Veterans' Park to get a new name, new focus

Two parks with similar names lead to a new Founders Park name change for Veterans' Park

Article Highlights

• Only one Veterans Park to remain on Marco Island
  • Founders Park to memorialize city contributors
Small, but pretty and lluxuriant with vegetation, Veterans Memorial Park will soon undergo a name change.

Photo by QUENTIN ROUX, Staff

Tucked into a lot flanking Barfield Drive and Collier Boulevard, Veterans Memorial Park is pleasing to the eye from a motorist's point of view, especially when stopped at a red light.

Photo by QUENTIN ROUX, Staff

Photo by QUENTIN ROUX, Staff

Which is your favorite choice for renaming Veterans' Memorial Park

See the results »

View previous polls »

— Making your way to Marco Island's Veterans' Park can be tricky because there are two of them. Veterans' Memorial Park is the smaller park located at North Collier Boulevard and North Barfield Drive. It's to get a new name, Founders Park, to stop the confusion.

Veterans' Community Park, which opened in December 2008 on Elkcam Circle, is to keep its name.

Council decided on Monday to take the recommendation from the city's parks and recreation advisory committee to change the name of Veterans' Memorial Park to Founders Park in a unanimous decision.

"The city has encountered some confusion in dispatching emergency calls to two parks bearing similar names," reported Parks and Recreation Director Bryan Milk.

The decision mirrors the public's vote in city polls on the renaming of the park. Founders Park, by a narrow margin, edged out Paradise Park and Celebration Park as options for the new name.

It will cost $2,000 to change the sign at the park.

Founders Park will memorialize public leaders, past and present, with monuments or plaques placed throughout the site, Milk said.

Widow Barbara Day said she wasn't pleased with the idea. Her husband, former City Councilman Ed Day, had worked to secure Veterans' Memorial Park before his death about seven years ago, she said.

"The name (Veterans' Park) is fine... I think Day Park would be better," she said.

Council decided to approve the recommendation of the advisory committee, instead. Milk said that Day may be among the founders to be recognized in the park.

© 2010 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Related Topics

Stilllaughing writes:

Here's a prime example of throwing away taxpayers dollars. The newer Veteran's Community Park (where they crushed the asbestos) is yet undeveloped with no sign. The established Veteran's Memorial Park has a very nice sign which in our Councils great wisdom, unanimously voted to change to the tune of $2000.00

Like they say - You can't fix s-----.

MarcoAvenger writes:

Yes it is true that the new Veterans Community Park is not developed yet. However, there has been extensive design work done. Also last night at the City Council meeting the Marco Island VFW Post presented the city with a check for 10,000. This money will be put towards the Veterans Memorial that will be constructed within the new park. I believe the Veterans Memorial will be one of the first phases of the new park. Our Veterans deserve a place big enough to accommodate a proper memorial. They also deserve a location that allows easy access to visit and remember friends and family members.

I realize it is hard to keep up with all the things that happen on the island, but this is a good thing. Veterans Community Park when completed will give Marco Island a much needed town center where all islanders can congregate. My hope is the park when completed will provide a much needed sense of community.

The old (Smaller Veterans Park) will be renamed Founders Park. The idea is to use this park to recognize members of the Marco Community that helped or will help to make Marco what it is and what it will become.

In the end we all need to get away from using the comment section to belittle each other (Heck I have said some things on here I wish I could take back). We have to move toward healing the island. We also have to listen to both sides before we sit down and hastily write a comment. I think if everyone took a little time they would learn that we all want the same thing.

MarcoAvenger writes:

Rolomokat – sometimes green space really makes a nice impression when you come across the bridge onto the island. I guess you would be much happier with an old neglected house there with a gravel yard with weeds sprinkled in for that just right un-keep look.

I have been looking at your recent post and you are just hear to cause trouble. I have a little time on my hand is the only reason that I am even replying to your post. This island has a great deal of good things to offer. I choose to look at the good, and you choose to look at the bad. That is the difference between us.

