (941) 355-9805 or www.CircusSarasota.
* At 3 p.m. on Saturday at the Edison State College campus in Naples, Philippe Vinogradoff, the consul general of France in Miami, will award La Legion d’Honneur — the French Legion of Honor — to 28 Southwest Florida veterans who helped liberate France from the Germans during World War II. The event will be held in the Edison College Auditorium, at 7007 Lely Cultural Parkway, off Collier Boulevard in East Naples. Dress code is coat and tie or uniform. A reception will follow at 5 p.m.
* Free family day, free admission, juggling clowns, portrait sketches, face painting, fortune telling, games, activities, treasure hunt and viewing of the exhibits, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Naples Museum of Art, 5833 Pelican Bay Blvd., Naples. Free. 597-1900.
* Walk Bonita and picnic, led by Bryon Liles, resident and historian, 9 a.m. registration and 9:30 a.m. tour, Saturday, Liles Hotel, Riverside Park, 27300 Old 41 Road, Bonita Springs. Picnic and music to follow at 27142 South Riverside Drive, Bonita Springs. $5, members; $20, others. 992-5349.
* Arts Estero 2009, artists, photographers, crafts, singers and musicians, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, Estero Community Park, 9200 Palms Blvd., Estero. Free. htt://esterofl.org/new.
SATURDAY FARMERS MARKETS
* Third Street South Farmer’s Market, produce, vegetables, fruits, jams, baked goods, seafood and more, 7:30-11:30 a.m. Saturday, parking lot behind Tommy Bahama’s, 1201 Third St. S., Naples. No admission.
* North Goodlette Farmer’s Market, breakfast, fresh produce, crafts, jams, pies, juices, honey, flowers, soaps, lotions, baskets and more, 8 a.m.-noon, Saturdays through April 25, North Naples United Methodist Church, 6000 Goodlette-Frank Road, Naples. Free admission. 249-9480.,
* Farmer’s Market, 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays through April, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 3901 Davis Blvd., Naples. Free admission. 643-0197.