Here are this week's health news briefs:
Sue Graziano, the nursing director of the NCH Orthopedic Center of Excellence and the Acute Comprehensive Rehabilitation Center, will discuss ways to keep your joints healthy at 2 p.m. today at the Headquarters Library, 2385 Orange Blossom Drive, Naples. Information: 593-0177
The following orthopedic lectures will be held at Physicians Regional Medical Center-Pine Ridge, 6101 Pine Ridge Road, Hospital lobby, Naples:
* H. Kurtis Biggs, an osteopath, will discuss custom fit total knee replacement from 6 to 7 p.m. Wednesday.
* Dr. Frederick F. Buechel Jr. will discuss an innovative way to treat osteoarthritis of the knee from 6 to 7 p.m. Thursday.
Reservations are requested. Information: 348-4180
Senior health event
The Senior Friendly Extravaganza will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday at Harborside Event Center, 1375 Monroe St., Fort Myers. The event will feature health screenings, live music, prizes, a classic car show, bingo and free coffee and donuts.
Breakfast with the Blades
Have breakfast with the Everblades and get autographs from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday at the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort, Coconut Road, Bonita Springs. Proceeds benefit the Children’s Hospital at the Lee Memorial Health System. $100, adults; $50, children under 12. Information: (239) 985-3550
The following are different ways to help stop smoking:
* Six classes to be held from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. on Tuesdays beginning Oct. 27 at Naples Community Hospital, 350 Seventh St. N., Naples. Participants who are eligible will receive free nicotine replacement therapy patches, gum and lozenges.
Registration is required. Information: 989-9809
* Florida residents may call Quitline at (877) 822-6669 to receive five individualized counseling sessions and free self help materials. The sessions are available in English, Spanish and TDD for the hearing impaired.
Lighthouse of Collier
The Lighthouse of Collier will meet from 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday at Edison State College, 7007 Lely Cutural Parkway, Building J-103, Naples. Joyce Hildreth, director of blind services for the State of Florida, will be the speaker.
* The Parkinson Association of Southwest Florida Inc. (PASFI) will sponsor a seminar from 1 to 3 p.m. Wednesday at Moorings Presbyterian Church, 791 Harbour Drive, Naples. The seminar will provide information on resources available in the area for anyone with Parkinson disease. Information: 417-3465
* A seminar on 10 problems caused by leaky leg veins will be presented by Dr. Joseph DMagnant from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Lee Center for Rehabilitation and Wellness, 2070 Carrell Road, Fort Myers. Registration is required. Information: 418-2000
* A seminar to provide information on treatment options for severe hip pain including information on the anterior approach to hip replacement will be held from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Hampton Inn, 9241 Market Place Road (near the Southwest Regional Airport), Fort Myers. Reservations are requested by calling (800) 256-1146 and mention reservation code 304.
* Dr. Nadia Kazim will present a free seminar on drooping eyelids, eyebrows or wrinkles at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 27 at Florida Eye Health, 2100 U.S. 41 N., Naples. Reservations are requested. Information: 430-3939
Prostate cancer support groups
* UsToo, a prostate cancer support group, will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Physicians Regional Medical Center’s cafeteria, 6101 Pine Ridge Road, Naples. The presentation will be by Specialists in Urology. Information: 514-0990
* Man to Man Prostate Support Group will meet at 7 p.m. Monday at the Telford Educational Center, 350 Seventh St. N., Naples. Dr. Michael Smith, a specialist in urology, will be the speaker. Information: 825-3535
Lighthouse of Collier County is sponsoring the Halloween Monster Crazy 8K Run/two mile Fun Walk at 7:30 a.m. Sunday at Vineyards Community Park, 6231 Arbor Blvd., Naples. Children and adults will also be able to enter a costume contest. Register at www.Active.com
CHADD of Collier County will meet from 7 to 9 p.m. Monday at the Physicians Regional Hospital, 6101 Pine Ridge Road, Physicians dining room, Naples. Memory issues and strategies to help will be discussed.
Florida Telecommunications Relay Inc. is offering a complimentary new amplified telephone developed by Clarity to residents of Collier County who are living with hearing loss. To get the telephone you must be a permanent Florida resident and certified by a doctor that you have a hearing loss. Information: (800) 222-3448 or www.ftri.org
The following are the newest members of the Collier County Medical Society:
Dr. Tom Macek, Dr. Silvia Garcia, Dr. Sajan Rao, Dr. Holly Miller and Carolyn Langford, an osteopath.
* Samira K. Beckwith, president and CEO of Hope HealthCare Services, is a finalist for lifetime achievement and best executive for the Stevie Awards for Women in Business.
* Dr. Gerardo Santiago, a pediatric dental specialist, attended the American Dental Association convention in Hawaii from Oct. 1-3. Santiago’s practice is at 3021 Airport-Pulling Road, Naples.
Deadline for Health Briefs is 10 a.m. Thursday. E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Sheila Mesulam, Naples Daily News, 1100 Immokalee Road, Naples, FL 34110. All briefs are printed on a space-available basis. Connect with Sheila Mesulam at www.naplesnews.com/staff/sheila_mesulam