LELY 21, GOLDEN GATE 7
Lely 0 7 7 7 — 21
GG 0 0 0 7 — 7
L - Matt Costello 25 pass from Sean O'Regan (Bedolla kick) 2:12
L - Darion Hall 1 run (Bedolla kick) :16.7
L - Robbie Rakoski 10 blocked punt return (Bedolla kick) 11:01
GG - Shun Knowles 4 run (Moreno kick) 9:10
NAPLES — With Lely and Golden Gate players holed up in the locker room champing at the bit as they waited out a two-hour lightning delay, Trojans interim head coach Dave Miller wasn’t too concerned about getting his team refocused as they prepared to take the field.
After all, this waiting around business is old hat for Lely. The Trojans had their preseason game canceled due to a swine flu outbreak at their opponent's school. The next week, their first game was initially postponed in Miami due to inclement weather, then shortened to three quarters when the the game was played the following day.
“This is nothing for us,” Miller said with a smirk moments before officials decided to go ahead with the game. “We’re used to this. Our guys’ll be ready.”
“Ready” might not have been the exact term to describe the Trojans’ performance Friday at Golden Gate but they were good enough to hold off the Titans, 21-7, to pick up their second win of the season.
It was also a Class 3A-District 12 win for the Trojans.
“It wasn’t the prettiest of games,” Miller said. “We overcame a lot of obstacles. We knew what we had to do and came away with a big district win."
Playing on one of only two natural grass high school fields in Collier County, at times the sloppiness of the play matched the muckiness of the field, which absorbed the evening’s torrential downpour.
Between the two teams, there were nine fumbles in the game, four by Lely star running back Darion Hall. Though all three resulted in turnovers, the Titans were unable to capitalize.
It was a Golden Gate turnover, however, that led to the game’s first score. Titans quarterback Devin Woods attempted a screen pass but was picked off by Lely defensive tackle Cesar Torres, who returned the ball 30 yards to the Titans 26-yard line.
Ironically, with both teams choosing to run the ball overwhelmingly, it was a third down pass from Lely quarterback Sean O’Regan to wideout Matt Costello for 25 yards to put the Trojans up.
Costello and O’Regan hooked up on two more big pass plays, for 55 and 62 yards. The second set up the Trojans’ second score, a 1-yard run by Hall with seconds to go in the third quarter.
“O’Regan grew up tonight,” Miller said. “The offensive line gave him a lot of time.”
Lely (2-2) scored immediately after Hall’s touchdown, when Robbie Rakoski blocked a Titans punt and returned it 10 yards as the Trojans took a 21-point lead.
Shun Knowles, who put in a full night’s work with 26 rushes for 104 yards, scored Golden Gate’s lone touchdown, taking it in from four yards with nearly nine minutes left.
PREP FOOTBALL: WEEK 4
- Video: Barron Collier stays perfect against Lehigh, 42-18
- Video: Gulf Coast takes Immokalee, 38-26
- Video: Naples Beats East Lee High 33-0
- Video: RAW VIDEO: Naples vs. East Lee County
- Video: PrepZone Football: South drops Verot
- Video: John Cassio's "Between the Hashes" Week 4
- Video: Coach Weber's Game of the Week: Week 4
- Photos: Prep football: Lely vs. Golden Gate
- Photos: Prep Football: Naples vs. East Lee
- Photos: Prep Football: Palmetto Ridge vs. Estero
- Photos: Prep Football: Estero's homecoming
- Photos: Prep Football: Barron Collier vs. Lehigh
- Photos: Prep football: Immokalee vs. Gulf Coast
- Photos: Prep football: Bishop Verot at South Fort Myers
- Your Photos: First Baptist Academy Homecoming
- Your Photos: Barron Collier HS fan photos
- Your Photos: Immokalee High fans
- Your Photos: Gulf Coast High fans
- Your Photos: Naples High fans
- Share your photos: Go to participate.naplesnews.com to submit photos from the football games - Don't forget to put your photos in the PrepZone channel
- Your Photos: Find reader-submitted photos from the games
- More: Go to naplesnews.com/prepzone to get more high school sports coverage