Here is health news from across Southwest Florida:
Prostate cancer treatments
A free session on treatments for prostate cancer will be held by Dr. David Spellberg at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at Collier Athletic Club, 710 Goodlette-Frank Road N., Naples. Reservations are required. Free. Information: (239) 434-8565.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) will sponsor an open house from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursday at 6216 Trail Blvd., Building C, Naples. Learn about the free services that include support, education and advocacy. Information: (239) 434-6726.
Health discussions at the libraries
* Dr. Kathleen Wilson, an internist, will discuss how to avoid being overmedicated, the best way to organize your medical records and how to prevent a heart attack, stroke and hip fracture at 2 p.m. Thursday at South Regional Branch Library, 8065 Lely Cultural Parkway, Naples. Information: (239) 252-7542.
* Sue Graziano, the nursing director of the NCH Orthopedic Center of Excellence and the Acute Comprehensive Rehabilitation Center, will discuss ways to keep your joints healthy at 2 p.m. Oct. 20 at the Headquarters Library, 2385 Orange Blossom Drive, Naples. Information: (239) 593-0177.
The Alzheimer’s Association will sponsor a memory walk at 9 a.m. Saturday at St. Ann Catholic School, 542 Eighth Ave. S., Naples. Registration starts at 8 a.m. Information: 418-1173
The following are different ways to help stop smoking:
* Six classes to be held from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays beginning Oct. 27 at NCH Downtown Naples Hospital, 350 7th St. N., Naples. Participants who are eligible will receive free nicotine replacement therapy patches, gum, and lozenges. Registration is required. Information: (239) 989-9809.
* Florida residents may call Quitline at (877) 822-6669 to receive five individualized counseling sessions and free self-help materials. The sessions are available in English, Spanish and TDD for the hearing impaired.
Support group forming
A support group for people dealing with or recovering from Clostridium difficile infection (C-diff) is forming to provide emotional support and practical help. Information: (239) 262-6362.
Lighthouse of Collier
The Lighthouse of Collier will meet from 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 21 at Edison State College, 7007 Lely Cutural Parkway, Building J-103, Naples. Joyce Hildreth, director of blind services for the state, will be the speaker.
* The Parkinson Association of Southwest Florida Inc. (PASFI) will sponsor a seminar from 1 to 3 p.m. Oct. 21 at Moorings Presbyterian Church, 791 Harbour Drive, Naples. The seminar will provide information on resources available in the area for anyone with Parkinson disease. Information: (239) 417-3465.
* A seminar to provide information on treatment options for severe hip pain, including information on the anterior approach to hip replacement, will be held from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Oct. 22 at the Hampton Inn, 9241 Market Place Road (near the Southwest Regional Airport), Fort Myers. Reservations are requested by calling (800) 256-1146 and mentioning reservation code 304.
UsToo, a prostate cancer support group, will meet at 7 p.m. Oct. 22 at Physicians Regional Medical Center cafeteria, 6101 Pine Ridge Road, in Naples. The presentation will be by Specialists in Urology. Information: (239) 514-0990.
* Dr, David C. Brown of Eye Centers of Florida has been offered an appointment to the University of South Florida College of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology as an affiliate assistant faculty member.
* ER QuickCare in Naples has received the certified urgent care designation. The center is at 13030 Livingston Road, Naples.
* Dr. Edwin J. Dean has expanded and relocated his practice to 501 Goodlette-Frank Road N., Naples. Information: (239) 263-0014.
* Dr. David Ornstein, a urologist, has opened Advanced Urology and Robotic Surgery at the Lutgert Cancer Center, NCH, 733 Fourth Ave. N., Naples. Information: (239) 409-9503.
Deadline for Health Briefs is 10 a.m. Thursday. E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Sheila Mesulam, Naples Daily News, 1100 Immokalee Road, Naples, Fla., 34110. All briefs are printed on a space-available basis. Connect with Sheila Mesulam at www.naplesnews.com/staff/sheila_mesulam