Here is health news in brief from across Southwest Florida:
Hospital Auxiliary linen sale
The Naples Community Hospital Auxiliary will sponsor a linen sale from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday and from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday in Naples at 350 Seventh Street N., in the Cafeteria. Sheets, comforters, children’s bedroom ensembles, area rugs, bath decor, art work, handbags and mineral make-up will be part of the sale. Proceeds will be used for scholarships to students entering the medical field.
Bagels and breast feeding
Pregnant women and breast feeding mothers are invited to “Bagels & Breast Feeding,” from 9:30 to 11 a.m. Thursday at the Golden Gate Community Center, 4701 Golden Gate Parkway, Rooms A and B, Golden Gate. The event is sponsored by the Collier County Health Department’s Women, Infant and Children’s program. Information: 455-1931 or 252-5316.
* Dr. Robert D. Klausner will present a free seminar on cosmetic and reconstructive facial surgery, skin care, skin cancer and contemporary treatment and rejuvenation of the aging face at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Bonita Community Health Center, the Brooks, 3501 Health Center Blvd. (U.S. 41 and Coconut Road), Bonita Springs. Refreshments will be available before the presentation. Reservations are requested. Information: 498-4968.
* Brendan Brazier, ironman triathlete and author of “Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide” will discuss his book and a long-term eating plan to help achieve optimal health at 5:30 p.m. Sunday at the Unity of Bonita, 28285 Imperial St., Bonita Springs. $15. Reservations requested. Information: 641-5559.
Bereavement support group
A bereavement support group will be offered for eight sessions beginning Nov. 4 at the Jewish Family Services, 2500 Vanderbilt Beach Road, Naples. Information and reservations: 425-4444.
Dr. Leon Mead, a board-certified orthopedic surgeon, will discuss knee and hip replacement surgery at 2 p.m. Nov. 4 at the Naples Branch Library, 650 Central Ave., Naples.
Florida Telecommunications Relay Inc. is offering a complimentary new amplified telephone developed by Clarity to residents of Collier County who are living with hearing loss. To get the telephone, you must be a permanent Florida resident and certified by a doctor that you have a hearing loss. Information: (800) 222-3448 or www.ftri.org.
The Neighborhood Health Clinic has elected the following officers and board members: Deborah Russell, chairwoman; Dave Weston, chairman-elect; Claude Weir Jr., secretary; Connie Dalis, treasurer; Dr. Thomas Brick, Joe Davis and Dr. George Ferguson, board members.
The following are the newest members of the Collier County Medical Society:
Dr. Tom Macek, Dr. Silvia Garcia, Dr. Sajan Rao, Dr. Holly Miller and Carolyn Langford, an osteopath.
Physicians Regional Medical Center’s spine surgery program ranked among the top 5 percent in the nation and No. 1 in Florida, according to a study by HealthGrades, an independent health-care ratings organization.
* Samira K. Beckwith, president and CEO of Hope HealthCare Services, is a finalist for lifetime achievement and best executive for the Stevie Awards for Women in Business.
* Dr. Gerardo Santiago, a pediatric dental specialist, attended the American Dental Association convention in Hawaii from Oct. 1-3. Santiago’s practice is at 3021 Airport-Pulling Road, Naples.
* Dr. Robert B. Tober was given the Roy M. Baker, M.D. Award at the Florida Medical Association’s Board of Governors meeting on Oct. 18 in Key Largo.
Deadline for Health Briefs is 10 a.m. Thursday. E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Sheila Mesulam, Naples Daily News, 1100 Immokalee Road, Naples, FL 34110. All briefs are printed on a space-available basis. Connect with Sheila Mesulam at www.naplesnews.com/staff/sheila_mesulam