Marco Island code board stays together, for now

Boss Hogg won’t be issuing traffic tickets or changing code compliance cases, Marco Island Council decided Monday.

Supporting the idea of disbanding Marco Island’s Code Enforcement Board was the prospect of having traffic infractions handled by a special magistrate.

“I don’t think Marco Island should become Hazzard County with a Boss Hogg” said councilman Wayne Waldack, referring to Dukes of Hazzard, a TV show that aired in the early 80s.

Police officers won’t be issuing more tickets to make money, said Marco Island Police Department Chief Thom Carr.

It won’t become a small town with a money-making speed trap and its own judge, he said.

Council decided, by taking no action following the discussion, to leave the seven-member code enforcement board in tact with traffic infractions to be determined by a Collier County judge.

That decision means the fees will continue to be collected by the Collier County Clerk of Court.

Currently, costs of sending officers to Naples to enforce tickets often exceeds the amount collected, Carr said.

“That’s the catch 22 we’re in,” he said.

A magistrate can be hired to handle either traffic infractions or code cases, but Carr said there wouldn’t be enough work to warrant that.

Code members’ perceived bias in some code cases caused Frank Recker, chairman of city council, to recommend disbanding and replacing the board, Recker said.

Dick Adams, chairman of the code board said the days of an approach of “quasi-punishment are ancient history.”

Nonetheless, councilman Chuck Kiester was among those concerned the code board was not following a new philosophy of being less punitive.

Kiester’s nominee to the board, Carol Glassman, was not following his wishes or direction given by City Manager Jim Riviere to be friendlier to violators, Kiester said.

So, Kiester sent her an e-mail requesting she resign.

However, council voted to keep Glassman on the board with councilmen Jerry Gibson, Bill Trotter, Larry Magel and Wayne Waldack.

In addition to Glassman not fulfilling obligations held by Kiester and the city, Kiester said his preference for her removal was evident during the most recent code board meeting. At that Nov. 9 meeting, Glassman was among three others who voted to adjourn early following a presentation by Sgt. Jim Hassig. He announced that fewer code cases were coming to the board due to orders from Riviere. This was part of the friendly philosophy, Hassig said.

Code board member Tarik Ayasun found the announcement troubling.

“I have a tendency right now to say I’ll probably make a motion to adjourn the meeting and go home because we have no use here as of this moment,” Ayasun said.

Recker said the code board should have no involvement with setting policies or which cases come before the board, when or why.

“They have no right to know what’s in the pipeline,” Recker said.

Batte garnered some nods of agreement among members when he said it was up to council to inform the code board what was expected and to provide training.

Trotter said he was more troubled about how the proposal to disband the board and replace it had gotten so far along that the city attorney was paid to write a new ordinance despite council not having a chance to discuss it.

“It disturbs me,” Trotter said of the $7,000 expense.

In other business council:

■ Agreed to hold an executive session, which is a meeting closed to the public with transcripts available after the cases are concluded, to discuss two pending lawsuits filed by the Conservancy of Southwest Florida regarding alleged violations in Key Marco during a meeting to be scheduled Jan. 3.

■ Tabled a discussion on changing utility rates until Jan. 3.

■ Tabled a discussion of increasing several user fees until April 18.

© 2010 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Related Topics

liberator100 writes:

tnjessen writes:

Kudos to the board for having backbone to keep Carol Glassman. I was stunned to read that coucilman Kiester asked for her resignation via newspaper. Kiester may have been allowed to ask for the resignation but to do it the way he did was simply wrong. No one should ever be treated in this way ESPECIALLY a volunteer. Even an employer would talk with the person beforehand and most would give someone another chance.

With all that said I still can't figure out how this poor woman could be judged & convicted by her vote to adjourn. It was quite clear that there is little to no communication between the city and the board. The board was obviously surprised and confused by the information they received in the 11/9 meeting. The disbanding of the board was also a surprise. Then $7,000 is spent on the atty for what most new nothing about. Simply inexcusable.

Enough spending!

New resident

1adam12 (Inactive) writes:

Kiester's response to the vote. Wait till it's your turn! What a child. He didn't get his way so the child cried. I was there and almost fell off my chair. Every meeting is a bigger joke. WOW!

GorgonZola writes:

We could not believe what we were seeing and thought perhaps our satellite had connected us to another planet. How can such mean and nasty people run a city -- while accusing their code board of having bad attitudes - what, no mirror handy? Maybe they think they should control the poor souls they appoint -- but how about councilors serving at OUR pleasure - we're the poor dumb sods who put them there! Since Forcht lost out, has any one of them cared enough to ask us how he should vote on an issue? Oh me oh my - I do believe they are mind readers who use their own discretion. You mean their appointees should not? In the middle of a vote at a meeting should they make a phone call to find out what they should do? We'd like a list of all the naughty votes out there so we can really know what that board member dared to do that got so much attention. Why weren't the others told to resign?
Love that Jerry Gibson - he knows how to treat a human being with dignity and do unto others. Good man!

liberator100 writes:

Klabberyapper: Unfortunately, I don't have any medals from WWI or WWII, however if I had them, I would polish them daily and wear them proudly.
Yes, Klabberyapper, America is with me and I am with America. And that makes me very proud.

waverunner writes:

Oh no! Someone run and get some Metamusil for Yoda, he's backed up again!

