Here is this week's "FYI ... food" column:
Wine tasting and sunset sail
Sunset cruises and wine tastings are every Friday at Cocohatchee Nature Adventures, 12345 U.S. 41 N., Naples. Reservations are required by 4 p.m. on Thursdays at 592-1200. $46.
Cooking class at Whole Foods
The following classes are at Whole Foods Market, 9101 Strada Place, Naples with required pre-registration at www.acteva.com/LifestyleCenter or in person at the store:
* Fleming’s wine and dine, create a three-course meal with chef John Cruz, 6 p.m. today, $10.
* Fun with sushi for kids 5-15, 11 a.m. Saturday. Free.
* Real meals with Real Seafood Co., healthy seafood meals, 6 p.m. Monday. $15.
* Lean mean greens and grains, 6 p.m. Jan. 13. Free.
Roy’s class and luncheon
* Roy’s Downtown Naples is offering cooking class and three-course luncheon paired with wine at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, 475 Bayfront Place, Naples. $39. Reservations and information: 261-1416
Classes at the Good Life
The following will be held at the Good Life, the Collection at Vanderbilt, 2355 Vanderbilt Beach Road, Naples:
* Shelly Connors will be teaching how to make appetizers from 6 to 8 p.m. Jan. 21 or Moroccan cooking from 6 to 8 p.m. Jan. 26. Both classes are $50 each. Complimentary wine and beverages will be served. Information and registration: 514-4663
* Sample some of Bobbie Thompson’s chocolate desserts from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 23 and watch her demonstration from noon to 12:30 p.m.
* Caffe dell’Amore will host a five-course wine dinner with wines from the Veneto region of Italy at 7 p.m. Monday at 1400 Gulf Shore Blvd. N., Naples. $75. Information and reservations: 261-1389
* Chef Kris Zook, executive chef of Doc Ford’s Rum Bar and Grill Restaurant Company on Sanibel Island, will present a four-course wine dinner at Bacchus from 6 to 10 p.m. Monday at 13499 U.S. 41 S., Fort Myers. The dinner is $60 per person. Information and reservations: (239) 437-8676
* Ciao Ristorante will host “One Night In Tuscany,” a wine dinner with Brunello Wines, on Wednesday at 385 Fourth Ave. S., Naples. $90, reservations required. Information: 263-3889
String of Pearls, a tasting of whites, roses and reds form the Chateau Ste. Michelle Portfolio will be held from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Jan. 13 at Tony’s Off Third, 1300 Third St. S., Naples. $15, includes a $10 coupon toward a purchase of a featured wine or dinner that evening at Ridgway Bar & Grill. Reservations are requested. Information and reservations: 262-5500
Afternoon with a vintner
M Waterfront Grille offers an afternoon with vintner Jeff Gargiulo starting with a reception at 1 p.m. and a three-course lunch at 1:30 p.m. Jan. 15. The restaurant is at Venetian Village, 4300 Gulf Shore Blvd. N., Naples. $59. Information and reservations: 263-4421
The Real Seafood Company has happy hour from 4 to 7 p.m. daily with half price appetizers, oysters and soups and $1 off draft beer and glasses of house wine. 8960 Fontana Del Sol Way, Naples. Information: 591-3523
Purchase $500 or more in gift cards to the Capital Grille and receive 10 percent in gift cards plus a Michelangelo waiter’s rosewood corkscrew. The restaurant is at 9005 Mercato Drive, Naples. Information: 254-0640
Dinner for two
Cafe Luna is offering two dinners and one bottle of wine for $29.99 from noon to close daily. The restaurant is at 467 Fifth Ave. S., Naples. Information: 213-2212
Handhelds and cell phones
Pollo Tropical is introducing ”handheld” sandwiches and wraps on Monday. Anyone bringing in an old cell phone will be given two handhelds for free. The phones will be donated to the Women in Distress organization. The restaurant is at 3777 U.S. 41 E., Naples. Information; 417-2708
Andrew Knowlton, restaurant editor of Bon Appetit Magazine, predicts the following restaurant food trends for 2010: The dish of the year is meatballs because they are affordable and easy to make. New Austrian cuisine is the cuisine of the year — think soft pretzels and beer and bright flavors. Ingredient of the year is sriracha, a chilies-based hot sauce. Desserts of the year are all American comforts that you remember your grandmother making—Brown Betty, bread pudding, coconut cake and more.
* Submit a photo of you and a Mrs. Butterworth’s syrup bottle somewhere in the world through Feb. 28 and you may be the winner of $1,000. Go to www.mrsbutterworthsyrup.com/whereismrsbutterworth/
* Submit a sentence that completes the phrase “Now That’s A Bagel That...” along with a photo that illustrates what the Lender’s Bagel brand brought to your family’s life through March 31. Go to www.lenderbagels.com and click on the “Now That’s a Bagel That...” banner. The grand prize is $1,000 and a year’s supply of Lender’s Bagels.
Doug Rodriguez has opened D. Rodriguez Cuba at the Astor Hotel, 956 Washington Ave., South Beach. Try funky tapas, arroz imperial, crispy skirt steak, mojito’s and more at the James Beard Award-winning Cuban chef’s new place. Information: (305) 673-3763
Hard to find brews
If you want to visit a place that has hard to find brews visit Cerveza, 5835 Sunset Drive, South Miami. The new bar has more than 200 selections and if you don’t like beer you can get different types of ciders. Information: (305) 397-8125
Key West Food and Wine Festival
Key West’s food and wine festival will be from Jan. 28-31 starting with a “barefoot party” at 5 p.m. Jan. 28 at the Southernmost Beach Cafe, 1319 Duval St. A shrimp boil is slated for noon Jan. 30 at the Hogfish Bar & Grill, 6810 Front St., Stock Island and coconut craziness will happen at 1 p.m. Jan. 30 at the Blue Heaven Restaurant, 729 Thomas St. Restaurants, bars, galleries and boutiques will have food and wine tastings in the late afternoon and evening on Jan. 30. Information and festival schedule at www.keywewstfoodandwinefestival.com
Culinary road trip
Visit www.foodsacrossamerica.com and search the country’s legendary foods that can be delivered to your home.
For your information
Clean fruit stains off your fingers with white vinegar.
Deadline for FYI is 10 a.m. Thursday. E-mail to email@example.com or mail to Sheila Mesulam, Naples Daily News, 1100 Immokalee Road, Naples, FL 34110. All briefs are printed on a space-available basis. Connect with Sheila Mesulam at www.naplesnews.com/staff/sheila_mesulam