P.E.O. Chapter GT recently elected and installed their officers for the 2009-2010 year. P.E.O. Sisterhood is a philanthropic and educational organization interested in bringing women increased opportunities for higher education. It was founded January 21, 1869 at Iowa Wesleyan College, Mount Pleasant, Iowa and has over 6,000 chapters in the United States and Canada with more than 250,000 active members. Chapter GT was organized on Marco Island in 1988.
The educational and philanthropic purposes of P.E.O. are accomplished through international, state and local projects. The five educational projects supported by P.E.O. are: P.E.O. Educational Loan Fund established in 1907, Cottey College (a two year liberal arts college for women located in Nevada, MO) founded in 1884, owned and supported by the sisterhood since 1928, P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship Fund established in 1949, P.E.O. Program for Continuing Education established in 1973, and P.E.O. Scholar Awards established in 1991.