JohninMarco writes:

What a great idea to have a code board. Angry old residents punishing citizens and sending all the money to Collier Co. Makes a lot of sense to me.

JohninMarco writes:

in response to Klabautermann:

Unlike you, I read the story.

waverunner writes:

in response to islandeye1#236971:

A rambling old fool he is!

from Marco Island Code of Ordinances Article II. Code Enforcement Board.

Sec. 14-35. Membership; compensation of members; appointment and term of members; vacancies.

(c) The appointment of members to the enforcement board shall be made on the basis of experience or interest in the fields of zoning and building control, or other areas as are relevant to the codes or ordinances of the city, which are to be enforced. The membership of the enforcement board shall, whenever possible, include, but not be limited to, an architect, a businessperson, an engineer, a general contractor, a subcontractor and a realtor.

Does the Council need to bring the Code Board in front of the Code Board for violation of the Code of Ordinance. Where do we go from here? Or maybe the suggestion of a Magistrate can resolve the situation.

I believe Council uncovered a faux pas. Or are the codes to be "dismissed" for lack of boldness.

And did you hear the comments of Mr. Granda with regard to how he communicated with the now removed Mr. Olmstead with regard to pre hearing discussions as to what case would be brought before the quasi-judicial board. I think Mr. Granda used the expression, that he had to play the role of the heavy.

Time stamp: 4:30

Did I witness testimony of lack of proper judicial proceeding or is it quasi-judicial proceeding? And Tweedy Bird replies: "I think I did, I did, I did" Yes, it seemed like a cartoon was playing out in front of council. But it apparently did not spur any further discussion because from my perspective it hints of impropriety or incompetence.

Credibility matters so I suggest that the Board Members not claim that they do not know the direction the city is embarking on. "They were not informed" was the quote, I believe.

Please, help us. We know they are all good people, but sometimes good people do intentional or unintentional harm to those that come before them when they are not aware of their responsibilities, and setting policy is NOT their responsibility.

RayPray writes:

"liberator100 writes:

"...I don't have any medals from WWI or WWII...."

Small suprise here.

"America is with me...that makes me very proud."

Wow, such thinking requires psychiatric intervention.

Even your hero Wonder boy Obama lacks this degree of hubris!

liberator100 writes:

raypray:
Here is my exact blog in case it did not get through your thick head!
"
..."

And, Obama is NOT my hero; he never was and never will be. Maybe he's yours?

RayPray writes:

"Liberator100 writes:

And, Obama is...my hero; he never was...yours?"

Obama has morphed from Chicago Community Organizer to pint-size Alexander the Great wannabe, hopping around the hills of Afghanistan, showing this odd, quasi-homoerotic interest in the corrupt Karzai Klan....

Your posts have brown-nosed Obama all the way in this sorry Asian exploit.

You have been Obama's twin brother in this and class warfare fantasy.

If you and Obama want to squander troops and treasure in this pointless exercise, why don't you double up on your arthritis meds and take off yourself to fight, rather than send innocent young service people?

marcosandflea writes:

The clear intent by Dr. Recker and the honest forces on the island is to expunge the city of the Tarik Assyrum element. Tarik and his MM goon friends have destroyed the island. The code board should stay in place we do not need a magistrate and this can be done by disinfecting all city functions of the Tarik types. We know it wont happen as long as the MM continue to have the Trotter Gibon Walduck and now Magel puppets on the council.

RayPray writes:

"Tarik and his friends have destroyed the island."

Can you elaborate on this charge?

marcosandflea writes:

RayPray writes:

To: marcosandflea

"Destroyed the island thus: $250,000,000 debt. Class warfare from different rates. Asbestos contamination. Violation of the Clean Water Act. Destroying marine habitat. Foreclosure rates higher than anywhere else. Middle class and family flight. Highest tax rates anywhere in Florida except 2 areas. Ridiculing people with names and slurs that do not agree with them. Naming a building after a liar and thug. Need any more?"

This is a sound compilation.

But what does Tarik have to do with this I was wondering?

marcosandflea writes:

Ray, Instead of me doing your research, why do you not take the time to read the documents and emails that have been publicly disclosed by Foster and Sanchez and McMuffin? Those documents are still out there and see how Tarik and his MM friends have done all of the things stated AND MORE. Do your own research. By the way, if you are NOT Ray Beaufart (you know, the Ray that betrayed Neylon and Hall by being in the inner circle of the recall effort and telling everything to his neighbor Moss), do you know if he is still alive?