Letter to the Editor: Change is just a vote away

Each day I review the news in amazement at the poisonous politics and lack of leadership by both political parties. Politicians do not have the majority of Americans’ best interests at heart. Local governments and the federal government are spending at an unsustainable rate. None of this makes any sense since we know our personal budgets don’t operate this way.

Despite this, probably 90 percent of incumbents will be returned to office this November. Sure, there will be some changes but even if the other party is successful, it will be business as usual, because the political system is broken. Politicians have no answers, even if they say they do.

The answer is personal responsibility. Our lives are the result of decisions we make from early on in life. Our attitude in school, family, careers shape us for our part in society: do we want to be givers or takers? We need the government for some things — national defense, national weather service, border protection — but we don’t need the government to be our mom and dad. The entitlement programs this government is putting together conflict with the personal responsibility we all should be taking.

It’s time for this nation to turn back to God, but our leaders push us in the opposite direction. Look at the change in attitude since John Kennedy said in 1961, “The rights of man come not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.”

How do we get Congress to pay attention to us? I don’t think we can, with the existing team in place. We must become Congress. How do we do this? The non-partisan, grassroots initiative of GOOOH (GOOOH.com) has the answer.

Jerry Francis

Marco Island

© 2010 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

You must be a Glenn Beck fan. If not, I recommend you attend the 8.28 Honor America Rally in Washington DC this Saturday. I think some folks are going to show up.

Anticipate a collection of Americans that the main stream media claim as racists, right wing extremist, Tea Party members that in total amount to a hill of beans. Really? An in depth journalistic analysis?

I hope I did not raise the ire of Beck haters who claim Beck is a hater himself.

Fossil writes:

ajm: I agree Glen Beck is not a hater. He is a rodeo clown that is selling gold coins at the mall. What a guy. A true American. Beck is a snake oil salesman, he sells populism, racism, and any other ism that is hiding in the darkest corner of your core. He has a product and no matter how disruptive and devisive it may be, he has the right to sell it. In the eyes of a liberarian, that's not a bad thing. That's a patriotic business practice. It may even be considered to be a public service. Beck may fool all the people all the time and deceive you till you give him your money. It is his right to earn a living, that's what he does. It's all in the Constitution, somewhere. If it's not, a libertarian will claim it should be. The honor America Rally, is a circus performance to advance Beck's career and you will pay him for the privelege to participate. In return Beck will stroke the worst in you. That's all he really promises. Isn't that what all politicians do?

Fossil writes:

Jerry, "..governments are spending at an unsustainable rate...we know our personal budgets don’t operate this way." Do you have a mortgage? Are you still paying off an educational loan? Did you finance your new car? boat? Do you have a home equity loan? Are you carrying a significant balance on your credit cards? Financed your daughter's wedding or her education? Don't feel bad. Most Americans are in the same boat you are. Alexander Hamilton proposed to the U.S. Congress that our country should function based upon future revenue and expectations of growth. The Government budget is based on estimates and projections not on actual debt, expenditures or revenues. That's right,it's patriotic to be in debt. It is what our founding father's intended. Debt is what makes us strong. We are all indentured servants and the debt we carry ensures we will work and be productive. Think of all the jobs required to manage our personal debt. It is our productivity that allows us to be the greatest consumers on the planet. Our need for goods and services is what makes our country such a good investment and strong. The Congress uses our Social Security premiums as collateral to fight wars and pay down the debt. If we paid for everything in cash and only when we could afford to pay the whole amount down, we would be happy, we would feel we won the lottery and stop working. That's why the citizens of some nations are willing to pay 50% of their income for social benefits. They would rather be content then have material wealth. Debt has value and is not a bad thing. It represents leverage and is motivational. Debt is how we buy products. Debt is how banks make their money. Debt is how a business starts up. Debt is what makes jobs. The government forgives your debt when you go bankrupt. It wants you back on the debtors roles so that you become productive again and pay your taxes. That's why employers hate social security and employer contributions to good retirement plans. Old and sick people do not contribute to the wealth of those who hire us,they just live and consume little. Even the top 2% maintain debt. The difference between them and the rest of us is that they don't have to pay the same revenue propotionally that we do. That's because they have convinced us that the more money they make, the more money they have to hire us. So we give them a break. The truth is that when they invest in new developments or a business they too acquire debt. Rarely do they use their own money as the cash coud not be used to reduce the revenues they must pay on their profits. That would be idiotic and non-productive. Dick Chaney tried to explain this whole system but the Democrats wouldn't listen to him. Now the Republicans are using our debt to claim the Democrats are sending us to the poor house. The truth is borrowning money makes us stronger, not weaker. It's the American way and for most of us, our house is owned by the bank.

jwputnam writes:

Boy, you REALLY need to read "Atlas Shrugged"!

