Lely beats Naples 12-6
A game ruled by special teams gave ...
Linebacker leads Trojans defense
Mike Snyder led the Trojans defense against ...
Lely leader talks defense
Jhony Faustin led Lely's defense against Naples
LELY 12, NAPLES 6, OT
Lely 0 3 3 0 6 — 12
Naples 3 0 0 3 0 — 6
N — Okubo 40 FG, 6:55
L — Jean 28 FG, 0:40
L — Bedolla 27 FG, 2:41
N — Okubo 44 FG, 9:33
L — Mathurin 10 pass from O’Regan
NAPLES — Lely came into Staver Field on Friday with a message for host Naples, and it was written clearly on the Trojans’ wristbands.
The Trojans outfought Naples, overcoming a sluggish offense with key defensive stops and a big play when it mattered in a 12-6 overtime victory in the 36th Coconut Bowl.
The Lely offense didn’t produce much but only needed one play to end the game. In overtime, after Naples missed a field goal, Trojans quarterback Sean O’Regan lofted a pass to the back corner of the end zone. Romanthi Mathurin, Lely’s 6-foot-2 senior, jumped and made a fingertip catch for the winning touchdown.
“It was automatic,” Mathurin said of his leaping grab. “I do it all the time, I just had to come out and do it in a game. I knew it was all on me to win this game. We couldn’t run it and we weren’t scoring, so I knew I had to do it.”
Mathurin’s first touchdown of the year came after perhaps Lely’s biggest defensive play of the season. The Trojans (4-3, 3-1 3A-12) held Naples, who had the ball first in overtime, to just 3 yards on three plays on its possession.
On fourth down, the Eagles (4-2, 2-1) lined up for a 23-yard field goal. Lely’s Mackinton Dorleant blocked Takeshi Okubo’s kick to hold Naples scoreless.
The Trojans blocked two field goals Friday and Okubo missed another. Both teams had a chance to win the game in regulation but missed fourth-quarter field goals with the score tied.
Lely won the Coconut Bowl trophy for the first time since 2005. It was just the Trojans’ second win over Naples in the last 11 tries.
“We knew it was going to be a fight. We knew it was going to be a battle,” Lely running back Darion Hall said. “That’s why we wrote ‘battle’ on our wrists. This shows us that we still got it.
“We finally got that nut back,” Hall added, referring to the game’s trophy that features a coconut on a wooden post.
Lely won despite just 102 yards of offense, 10 which came on the Trojans’ one overtime play. The Trojans were held to 29 yards rushing, and the game-winning touchdown was only O’Regan’s fourth completion of the game.
Naples rushed for 242 yards and finished with 307 yards of offense but managed just two field goals. The Eagles got inside Lely’s 20-yard line four times and couldn’t score touchdowns.
“We made critical errors on offense,” Kramer said. “Our offense became anemic once we got in the red zone. We have to fix that.”
Lely’s win gave Naples its second regular-season loss for the first time since 2005. The Eagles went 6-4 that year and a loss to Lely in the final week of the season knocked them out of the playoffs.
Kramer said next week’s game at Barron Collier is a must-win for Naples if the Eagles hope to make the playoffs. Naples and Lely both have one loss in Class 3A-District 12, while Barron Collier is 3-0.
After an Okubo field goal knotted the game at 6-all with less than 10 minutes left in the game, Lely’s Jhony Faustin electrified the visiting fans with a 95-yard kickoff return to the 5-yard line. Penalties pushed the Trojans back before Adolfo Bedolla pushed a 27-yard field goal wide left.
On their next possession, the Golden Eagles drove to the Lely 16 but couldn’t convert a third down. Okubo missed a 34-yarder wide right with 1:21 to play.
PREP FOOTBALL: WEEK 7
- Video: Lely beats Naples 12-6
- Video: Ridge slams Immokalee, 48-26
- Video: RAW VIDEO: Cape Coral Baker vs. South Fort Myers
- Video: Linebacker leads Trojans defense
- Video: Lely leader talks defense
- Photos: Prep Football: Naples vs. Lely
- Photos: Prep Football: Cape Coral Baker vs. South Fort Myers
- Photos: Prep football: Golden Gate vs. Cypress Lake
- Photos: Prep football: Palmetto Ridge vs. Immokalee
- Photos: Prep football: Golden Gate fan photos
- Your Photos: Prep Football: Naples High fan photos
- Your Photos: Prep football: Lely High fan photos
- Your Photos: Prep football: Naples High band photos
- Photos: Prep football: Golden Gate band photos
- Your Photos: Cape Coral fan photos
- Story: Prep football Week 7: Lely's Faustin, Snyder make difference in Coconut Bowl
- Story: Prep football Week 7: First Baptist digs deep after halftime speech to rout Cape Coral Christian
- Story: PHOTOS: Prep football Week 7: Lely goes nuts and upsets No. 6 Naples in OT in Coconut Bowl
- Story: PHOTOS: Prep football Week 7: Palmetto Ridge pulls away from Immokalee
- Story: Prep football Week 7: Fort Myers takes it to Estero in second half
- Story: PHOTOS/VIDEO: Prep football Week 7: South Fort Myers blasts Baker in battle of unbeatens
- Story: PHOTOS: Prep football Week 7: Golden Gate defense comes through when it counts in win over Cypress Lake
- Story: Prep football Week 7: Verot pulls away from Neumann with 35 points in second quarter
- Story: PHOTOS/VIDEOS: Prep football Week 7: Lely upsets Naples in Coconut Bowl and more
- Story: Prep football Week 7: Scores from around the state of Florida
- Share your photos: Go to participate.naplesnews.com to submit photos from the football games - Don't forget to put your photos in the PrepZone channel
- Your Photos: Find reader-submitted photos from the games
- More: Go to naplesnews.com/prepzone to get more high school sports coverage