Here is this week's look at People, Places and Things:
Gulf Coast Poodle Club and Rescue will sponsor a pet dinner at 7 p.m. Monday at Sam Bucco Bistro, 14700 U.S. 41 N., Naples. Reservations are required. Information: 992-8099
Italian lessons will be available at the following locations:
* The Naples Italian American Club will be giving Italian lessons 10 a.m. to noon Mondays, beginning Monday, at 7035 Airport-Pulling Road N., Naples. Free for members; $50 for others. Information: 597-5210
* The Italian Cultural Society of Naples will sponsor adult Italian lessons 4 to 5:45 p.m. on Wednesdays from Wednesday through Dec. 16 at the Community School of Naples, 13275 Livingston Road, Naples. $60, plus the book. Information: 254-1155
Seacrest Country Day School will sponsor an admission open house for pre-kindergarten through 12th grade from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 9 at 7100 Davis Blvd., Naples.
White House ornaments
The Bonita Springs Historical Society is selling the 2009 edition of the White House Christmas ornaments from 1 to 3 p.m. Thursdays at the Liles Research Center, Riverside Park, 27300 Old 41 Road, Bonita Springs. The 2009 ornaments honor Grover Cleveland. $20. Information: 992-6997 or 498-1951
The following students were awarded scholarships:
* Illiano Montez, Immokalee High School, and Diana Saintil, Golden Gate High School, the Gordon Scholarship.
* David Ayora, Servenot Servius, Marjorie Eldira, Golden Gate High School, and Juan Mancera, Lely High School, the Franklin Scholarship.
The following Naples residents will be initiated into the Araba Shriners on Nov. 17: Buddy D. Hager, Jonathan Karalekas, Ioan Moldovan and Lynn A. Radi.
Achievements and accolades
* Donna Christensen, a Preferred Travel of Naples senior travel specialist, has been recognized by Travel & Leisure magazine as one of the top 129 travel consultants for 2009. Christensen was the only U.S. travel agent to be recognized in the category called Special Interests for Private Jet Tours.
* Norman Love, founder of Norman Love Confections, has been named one of the top 10 chocolatiers in North America for 2009 by Dessert Professional magazine.
* Jeanne Houle Peters of Naples was honored by the University of Florida’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences for converting her yard to water-wise landscaping. She and her husband, Jack Peters, planted native, drought-tolerant and butterfly-attracting plants. The yard is alive with bugs, birds, butterflies and caterpillars, and one of only a few in Collier County to be designated as a Certified Florida Yard.
* Ted Soliday, executive director of Naples Airport Authority, was presented with the Vocational Award by the Rotary Clubs of Naples and Marco Island in recognition of his commitment to the Rotary ideals of service.
Deadline for People, Places and Things is 10 a.m. Wednesday. E-mail to email@example.com or mail to Sheila Mesulam, Naples Daily News, 1100 Immokalee Road, Naples, FL 34110. All briefs are printed on a space-available basis. Connect with Sheila Mesulam at www.naplesnews.com/staff/sheila_mesulam