MarcoAvenger writes:

Thanks for proving my point Rolomokat. You are the perfect example of everything that is wrong with the Island. I actually try to get out and make the island better. While you are wishing people were dead. I will keep your reply incase anything happens to me. I consider this a threat and fear for the safety of my family and friends.

Fossil writes:

"The idea is to use this park to recognize members of the Marco Community that helped or will help to make Marco what it is and what it will become."

Exactly what does the writer Avenger mean when he/she states "...will help to make Marco what it is and what it will become"? This statement advances an intent that is not in the proposal I heard during the meeting. Renaming the park "Founders Park" implies three subjects are being considered. 1. Native Americans, settlers and pioneers that were the original founders of Marco Island; 2. Citizens, local charactors and developors that are responsible for the original planning that made Marco Island what it is today; 3. Those citizens that worked and succeeded in making Marco Island a City only to lose it and those who made several attempts at a second and thrid effort to make Marco Island a City, those citizens that negotiated the ideas and compromises that made it politically possible and perhaps the first elected officials that served our community. There is nothing in the proposal as explained to the public to honor any modern or post City politicians or citizens. The name of this park "Founders Park" does not include honoring those who came later nor does it honor those who served after the first year of our city' current founding. To think otherwise is to believe that Richard Nixon or Ronald Reagan is one of the "founders" of our nation. Exactly what do the local politicos intend to do with this park? Memorialize selective politiciians and wealthy citizens? Is this more of the G. E. Tucker memorial effort? If so, I want nothing to do with it.

MarcoAvenger writes:

Fossil – I came here hopping to open dialog and discuss island issues. However, I should have known better. All get is treated (put a gravestone with my name on it in the new park) etc. It will be much better for me to let you guys that post here just simmer in your hatred, and it will eventually eat away at you until it destroys you. I will continue to help make Marco a great place. You guys do not want anything nice on the island, because then you would not have anything to complain about.

MarcoAvenger writes:

Rolomokat – you are the perfect example of a good democrat. You democrats believe that you are the only one who have the right to use public forums to promote your beliefs.

You also seem to be a little unstable and perhaps a little psychotic. It would probably be best to report you to the authorities so they can keep an eye on you to prevent you from hurting yourself or perhaps hurting someone else.

Fossil writes:

Avenger: why do you bristle when I question motives? Is it because you are a part of the Chamber that wants only to promote it's ideas and to hell with what anyone else thinks? This is not about Democrats or Republicans it's about a park in our city. We all want something nice, but not just for the good ole boys. This island belongs to the residents and business community together. It is not the Chamber's playground to do with as they please.

MarcoAvenger writes:

Fossil - I am not bristling. I know that there are still conversations going on about the newly named park. Therefore there is no need to continue to discuss the exact details until all things are worked out. I get very frustrated because both sides use these post as bully pulpits. Someone comes here to try to carry on a conversation and before too long one side is insulting the other. I always think I can come here and explain my position or try to understand the other side; however things are so hostile here that you cannot carry on a productive conversation. I have seen a number of your post, and you do present you position well at times. However, this rolomokat is just here to cause problems. I do not think I have seen one reasonable post by him. All I can say is get involved in what is going on. There are a number of city committees that need volunteers. This is your island help put your stamp on it.

Well said.

margiepap writes:

why don't the people who think marco island is wasting time, money and space just get the heck off the island. obviously they are better than all of us especially as spellers!

LadueVGilleo writes:

Here we have another comment from Mr. Sensitivity himself, rolomokat. Take a moment and click on his name, and read all his “contributions” to this site. Recently, this individual posted a blatant racist remark that had to be removed by Marco News staff: this was not the first time staff had to remove his posts. rolomokat continuously posts jokes and insulting comments about deceased Marco Island civic leaders, and once posted a joke about an individual who past away while golfing on one of the local courses. And of course he attacks other individuals who post comments on this site, just like he will attack me once his mother reads him my comments. Here is yet another individual who has made a conscious decision to post comments on this site that only serve to hurt or bully people, like any spineless ignorant jerk who does this for his own infantile enjoyment. Remember, reading a comment submitted by rolomokat will insult your common sense like a foul and pestilent congregation of odors will insult your nose.