Island Views: As a Lely High grad and scholarship awardee, how do you feel about the school’s detractors?

Island Views

Katey Hausauer.

Photo by QUENTIN ROUX, Staff

Katey Hausauer.

Katy Melchiorre.

Photo by QUENTIN ROUX, Staff

Katy Melchiorre.

Amanda Niemczyk.

Photo by QUENTIN ROUX, Staff

Amanda Niemczyk.

Katey Hausauer

Marco Senior

Before you get to Lely, you always hear horror stories. Really, in my four years, I’ve seen three fights at most, and have never felt unsafe there. The classes you take determine what the outcome is going to be in terms of what you get out of it educationally. If you skate by with regular classes, you’re going to slack off, but if you push yourself the classes there are just as good as any other school if you make it that way. I think it’s the best school in the county, if not the state.

Katy Melchiorre

Marco Senior

The education’s there if you want it. The school is a “D” school because there are students there who are new to the country, and it’s not that they don’t strive to achieve — they’re still learning the language. It’s based on one test that grades our school. I’ve had amazing teachers there who’ve greatly impacted my life. Every school has its downside.

Amanda Niemczyk

Marco Senior

Just like any other school, Lely’s going to have its good and its bad. It’s what you put into it that you’re going to get out of it. Basically, the (Marco Island Charter) middle school is kind of like a bubble, and when you go to Lely it’s more of the real world. The school has great teachers. You know, all you hear is negatives about Lely, but they really care about you.

© 2009 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Marcosfinest writes:

You girls left out that Lely also has the best principal in the country also. Its a great school where the teachers care more about the students then themselves..

OldMarcoMan writes:

Are you serious?

Leroy writes:

OldMarcoMan...ARE YOU SERIOUS??

What do you know of Lely? It is a great school. Lely's detractors are a bunch of part-time trouble makers like Roger Hall and the recall signers. The same shameless group of naysayers that tried to bring our community down. Now, after having lost EVERY fruitless battle they created, they stooped to new lows...attacking a great school, it's students and a long legacy of PRIDE. SHAMELESS!!!!!!!

Marconian writes:

Once they get rid of all the cockroaches and stock toilet paper once in a while it will even get more kudos yeah!!!oh and what about the teacher that will leave nameless but rhymes with slack that was caught tampering with students records what happened to him? oops did that not go public!!! oh, OK great school he must have really cared for the students that he jacked around... give me a break!

Flowerpower writes:

All schools have a couple bad apples Marconian but that doesn't give the you or others the right to judge the whole school. My kids love Lely and are proud of their school. I agree with Leroy, it's just a bunch or retirees that know nothing about Lely complaining. The parents and students love it there.

Marconian writes:

Flowerpower...Please let me enlighten you I have about another 30 yrs of work ahead of me before I can retire,But anyhow lets not confuse the dedication of the schools students to themselves with what the school is responsible for! The students that are having success is only a result of hard work and dedication by the students and the parents that taught them the values to do so. My daughter is a student of lely and due to her hard work she has received great grades for her effort and one day will attend college to further her education. And aside from being 4 walls to study in lely really has nothing to do with hers or your children's achievements a school is a school plain and simple when your talking of public school systems trust me they don't offer or give more than another no matter what school your kids attend they only get out of it what they put in period. but the issues that need to be addressed is the cleanness of the school it has a cockroach problem and a rodent problem the restrooms are filthy and rarely have toilet paper stocked.And before you criticize just think do you want to take the risk of them coming home with your kids bookbag to your house also does your kids eat at the school,mine wont she refuses to eat a school meal due to the infestation of bugs and I don't blame her I hope they will resolve this problem soon!!!

faithfultrojanette writes:

Right on Trojanettes - Right On! Good luck in the future.....we will miss you!