OK, so season is just about to begin (how many car haulers have you spotted?), but you'll not find the robust offerings just around the corner. No matter, there's still lots to do and see across Southwest Florida. Here's a sample:
* COMEDY: Tennessee Tramp & Lana Turner, 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 9:30 p.m. Sunday, Capt. Brien’s Off the Hook Comedy Club, 599 S. Collier Blvd., Marco Island. $15. 389-6900.
* ANNUAL PLANT SALE: It’s first-come, first-served, at the Naples Orchid Society’s annual plant sale. From 400 to 500 orchids will be for sale, including cattleyas, dendrobiums, phalaenopsis, vandas and oncidiums. Prices will range from $5 and up, depending on the size and type of orchid. Raffle tickets will be sold until 12:30 p.m. for three blooming orchid plants. Where: Moorings Presbyterian Church, 791 Harbour Drive, Naples. When: Noon to 4 p.m. Cost: Free admission. Information: 822-7765 or www.naplesorchidsociety.org
* GOLF-A-THON: Date: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 11:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (approx). Place: Quarry Golf Lodge, 8950 Weathered Stone Drive, Naples. The golf-a-thon is a fundraiser for Boy Scouts in Troop 165. All the proceeds will go toward Troop 165’s Summer Camping Trips, High Adventure Camping, Eagle Projects, Merit badges, etc.
* FARMER'S MARKET: Third Street Farmer’s Market, 7:30-11:30 a.m. Saturday, behind Tommy Bahama, 1220 Third St., S., Naples. Free admission. 434-6533.
* Young Voices, a German chamber choir of ages 25 and younger on its first American tour, singing works from Mozart to folk, gospel, spirituals and modern pop. 7 p.m. today. Moorings Presbyterian Church, 791 Harbour Drive. Free will offering. 261-1487.
* Naples Concert Band, 2 p.m. Sunday, Cambier Park, 755 Eighth Ave. S., Naples. Donation. 263-9521.
OCTOBER IS ...
* National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
* National Domestic Violence Awareness Month
* National Depression Education and Awareness Month