2250 Cannon Boulevard
NAPLES — Golden Gate firefighters rushed to the scene of a burning home Wednesday evening only to be met by several more hazards, including live power lines and a large amount of ammunition.
“It sounded like a popcorn maker going off for about 15 minutes,” said Golden Gate Battalion Chief Nolan Sapp as the fire smoldered with little of the home remaining.
The home, at 2250 Cannon Boulevard, a private drive off Immokalee Road in eastern Collier County, caught on fire before 4:53 p.m., when the call came in.
Sapp said no one was in the home, but the owner did lose a pet.
As his crews rushed to the scene of the fire, Sapp said it was obvious the home was engulfed.
“You could see the column (of smoke) was already well established,” Sapp said.
On arrival, the crews saw live power lines stretched across the burning home. As they waited for the power company, the ammunition started going off.
“We just kept the crews back and let the structure collapse,” Sapp said.
After the ammunition went off, fire crews doused the flames, but only a small amount of the original structure remained as the fire began to come under control.
A fire marshal has been called to investigate the fire, Sapp said, and he noted that his crews had spotted lightning in the area before the call came in.