A taste of food at the Collier County Fair
Funnel cakes, donut burgers, chocolate bananas and ...
Southwest Florida’s winter “season” is in full swing and this coming weekend (Feb. 5-7, 2010) will be a busy one from the annual seafood festival in Everglades City to supercars on Fifth Avenue South to a German Fest to a variety of farmer markets and who can forget that the Super Bowl is being played in Miami or that the Collier County Fair opens this week.
Seafood festival – Friday through Sunday
The 37th Everglades Seafood Festival begins Friday and runs through Sunday (11 a.m. to 9 p.m. each day). Check it out at Broadway at Town Center in Everglades City. It has free admission. For details click the link above or call 695-4100. The festival’s Web site says it will have “over 100 vendors offering a wide variety of great seafood. Fresh fish, stone crabs, shrimp, catfish, fish chowder, lobster, blue crabs, and much more.” Its published entertainment schedule includes:
Friday: Opening night; food, midway open; and local entertainment.
Saturday: John Anderson, Blackwater, Down South Rockers and Mitch and The Boys.
Sunday: Confederate Railroad, Blackwater, Alcor and Parker.
Cars on Fifth -- Saturday
If you like cars, come to the latest “Cars on Fifth” show Saturday, Feb. 6, 2010, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. More than 400 cars are expected to be on display along Fifth Avenue South in Naples. The event is hosted by the Ferrari Club of Naples and supercars, classics, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Fords, Alfas, Bentley, Porsche, and many more will be on display. Visitors will be asked to make a $5 donation upon entry to benefit the Children with Special Needs Fund.
Other car events include:
* Wings and Wheels, race cars, aircraft displays and children’s activities, 8 a.m. through 4 p.m. Saturday, Immokalee Regional Airport, 165 Airpark Blvd., Immokalee. 657-9003 or 657-3237.
* Antique car show, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Edison & Ford Winter Estates, 2350 McGregor Blvd., Fort Myers. Free, members; $5, others. (239) 334-7419.
Collier County Fair
The 34th annual fair kicks off Thursday, Feb. 4, 2010, and runs through Feb. 14. Click here for last week's Showcase story about the fair. From the announcement by the fair’s board: “The Collier County Fair midway ride company will again be Reithoffer Shows. We hope you’ll enjoy a wide array of rides and games. This year our theme will focus on family traditions. We are confident that you’ll enjoy shows such as: Kachunga and the Alligator Show, Jason Hudy—Magic and Illusion, Grandpa Crachett, Kids Pedal Tractor Pull, Petting Zoo, pony rides, wrestling, etc and much more. The Livestock Pavilion proudly exhibits the premium Grand Champions and Reserve Champions in each livestock category. The Family Living categories feature the best accomplishments of individual’s talents throughout Collier County. Our Main Stage will feature our County’s best local talent. Check all the schedules by clicking here or going to http://www.colliercountyfair.com/
The Super Bowl
The National Football League’s championship game will be played Sunday in Miami. If you are headed over for the game, the Collier County Sheriff’s Office suggests as a safety measure that you use Interstate 75 and not U.S. 41 because of the traffic expected Sunday for the Everglades Seafood Festival.
One of numerous cultural themed events across Southwest Florida, the German Fest offers games, activities for children, German food, German music and dancing, 11 a.m. through 5 p.m. Saturday, Our Savior Lutheran Church, 1955 Curling Ave. (behind Sam’s Club and just east of Airport-Pulling Road), Naples. $7, adults; $3, children; free, children two and under. 597-4091.
“The Pagan Potheads Comedy Tour! Featuring The Cast from ‘Bubba The Love Sponge’” offers shows at 9 p.m. and 10:45 p.m. on Saturday at Captain Brien’s Off the Hook Comedy Club, 599 S. Collier Blvd., Marco Island. $20. 389-6900.
The market season is at its peak. Here is a list:
* Farmer’s Market, 7 a.m.-noon Saturday through April (closed March 13) the Promenade at Bonita Bay, 26841 S. Bay Drive, Bonita Springs.
* Third Street Farmer’s Market, 7:30-11:30 a.m. Saturday, Tommy Bahama parking lot, 1220 Third St. S., Naples. Free admission. 649-6707.
* Farmer’s Market, 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, North Naples United Methodist Church, 6000 Goodlette-Frank Road, Naples.
* Farmer’s Market at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays through April, 3901 Davis Blvd., Naples. 643-10197.
* Farmer’s Market, with arts, crafts and produce, 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays through April, Battista Farms, 19490 U.S. 41 S., Fort Myers. 267-1133
* North Naples Green Market, 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, the Collection at Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt Beach Road and Airport-Pulling Road. Free admission. 249-9480.
* Marco Island Farmer’s Market, 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Lutheran Church, 525 N. Collier Blvd., Marco Island. 249-0431.
* Friendly Farmer’s Market, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday, Audubon Plaza, 15495 U.S. 41 N., Naples. (954) 599-5551.