Mario Sanchez seeks parent seat on Marco Island Charter Middle School board

Article Highlights

• The official candidacy process is to begin Oct. 24 and ballots mailed in late November
  • He makes 3 promises including to "foster a cooperative spirit" and be open to all
  • Sanchez says his experience in education can be put to use at MICMS
Mario Sanchez

Submitted

Mario Sanchez

— Mario Sanchez announced his candidacy for the Marco Island Charter Middle School Board early Thursday evening, making him the third candidate thus far— more than have publicly announced they’re running for this year's City Council election.

Sanchez is a parent of a current MICMS 7th-grade student, a college professor and Island resident. Of the three openings on the board, Sanchez will be vying for only one seat that is open to a parent of a student.

“I am certain that I will bring a unique perspective to the school’s governing body for the benefit of the students, parents, teachers and staff of our fine school,” Sanchez wrote in a prepared release Thursday.

Sanchez is a tenured professor at Miami-Dade College, teaching computer science and bioinformatics, which is the application of information technology to the field of molecular biology.

He says his experience as a teacher gives him the ability to relate to the issues and challenges teachers face, as well as their enormous contribution.

The experience at Miami Dade College, which has the largest undergraduate enrollment of any college or university in the U.S., makes him “well aware of the challenges a public institution faces as it enthusiastically strives to improve curriculum, outcomes and assessments within the framework of state and federal regulations— as well as employing the opportunities they afford.”

Sanchez makes at least three campaign promises issuing these statements:

- "I promise that I will strive for an open, transparent collegial forum, where all issues, ideas and suggestions will be welcomed and appreciated."

- "I promise that I will work diligently to ensure the safety of our children and to help them attain an exemplary education."

- "I promise that I will use all of my knowledge, education, experience and skills to foster a cooperative spirit amongst parents, teachers and administrators, and thereby ensuring the long term success of our school."

Sanchez is not new to the education scene on Island, as he had worked earlier this year on the initiative of getting an exemplary charter high school on the Island. He also is not particularly new to the political scene as he has been an advocate of open government on all levels in relation to Marco Island issues.

Prospective candidates for the Marco Island Charter Middle School board are still in the preliminary stage as the application process is to begin Oct. 24.

School board election ballots are scheduled to be mailed to parents of the students Nov. 20 and parents will have until Dec. 8 to cast their vote.

For additional information on the election process, visit the school, call 377-3200 or attend the school board meeting in the meeting room near the school gymnasium, 1401 Trinidad Ave., at 6 p.m., Thursday.

© 2009 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

livingonmarco writes:

good luck
please keep good intentions for charter school

Flowerpower writes:

MICMS PARENTS DO NOT BE FOOLED!

As a parent with children at the MICMS, please do not vote for this guy, he will not do anything productive for the school.

jwputnam writes:

And just how do you know that? Give us some specifics?

Mario is dedicated to education and has fought for a high school on the Island. His children are well brought up, bright and educated. I suggest that you visit him in his home as I have before you make such a judgement.

And....if you are so convinced of what you say, why not write under your own name? Should all of us trust in your judgement when you can't even put your name to such a statement? You appear to be passive aggressive to me.

livingonmarco writes:

jwputnam well put. I have children at MICMS and we need someone like Mario Sanchez to get the board and our school back in order.

clearlystated writes:

I smell a hidden agenda

ejburger writes:

Like you John, Mario likes to stir the pot. If I could vote in this school election I wouldn't vote for Sanchez.

Once again you seem to be taking liberties with the truth as Mario has only one child, a wonderful daughter. This is not personal I just question his agenda like clearlystated has.

I am glad you endorsed Sanchez as your endorsement amoung families on this island is the kiss of death. You complain about our parks and grossly overestimate the costs. KidsCove is a shining example of what a wondeful community we have here and how the residents can join together to build a great playground. Incidentally John, KidCoive cost the city $100k NOT $1m as you state (it was bulit by the real residents of Marco Island). Always the exaggerator and aggitator John. At least you consistant.

happy6 writes:

come on folks....at least the guy is willing to participate...unlike the rest of us that blog here...mr. burger...you seem to blog alot...get involved..run for the seat aainst sanchez...
and for flowerpower....you got the right name...flowerpower....do you have info to back up what you're saying here?if so, please share it.

jwputnam writes:

Mario has two boys and one daughter. The boys are in college.

What did the spray park cost EJ? hmmm?

ejburger writes:

What's the point John, do we not spend any money on parks and recreation for our kids? What is your point period John; you seem to be against everything!

jwputnam writes:

The park already had beautiful playground equipment EJ, but it was not Disney theme. The equipment was and is lightly used at best. I drive by it frequently. The addition of the spray park was irresponsible. Government does not exist to spend other people's money, unless of course you prefer socialism. If "M.O.M." wanted a blasted spray park, they should have built it by themselves. Why take my money for it? As Margaret Thatcher once said: "The problem with socialism it that you eventually run out of other people's money".

PS I am a resident of Marco incidentally. I go away to "summer camp" for five months each year. My wife and I have a total of 14 brothers and sisters with God knows how many nieces, nephews, grandchildren, etc. We have no choice but to be here.....and we love it.

Stop by for coffee some time EJ.

ejburger writes:

Sometimes I just can't disagree with your logic John. Maybe we should get rid of public libraries, museums, and schools; they're all publicly funded. I mean, I get your point. I hate socialism and the Pelosi's, Frank's and Obama's of the world as much as any other good conservative but the kids enjoy these parks. They are not empty, all summer long kids are there. Maybe when you drive by they're in school.