Last week, we stressed the significance of a return to the basics. The fundamentals that will drive your future success.
And, it included the six steps and 30 Profit Points in the Opportunity $elling business-development system that I created in 1985.
Since that time, the principles and strategies of Opportunity $elling have helped clients achieve remarkable results. Like increases in revenues, earnings and commissions by 30 percent, 40 percent, 50 percent or more in less than eight weeks.
For quick review, the six methodical, chronological and profit-producing steps of Opportunity $elling are:
O • P • R • T • N • TY
1. O (open)
2. P (probe)
3. R (reveal)
4. T (translate)
5. N (negotiate)
6. TY (the yes)
To take a peek at each step’s five Profit Points, be sure to see last week’s “Peak Your Profits” column.
Because Opportunity $elling is a working sales tool it’ll help you whether you’re just beginning your sales or business career, you’re on your way up, or you’re already on top and want to stay there!
I promised you in Part I, that this week we would reinforce these steps one more time, in a fun and creative way!
The following, are excerpts from my Opportunity $elling sales quotation book. Folks tell me it’s their companion as an on-the-road refresher and mental motivator for their ongoing sales strength and development.
So get ready for a dose of knowledge, inspiration and results with the help of some pithy statements and quotable quotes!
OPEN: Your initial contact with your customer, client or prospect.
- Opportunities come from knocking on doors until they open.
- “80 percent of success in life is showing up.” — Woody Allen
- “First impressions are indelibly marked on the fabric of the mind.” — John J. Tarrant
- All glory comes from daring to begin.
- “Start where you are. Distant fields always look greener, but opportunity lies right where you are. Take advantage of every opportunity.” — Robert Collier
PROBE: Asking need development questions, to determine what problem must be solved, need fulfilled or dream realized.
- “The answer is contained within the question.” — ancient proverb
- “The reason we’re a leader in so many areas isn’t how much we talk, but how attentively we listen.” — Jerome P. Kenney
- One way to keep people from jumping down your throat is to keep your mouth shut.
- When you hold a conversation, be sure to let go once in a while.
- When you talk, you can only say something you already know. When you listen, you may learn what someone else knows.
REVEAL: Presenting how your ideas, products and services best meet those pre-determined needs.
- “Always deliver more in “perceived value” than you take in cash value.” — Jeff Blackman
- The simpler solution may not be the right one, but it’s usually the one to consider first.
- The world moves largely by suggestion. Those who can implant suggestion govern those who receive it.
- “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Most people in positions of authority want to use it wisely and they’re always looking for someone with common sense to help them do it.
TRANSLATE: The translation of features into benefits (not what a product or service is, but instead, what it does for your customer).
- “People invest in your ability to deliver to them a more favorable future.” — Jeff Blackman
- “Quality is never an accident; it’s always the result of intelligent effort.” — John Ruskin
- I must do something, will always solve more problems than something must be done.
- “When I’m interested only in my own personal gain, I’m a peddler. When I’m interested in serving others, I’m a professional.” — Ben Jonson
- You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.
NEGOTIATE: Overcome objections and solve problems in a win-win way.
- You get people to do what you want, not by bullying them or tricking them, but by understanding them.
- “Never get angry. Never make a threat. Reason with people.” — Don Corleone
- Opposition by others is often proof you’re on the right track.
- “One of life’s big frustrations, is that people don’t do what you want them to do. But if you can control their impressions of you, you can make them want to do what you want them to do.” — Mark H. McCormack
- To get to the Promised Land, you must negotiate through the wilderness.
THE YES: That’s why you sell, to get others to say “yes.”
- “Selling has its real fascination in its ability to communicate, persuade and move others to action and that’s an art!” — Jeff Blackman
- Everyday, you write your own paycheck.
- “When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get one, but you won’t come up with a handful of mud either.” — Leo Burnett
- Don’t be afraid to go out on a limb. That’s where the fruit is.
- “Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing the results.” — Vince Lombardi
- “Acknowledge that dreams are needed, but it’s the quality of execution that determines if they come true.” — Allen Cox
- On the Great Clock, there’s but one word. NOW!
May the preceding, help you outdistance your competition and reach new levels of unprecedented success.
For more good stuff from the Opportunity $elling quote book and audio business-growth system, please head to jeffblackman.com and click on “Growth Tools” and “Free Stuff.”
Be sure to seize the opportunity!
Opportunity $elling is a registered trademark of Blackman & Associates, Inc.
Jeff Blackman is a speaker, author, success coach, broadcaster and lawyer who lives part-time on Marco Island. His clients call him a “business-growth specialist.” Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or go to jeffblackman.com to subscribe to his free e-letter.