Letter to the Editor: Tickets more effective

Article Highlights

• As a bicycle rider, I heartily thank the police department for enforcing this ordinance.
  • I have considered asking to be deputized to allow me to place warning notices on cars, but I’m sure that a parking ticket will be much more effective.

I just read the comment made by Jackie Howe to the City Council relative to receiving a parking ticket for parking her car so as to partially obstruct the sidewalk. I don’t know what the situation is at her house, but, most driveways are canted to make water run toward the street.

As a bicycle rider, I heartily thank the police department for enforcing this ordinance. It is dangerous for bike riders to have to duck out onto the street because of a car spanning the sidewalk and is just plain inconsiderate of children on trikes, mothers with strollers, or other pedestrians.

Jane M. Scanlon

Marco Island

© 2009 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

happy6 writes:

oh yea jane....the island looks great now...cars parked in lawns, sideways on driveways...literally there are cars parked on the lawns when i go to work at 7 am...but the council is still asleep at that hour....and all other hours....liZ carr and her bunch cannot enforce the codes....there are jetskis in yards, to tall grass, broken down cars and now cars in the yards so they don't get a ticket for blocking the s----- sidewalks that no one uses....and usually end at the first vacant lot.
how many dollars have been spent on the turn at bald eagle and san marco....this turn has been rebuilt at least 10 times in the past 4 years....BUT AS THE SIGN SAYS...IT'S BEEN PAID FOR WITH "GRANT MONEY"...this was a reaction to the letters from marco citizens about our tax dollars....

now let's see...GRANT MONEY...DUH...THAT WOULD BE OUR TAX DOLLARS CALLED PORK......Mr. city Manager please tear down that sign...it's not GRANT MONEY...it's TAX DOLLARS...YOU IDIOT.

Dear Mrs. Scanlon: I have an honest question that I really do not know the answer to. I don't know if it is a legal question or a just matter of common courtesy. "Are bicycles supposed to be riding on neighborhood sidewalks"? For some reason, I thought sidewalks were reserved for pedestrians. I thought bicycles were supposed to ride in the street or on a bike path. If there is no room in the street, then that is another story. If I do not hear from you below, I will certainly find out just to satisfy my curiousity.

OldMarcoMan writes:

Glad your not my neighbor ,,, sounds like your a real ,,,,,,, peach.

JohninMarco writes:

Well it goes to show that all the money we spent on bike lanes is just money wasted. This person wants to ride on the sidewalks and over 50 people get tickets. Another shallow resident who just wants her way.

happy6 writes:

and we're still building bike path/sidwalks that are funded by "grant money"....none of my money...just "grant money"....i guess it came from the winch pelosi and the tax cheat rangel..(sp)...for you fossil.

dc5799 writes:

If your riding your cycle behind me on the sidewalk be prepared to go around me.