BOOKMARK DAMAS SECTION
NAPLES — Maven Damas admired men who were strong.
His favorite professional wrestler was John Cena and he recently drew a picture of the Incredible Hulk.
“It didn’t look nothing like it, but he tried,” said Mackindy Dieu, 24, Maven’s uncle.
The 6-year-old was pretty strong himself, Dieu said.
“His body is built like he was lifting weights,” said Netty Fleury, 43, Maven’s aunt.
The first-grader also liked to do pushups.
“He liked to fight. He liked to wrestle. He was a jock, pretty much,” he said. “He would always flex, like can you see my muscle?”
Lely Elementary School teacher Carlotta Rubel, who was Maven’s kindergarten teacher, remembers a little boy who was warm and bubbly and had miles of personality.
“He would just bounce into a room,” she said. “He was born in June, so he was one of the youngest in his class. But that made him try harder.”
Maven liked school, liked drawing and was learning cursive at Osceola Elementary School, family members said.
Rubel remembers Maven having lots of commitment.
“He was a good little worker,” she said. “He wasn’t as gregarious and outgoing as (older brother) Zack, but he was his own person.”
But Zack always looked out for his little brother, Rubel said. “When I dropped Maven off to get the bus home, Zack always made sure there was room for him,” she said.
Family members said Maven was very independent. The recalled a recent block party when the family couldn’t find Maven. He had gone off to a neighbor’s house.
“You have to make sure he’s with you, because he’ll do something wrong,” said Fleury. “He’s always on the go. He’s active, like he has ants in his pants.”
They said he would run off and do his own thing, he wasn’t shy at all.
Rubel said she spoke with Maven’s teacher once he moved to Osceola.
“She said he was a good addition to her classroom,” she said.
DAMAS FAMILY KILLINGS COVERAGE
ONE YEAR LATER:
- Year after slayings of Guerline Damas, five kids, relatives ask ‘did it really, really happen?’
- Confessed killer Mesac Damas wants to die, so should court system let him?
- Damas family slayings: Year later, still haunting lives of friends, family, deputies
- Jail phone call: Accused killer Mesac Damas talks to father about his slain family, Satan and adultery
MESAC DAMAS CONFESSION VIDEO:
DAILY NEWS STAFF JOURNALISTS TALK ABOUT THE CASE:
- THE FIELD: Naples Daily News staff writer describes how he obtained an interview with Mesac Damas
- THE FIELD: Visual Journalist Greg Kahn discusses being the first journalist at the Damas crime scene, and other observations from the field.
- THE FIELD: Staff Writer Steven Beardsley answers questions about his interview with Mesac Damas