505 Barefoot Beach Blvd., Naples, FL
The 25-foot fishing boat belonging to a Naples crabber that capsized Wednesday has been located seven miles offshore from The Ritz-Carlton, Naples, and submerged 20 feet, according to authorities.
Bart Bailey, 50, the Naples fisherman who survived when his boat capsized after being hit by two waves, has been discharged from North Naples Hospital where he was treated for dehydration and hypothermia, according to his wife, Pepper Bailey.
He had been found Thursday morning on Barefoot Beach after he swam to shore. He had been in the water all Wednesday night, with a life preserver, while the U.S. Coast Guard and other authorities searched for him.
Bailey provided the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission with the navigational coordinates where he had been setting traps and the commission was able to locate the boat and his traps. His boat was a center-console Sowester, named “Stella,” after his granddaughter.
The commission is investigating what happened but there is no reason to question that he was hit by two waves, said Gabriella Ferraro, commission spokeswoman.
“Everything is accurate and consistent,” she said.
Bailey is responsible for bringing his boat to land, because it is a navigational hazard, and that needs to be done quickly, she said,
Bailey’s wife said he hopes to do that Monday morning after resting over the weekend.
“Everybody, including the charter fisherman, were out looking for my husband,” she said. “I am so grateful to everyone who helped us out.”
Connect with health-care reporter Liz Freeman at www.naplesnews.com/staff/liz_freeman