What's making news in food across Southwest Florida? Find out in FYI ...
‘Coupon Queen’ here
Sweetbay Supermarkets will bring the original “Coupon Queen,” Susan Samtur, to four stores in Southwest Florida next week to conduct free in-store seminars showing shoppers how to save money at the register. Samtur will conduct “Super Shopping Sessions” at stores and attendees will receive a $5 Sweetbay gift card, a copy of Samtur’s best-selling book, “Cashing In at The Checkout,” a $300 grocery coupon certificate booklet and a one-hour DVD entitled, “She Bought $519.66 Worth of Groceries for Only $22.10!”
Dates, Sweetbay Supermarket addresses and times are as follow:
* 4 p.m. Monday, Oct. 19, 2009, 8951 Bonita Beach Road, Bonita Springs
* 11 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 20, 4995 Golden Gate Parkway, Naples
* 5 p.m. Oct. 21, 4015 Santa Barbara Blvd., Naples
* 2 p.m. Oct. 22, 10026 Coconut Road, Estero
Registration is required; to register with one of the local stores, call (239) 596-8639.
'Sea Salt' named one of 20 best new restaurants
John Mariani, food and travel correspondent for Esquire Magazine, has chosen Sea Salt as one of the 20 best new restaurants of 2009. The restaurant is at 1186 Third St. S., Naples. Information and reservations: 643-7258
M Waterfront Grille is celebrating its first anniversary by offering complimentary appetizers from 5 to 11 p.m. Thursday at the Village on Venetian Bay, 4300 Gulf Shore Blvd. N., Naples. Margaritas and mojitos are $6 and Champagne will be half price. Guitarist Ron Stanley will entertain from 5 to 8 p.m. on the verandah and Victor Guitard will be on the sax and guitar from 8 to 11 p.m. Information: 263-4421
Executive chef Julius of Bamboo Cafe continues his weekly “Thursdays with Julia & Julius” series with a three-course French dinner on Thursday at 755 12th Ave. S., Naples. Recipes are inspired by Julia Child’s cookbooks and will include a green bean salad, coq au vin and blueberry clafoutis for $24.95 per person. Information and reservations: 643-6177
Stone crab season
Pinchers Crab Shack celebrates stone crab season and will have stone crab claws on its menu starting Friday at all its locations. Its area restaurants are at 1200 Fifth Ave. S., Naples, 434-6616 and 28580 Bonita Crossings Blvd., Bonita Springs, 948-1313
Free treats Saturday
Woof Gang Bakers’ grand opening is from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, with free treats for owners and their pets. The first 15 dogs will receive free treats for a year (only one offer per household). The event will also feature a pet photographer, raffle prizes and 20 percent off gourmet treats and toys. The store is at 7203 Radio Road, Naples. Information: 354-9807
Bravo! Cucina Italiana will open for dinner at 4 p.m. Monday and will serve lunch at 11 a.m. starting Tuesday at the Mercato, 9110 Strada Place, Naples. Brunch will be served at 11 a.m. on Saturdays and 10:30 a.m. on Sundays. The restaurant will feature Italian dishes for lunch and dinner cooked in an open kitchen. Information and reservations: 514-0042
Fill up your freezer
Omaha Steaks retail store will have a storewide sale with everything at least 50 percent below regular retail pricing from 10 to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday and from noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday. The store is at the Collection at 2367 Vanderbilt Beach Road, Naples. Information: 591-0170
Jets Pizza will offer customers a free slice and soda from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday at 3400 Radio Road, Naples, 434-5389, and 1011 Estero Town Commons, Estero, 459-5387
Eat lunch or dinner at a Naples Original restaurant Monday through Oct. 25 and receive a complimentary pass to Naples Botanical Garden. The Garden will re-open Nov. 14. Go to naplesoriginals.com for more information.
Falafel Grill has opened at 2075 Pine Ridge Road, Naples. Yes, you guessed it: a kabob and Middle Eastern place that’s perfect for lunch or dinner.
Sassy Cakes is now making pupcakes, They are treats for man’s best friend that come in carrot top buddy and monkey buddy flavors. Get some for your pooch from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesdays; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays at 2550 Goodlette-Frank Road, Naples. Information: 687-5100
Prix fixe dining
* Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar is featuring a $39.95 prix fixe three-course dinner menu through Jan. 4. The restaurant is also offering a four-course grand tour of Europe wine dinner for $55. The restaurant is at 8985 U.S. 41 N., Naples. Information and reservations: 598-2424
* Alexander’s Restaurant is serving a prix fixe lunch that includes soup or salad, the chef’s special entrée and dessert for $8.95. Lunch is served from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays through Fridays at 4077 U.S. 41 n., Naples. Information: 262-4999
The Dock Restaurant at Crayton Cove is now offering, in addition to its customer favorites, three new entrées: a Caribbean caramelized Mahi Mahi, charcoal-grilled cowboy steak and a one-pot snapper au vin. The restaurant is at 845 12th Ave. S., Naples. Information: 263-9940. Full menu: www.dockcraytoncove.com
“The Sauce Lady,” Ella Vivonetto, a familiar face at the Third Street Farmer’s Market, is now open on J&C Boulevard, Naples. Call 592-5557 for hours and information. The store will also house products from other vendors from the markets, including Cathy’s Herbs and Botanicals and Gatorbait Homemade All Natural Products. Cooking classes will be offered starting in November.
* Ben & Jerry’s at the Village on Venetian Bay, 4200 Gulf Shore Blvd. N., Naples will discount your purchase by 20 percent on Tuesday. Information: 403-2204
* Cafe Normandie, 3756 U.S. 41 N., Naples, is featuring all-you-can-eat crepes starting at 4 p.m. on Wednesdays for $19.99 and 20 percent off your check from 4 to 5:30 p.m. on Sundays. Order a dinner entrée and get the second one for half price every day except Wednesday and Sunday. Information: 261-0977
* Fred’s Diner is offering two for $25 Tuesdays and Thursdays through Saturdays at Uptown Plaza, 2700 Immokalee Road, Naples. The special includes an entrée and carafe of wine. During October children will eat free with a paying adult. Information: 431-7928
* Blue Bell has introduced Mexican Praline Ice Cream. It is a rich and creamy praline ice cream with chunks of Mexican pralines, roasted pecan pieces and a praline swirl. You get ice cream and candy all in one.
* Dunkin’ Donuts has added the following new flavors to its coffee, muffins and doughnuts through Nov. 26: Low-fat apple caramel muffin, pumpkin coffee and latte, pumpkin coffee coolatta, pumpkin muffin; pumpkin donut; fall harvest donut; and fall Munchkins donut hole treats.
Boston scream doughnuts will be available from Oct. 25 through Oct. 31. The doughnut is a traditional Boston kreme donut decorated with orange icing drizzle.
Become a winemaker
If you always wanted to learn the craft of winemaking and to tour a winery, your wish can come true for $20,000. This and other fantasy gifts are available in the 2009 Neiman Marcus Christmas book.
Compare the nutrition facts of two different foods by visiting www.twofoods.com/compare. The site gives the calories, carbs, fat and protein of each.
For your information
Do you know how to keep potatoes from budding in the bag? Put an apple in the bag with the potatoes.
Deadline for FYI Food is 10 a.m. Monday. E-mail to email@example.com or mail to Sheila Mesulam, Naples Daily News, 1100 Immokalee Road, Naples, FL 34110. All briefs are printed on a space-available basis.
Connect with Sheila Mesulam at www.naplesnews.com/staff/sheila_mesulam