Here is this week's People, Places and Things:
Elementary students are invited to attend the Kids Rock the Park from 1:30 to 3 p.m. the third Sunday of the month at the Naples Park Area Association, 654 104 Ave. N., Naples. A fall festival will be held today. Kids should bring a treat and they will learn the electric slide. Information: 596-2222
Dr. Jonathan Frantz will present a free seminar on Lasik at 5:30 p.m. Monday at Florida Eye Health, 2100 U.S. 41 N., Naples. Reservations are requested. Information: 430-3939
The Southwest Florida Pastel Society will meet at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the Norris Center, 755 Eighth St. S., Naples. The program is “What To Do Now—Ruts and Roadblocks,” a critique of paintings and solutions to problems. Information: 649-0167
Succeed in high school and discover your talents at the following free workshops at Golden Gate High School, 2925 Magnolia Pond Drive, Media Center, Naples: 2:15 p.m. Thursday, students only; 6 p.m. Nov. 5 and 12, students and parents; and 2:15 Dec. 3 and 17, students only. Information: 455-4958
An adult singles dance will be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Visions Nightclub, 11901 U.S. 41 N., Naples. $8, includes one drink and snacks. Information: 566-8627
The Collier County Women’s Bar Association in partnership with Legal Aid Service of Collier County and the Neighborhood Health Clinic will hold a clinic for low income individuals about the living will and health care surrogate from 5 to 7 p.m. Oct. 27 at 4125 U.S. 41 E., Naples. Reservations are required. Information: 298-8143
New board of directors
The following are the 2009-10 board of directors for the Greater Naples Branch, AAUW: Vi Steffan, Florence Chandler, Sue Goodwin, Ann Jacobson, Heather Lerner, Suzanne Herman, Michele Martin, Robin Birnhak, Nancy Palvino, Iris Bland, Janet Welch and Ann Trivisonno.
The Bonita Springs Historical Society needs vendors for a holiday bazaar to be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 4 in the garden at 27142 S. Riverside Drive, Bonita Springs. A meeting for members will be held at 10 a.m. Nov. 4 at the Riverside Drive address. Table charge is $25. Information: 390-2392
Volunteers are needed to provide tours of major exhibitions including the Princess Diana dresses by the Naples Art Association at the von Liebig Art Center, 595 Park St., Naples. Tours are held at 11 a.m. on Saturdays and by appointment for schools and groups. Information: 262-6517, ext. 110.
Achievements and accolades
* Bruce Baxter, Brigitta Jones and Anne O’Connell, members of the Bridge Deck Club of Naples, reached the status of Life Master at the ACBL regional tournament held at the Naples Grande Hotel.
* Edwin Colodny, advisory counsel board member of the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile, has been named citizen of the year by the Vermont Chamber of Commerce.
* Ashley M. Dunne, daughter of Sheryl L. and Jerry E. Dunne of Naples, graduated from the U.S. Coast Guard Recruit Training Center in Cape May, N.J.
* Michelle English has been hired as the executive director of Project Help. English was a volunteer on the executive board at Project help.
* Colleen M. Kvetko has been named chairwoman of the advisory board for Paws for Love Assistance and Therapy Dog program at the Humane Society Naples.
* The Civil Air Patrol was awarded the NBAA Al Ueltschi Humanitarian Award in recognition of the organization’s efforts to provide disaster relief for people and communities in times of crisis.
* Naples Botanical Garden won the leadership award for the 2009 intelligent use of water awards at the WaterSmart Innovations Conference and Exposition held in Las Vegas.
Deadline for People, Places and Things is 10 a.m. Wednesday. E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Sheila Mesulam, Naples Daily News, 1100 Immokalee Road, Naples, FL 34110. All briefs are printed on a space-available basis. Connect with Sheila Mesulam at www.naplesnews.com/staff/sheila_mesulam