Flash mob at Coastland Center
Raw clip of students singing in food ...
Flash mob at Coastland Center part 2
Second clip of surprise singing at mall
1900 Tamiami Trail North, Naples, FL
NAPLES — The shoppers at the Coastland mall were treated to an impromptu Christmas serenade from a flash mob on Sunday afternoon.
The sounds of Handel’s "Hallelujah Chorus" filled the food court at 4 p.m. courtesy of the Seacrest Country Day School choir.
Seacrest choir director Jodie DeSalvo came up with the idea for the stunt after seeing a similar flash mob singing at a Philadelphia-area mall on a YouTube video.
“The video inspired me to do something here,” DeSalvo said. “The kids were a little nervous at first and worried about getting in trouble. I told them if we get in trouble, I will be the one who will be getting arrested.”
About 45 high school students from Seacrest and several members of the Unity Church of Naples walked into the mall without any announcement or invitation to spread the message of Christmas. No one was arrested.
Seacrest junior Rikki Townsend said it was interesting to see the reaction of the people, who were texting, eating and oblivious to what was about to happen, when the group started singing from different locations of the food court.
“Singing bonds the kids together,” said DeSalvo. “And when you break out into song in the middle of a mall, it brings people together. People get busy, shopping and getting errands accomplished, and they sometimes forget about the true meaning of the season. Hopefully we reminded them of it.”
The crowd cheered in appreciation.
“The applause at the end were amazing,” Townsend said. “It makes all of the hard work worthwhile. I want to do it again.”
- Check out this list of restaurants open on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day in Naples
- David Sedaris play "The Santaland Diaries" offers a stocking full of goodies in Fort Myers
- Looking for something to do? Search our list of Holiday events
- Submit your holiday events to our interactive calendar
- Going out this holiday season? Share your photos from all the events around town with us!
- Wish Lists: Local charities offer up their wish lists to the community
- Naples Bay Christmas Boat Parade
- Your Photos: Naples Bay Christmas Boat Parade
- 2010 Bonita Springs Holiday Boat Parade
- Isles of Capri Holiday Boat Parade 2010
- Marco Island's Joy of Giving 2010
- Marco Island Christmas Street Parade 2010
- Christmas Walk and Avenue of Lights on Fifth Avenue South
- Flesher Farm Christmas display 2010
- Third Street South Festival of Lights
- Your Photos: Third Street South Festival of Lights
- Bayfront Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony
- Two-story gingerbread house at The Ritz-Carlton