Cookin' again: North Naples fire victim receives replacement stove, cabinets

For the last few days, 85-year-old Bryan Savich’s dinner was served by neighbors after a fire destroyed the stove inside his North Naples mobile home over the weekend.

“My neighbor brought me some pizza, and a lady brought me some roast beef last night,” Savich said.

But now the octogenarian is cooking again, thanks to the generosity of a group of North Naples firefighters and two local businesses.

On Wednesday afternoon a group of North Naples firefighters stopped by Savich’s home to deliver a replacement stove — a used model donated by Speedy Appliance Service, 2174 J&C Blvd. — as well as a custom-made cabinet to hold the stove, which was built by Architectural Wood Products, 2154 J&C Blvd.

“No need for money. Everything was donated,” North Naples fire Capt. Tab Custer said.

The fire erupted around 9:30 a.m. inside Savich’s trailer at 1111 Jacaranda Court in the Caribbean Mobile Home Park. He said he was boiling water when he saw flames, and called the fire department.

The fire either started on the stove or by an electrical malfunction, officials said, and is still under investigation.

After putting out the fire, Custer said the firefighters learned that Savich didn’t have any family in town to help him recover. So they contacted the local businesses to see if they could help.

“When we run into something like this, if the circumstance is merited, we try to lend a hand whenever we can,” Custer said.

While waiting for the stove to be unloaded, Savich said he was looking forward to making coffee, and was hoping to bring the firefighters some donuts sometime down the road.

“They’re doing a great job,” Savich said. “I really appreciate it.”

© 2009 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Comments » 0

Be the first to post a comment!

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.