There is no greater security in my life than being 100% debt free. None.

Fossil writes:

John, I don't need a book to tell me that I am fortunate (or how to be happy). I too enjoy and am grateful for what I have. I worked for 30 years, saved my money, bought only what I could afford, have zero debt and I don't have to work. Nor do I want too. I'm just letting Jerry know that he is NOT speaking for the majority of us. Most people are struggling right now because they borrowed more than they could afford, invested in the stock market and believed they were being responsible. We are a very small minority my friend.

in response to Fossil:

I guess his History Friday series is a claim to extent another ism. Is historyism a word that is hiding in the darkest corner of my core?

I guess his claim to do your own independent research, along with his recommended reading list is a product to be avoided.

Here is something to chew on. Check out the National Education Association (NEA) site of recommended reading.

I would have expected perhaps a list of periodicals, books and pamphlets that would assist educators on educating school children. But lo and behold, I see Saul Alinksy's "Reveille for Radicals" and "Rules for Radicals". How does that help educating children? I may have missed something in my review.

And here is their vision and mission:

I am confused, are professional educators best served by activism or development of public educated school children?

It is amazing what you find searching the internet for information.

Well you know me, I get all my information from a television clown. I miss Bozo, when I was younger, although I will admit Bozo was not as scary as Beck.

LOL

Fossil writes:

Watched and listened to your boy while he hosted his rally this weekend. The performance confirmed everything I wrote previously about Glen Beck. He is an entertainer enjoying his moment as a celebraty. Now he is trying his hand at preaching. Why is it that he constantly complains about the Government making choices for us, yet he has no problem telling us what we should be doing (oh, and he asks for money too)? Why should we listen to him?

MIOCENE (Inactive) writes:

Jerry:

If our rights are "GOD GIVEN"; then why wasn't a Declaration of Independence included when the Bible was written?
Why is there no Bill of Rights in the Bible?
Why isn't the concept of DEMOCRACY mentioned in the Bible?

-And if these things ARE in there; then why didn't THE CLERGY (or the prophets) discover them and give us our "GOD GIVEN RIGHTS" two thousand years ago?

Why didn't Democracy spring from the VATICAN; centuries before the Enlightenment?

If our rights come from GOD; then GOD would have given these rights to all people world wide from the time of Moses.

How come there was only ONE clergy member at the Constitutional Convention and at the signing of the Declaration of Independence?

There is no evidence that the rights we enjoy came from a god.

You see:
The rights we enjoy today came from Ancient polytheistic pagan Greeks; rediscovered during the Enlightenment by Deists and Atheists. Not to the tyranny of Medieval Christianity; Christianity which is in direct opposition to the concept of Democracy.

GOD had his chance; that’s why the Holy Alliances of the Middle ages had to be overthrown; to get RID of god; and get god OUT of government.

-And we are all better off for it.

MIOCENE

MIOCENE (Inactive) writes:

in response to ajm3s:

Glen Beck is nothing more then a Preacher. He talks for hours and says nothing.

Beck uses words like God, honor, patriotism and values.
These are the same words used by Adolph Hitler in 1933. They are empty words which mean all things to all men. Beware of the people who use them.

What GLEN BECK does is 'HOPSCOTCH' through history, landing where he chooses to land, in an attempt to form a 'Causal Relationship' among 'happenings' as if each event occurred in a vacuum.

He eliminates variables which he chooses to ignore, depriving his listeners of the 'whole truth‘.

Beck talks of Thomas Paine as the Blasting Cap for the American Revolution, yet Beck ignores Paine's work, "The Age of Reason" where Paine exposes the so-called three great religions for the superstitious rubbish that they are.

The kind of people who listen to Beck are the ones who have already reached their conclusions; and are searching for someone to reinforce what they have already been indoctrinated into believing; most often during childhood.

Beck lives in a fantasy world of a utopia consisting of unbridled capitalism and the power of prayer.

MIOCENE