Letter to the Editor: Rescind special assessment

To: Donna Fiala, chairperson, Board of County Commisioners, Collier County.

Subject: Mandatory assessment for collection and disposal of solid waste; notice of Aug. 14, issued by the Collier County Public Utilities Division and the Board of County Commissioners.

I’m writing to you to request that the Board of County Commissioners revise their decision on special assessment for trash collection and disposal, as indicated in the notice listed above.

It is not the right decision now to impose any additional charges on the owners of Florida properties. I request and believe that the board may rescind the new special assessment totally and/or postpone it for the next three years due to deep recession and the falling market values of real estate in Collier County.

The board should rather consider all possible ways to reduce, at least temporarily, the costs of municipal services and, if necessary, to reduce the scope and frequency of trash collection. For example, I suggest to make only one trash collection per week (instead of two), and as a consequence to either reduce the price paid for that service or to maintain it without change. Hence I do not see any reason for the special assessment at this time.

I request that my suggestions and opinion be included as subject of the Board deliberations at the next meeting on Sept. 15 (as indicated in your notice).

Thank you for your consideration.

Dr. Karol I. Pelc

Marco Island

© 2009 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

OldMarcoMan writes:

I hope you included a Big Fat Campaign Check in your letter to Fiala if not you might as well be asking my Cat for help.

jwputnam writes:

Dr. Pelc,

Great idea! Good thinking. I have always wondered why we have our trash collected twice a week anyway. Seems a little excessive.

Hope she gets your message.

marcoislandres writes:

The way it works it if they pick it up more often it cost less, if you only have it picked up once a week it will cost more. It's like Marco water if we don't use it we have to pay more so please try not to conserve it.

happy6 writes:

john...she won't get the message...she's the one that didn't know walmart was building the super center 3 miles from the other super center and now we have a "traffic problem"...she's just like the rest...throw 'em all out...

ejburger writes:

I'm not a fan of Fiala as a comminssioner, nice lady but no ones home. Ok Shadow, throw them all out and then what? Are you going to serve? There is a shortage of individuals that run for office because of the abuse they take, no one wants the job! Our city councilors get $6000 a year, hardly enough to put up with all of the BS they have to put up with. This is why it's hard for me to take people like you and the few other chronic complainers serious; if you really had any guts at all you would run for office.

u2cane writes:

Chronic complainers? Down here? No way. I think we just have people that live in paradise and are very unhappy with their lives so they want to make those around them just as unhappy as they are. Personally I think its funny and they keep me laughing.

Fossil writes:

ejburger: So, why don't the ones we have on Marco Island simply resign? Any normal person wouldn't stick around and take the abuse. These guys revel in it like pigs in mud. There are other benefits that must make it all worth while. Yes, many folks of Marco Island who paid for the infrastructure through their property taxes and utility assessments, are unhappy. Unfortunately for our community, these taxpayers are moving off island everyday because they can no longer afford to live here. No telling how many dreams our current and present City Council have destroyed. Soon the Chamber, their tourists and the Chamber's council will have it all to themselves. Thank you City Council for caring.