LELY 34, EAST LEE 3
ELC 3 0 0 0 — 3
Lely 14 20 0 0 — 34
L — O’Regan 1 run (Bedolla kick), 10:17
L — O’Regan 3 run (Bedolla kick), 6:50
ELC — Cole 26 FG, 1:12
L — Bastin 13 pass from O’Regan (kick failed), 11:10
L — Hall 49 run (Bedolla kick), 9:29
L — Lane 1 run (Bedolla kick) 5:25
NAPLES — After a loss against previously winless Lehigh last week, Lely went into Friday’s home game against East Lee County trying to salvage a season drenched in turmoil and disappointment.
Facing their second winless opponent in two weeks, the Trojans knew better to get caught looking ahead to next week’s Coconut Bowl showdown against rival Naples High.
A few ticks after five minutes had passed in the first quarter, Lely was up 14 points. At halftime the lead was 31. At the end of the game the point differential remained the same as the Trojans evened their record at 3-3 with an impressive 34-3 victory over East Lee.
And for the first time all season, the Trojans were able to enjoy a game.
“I told our team during the week that we wanted to come out ready to play and put them away in the first half,” Trojans coach Dave Miller said. “We did that. Everybody was having fun.
“We were smiling. Everybody was happy. The enthusiasm was there tonight. It hasn’t been there this season, even in our wins.”
Of note, Darion Hall, Lely’s star running back who served a one-game suspension earlier in the season for disciplinary reasons, did not start and carried the ball only twice.
Miller said discipline was not an issue with Hall for this game. He just elected to use the Miami-recruit sparingly to help keep him fresh and get his other backs more work.
Hall was impressive nevertheless, breaking off a 49-yard touchdown run in the second quarter. It was the senior’s first carry. On his other rushing attempt, Hall ran for 24 yards.
“The offensive line blocked real well on the touchdown,” said Hall, who has 427 yards rushing this season.
“This was definitely a statement game to Naples,” he said. “We wanted to show we’re not afraid to play them and that we’re just not going to lay down.”
Despite Hall’s limited usage, Lely was hitting on all cylinders Friday, playing efficient offense, ferocious defense and opportunistic special teams. All the game’s points were scored in the first half, as the two teams played in a downpour for much of the second half.
“Without a doubt, that was our best half of football all season,” Miller said. “Our special teams and defense were able to give the offense a short field most of the night. That makes it easier to score.”
The Jaguars (0-6) opened the game at their own 23 yard line. Three plays later, they were punting from their 16. The next play, East Lee punter Dakota Curran crumpled at the 1 after falling on a bad snap.
The Trojans wasted no time as quarterback Sean O’Regan punched the ball in on a sneak for Lely’s first score.
Basically, the same scenario unfolded on the Jaguars’ next possession. This time, however, Curran’s punt was partially blocked. The Trojans took over at East Lee’s 23-yard line.
After three running plays, O’Regan scored again on a keeper, this time from 3 yards out. O’Regan connected with junior Dennis Bastin for 13 yards for Lely’s third score.
Patrick Lane capped the scoring for Lely with a 1-yard touchdown midway through the second quarter.
O’Regan completed 4-of-7 passes for 42 yards.
PREP FOOTBALL: WEEK 6
- VIDEO: Lely crushes East Lee 34-3
- VIDEO: Cape Coral High snaps a win vs. Palmetto
- VIDEO: Cougars QB discusses injury
- VIDEO: Cougars coach happy with 6-0 start
- VIDEO: BC's Gomez takes over at QB
- VIDEO: RAW VIDEO: Lely vs. East Lee County
- VIDEO: RAW VIDEO: Barron Collier vs. Cypress Lake
- PHOTOS: Prep Football: Barron Collier vs. Cypress Lake
- PHOTOS: Prep Football: Palmetto Ridge vs. Cape Coral
- PHOTOS: Prep football: Lely vs. East Lee
- PHOTOS: Prep football: Gulf Coast vs. Cape Coral-Baker
- PHOTOS: Prep Football: Barron Collier Fan Photos
- PHOTOS: Prep Football: Barron Collier Band Photos
- PHOTOS: Prep football: GCHS band
- STORY: Prep football Week 6: Barron Collier's Gomez steps right in for Schoenfeld
- STORY: Prep football Week 6: DeSoto County pounds Estero; Wildcats' Sides leaves with injury
- STORY: PHOTOS: Prep football Week 6: Baker rolls over injury-plagued Gulf Coast
- STORY: Prep football Week 6: South Fort Myers overcomes turnovers to rip North Fort Myers
- STORY: PHOTOS: Prep football Week 6: Cape Coral beats Palmetto Ridge, 24-14
- STORY: PHOTOS/VIDEO: Prep football Week 6: Lely mauls East Lee in prelude to Coconut Bowl
- STORY: Prep football Week 6: Hardee chews up Immokalee on the ground
- STORY: VIDEO/PHOTOS/STATS: Prep football Week 6: Barron Collier stays perfect with romp over Cypress Lake
- STORY: Prep football Week 6: Overstreet's TD run turns tide as Lehigh shuts down Golden Gate
- STORY: Prep football Week 6: Scores from around the state of Florida
- STORY: Prep football Week 6: Neumann has no answer for Bradenton Christian quarterback in 28-6 defeat
- STORY: Prep football Week 6: All of the scores, photos and videos
- Share your photos: Go to participate.naplesnews.com to submit photos from the football games - Don't forget to put your photos in the PrepZone channel
- Your Photos: Find reader-submitted photos from the games
- More: Go to naplesnews.com/prepzone to get more high school sports coverage