Here is this week's Backstage Pass:
* November is Celebrate the Arts Month in Collier County. The annual event, coordinated by the United Arts Council and local arts and cultural groups, features more than 125 events at locations throughout the county. Details: www.celebratethearts.org.
* The giraffes are coming! The Naples Zoo announced plans to open its first giraffe habitat. Fundraising events are now being held to fund the exhibit, including one on Wednesday at The Jolly Cricket. For information, call 262-5409.
* The Norris Center, operated by the City of Naples, has posted its entertainment schedule for the theater and Cambier Park at: www.naplesgov.com/calendar.aspx.
* The popular Films on Fifth series returns to the Sugden Community Theatre this month. Call 263-7990 for information.
* With its grand opening set for this month, the Naples Botanical Garden is seeking volunteers to work in key positions. For more information call Sally Richardson at 643-7275.
* The Friends of the Library group has announced its 2010 Nick Linn Lecture Series, which includes appearances by popular authors Dennis Lehane and James Patterson. For information, call 262-8135. Officers of the group include: Bill Buchanan, president; Nick Linn, vice-president; Larry Caliguiri, secretary; and Myra Williams, treasurer.
* Collier County’s namesake, Barron Gift Collier, was posthumously placed on the Florida Tourism Honor Roll for his services in completing the Tamiami Trail. The award will be on display at the Collier County main museum.
* Local performer, Janina Birtolo, announced this season’s schedule of her one-woman plays, including three in November. Performances are at local libraries and the Norris Center. Details are at www.janinabirtolo.com.
* Leading the Marco Players’ board of directors this year is Beverly Dahlstrom, president. Pat Traynor is treasurer. Other directors are Judy Daye, Howard Blankman, Donna Blankman, Jim Lopas, Joe Kelly and Bernie Bogart. The group kicks off its season this month with the Neil Simon comedy, “Jake’s Women.”
* The Naples Players will hold auditions on Nov. 21 for “Mauritius,” which will be presented in February. Call 434-7340, ext. 10 for information.
* Suzanne von Liebig received an honorary doctor of humane letters degree from Juniata College in Pennsylvania last month. Von Liebig and her late husband, William, have generously supported the arts in Naples. The Naples Art Association’s home, the von Liebig Art Center, is named in their honor.
* Local watercolor artist David Coolidge received the “Award of Excellence” for his painting “Along the Brandywine” from the Philadelphia Water Color Society.
* Legendary singer/songwriter Bobby Goldsboro is also an accomplished artist. His works are on display at the Sweet Art Gallery beginning Nov. 13.
* The grand opening of the new Artist Colony at the Esplanade on Marco Island is Nov. 12. It features the working studios of 12 artists.