Guest column: Tract K, a Marco eagle sanctuary

From left: Vera Gibbons, Gerry Gibbons, Carita Paret, Dr. Gerald Swiacki, Harold Boston; standing are Linda Turner and Linda Boston. Not pictured: Carl Way,  spokesperson.

From left: Vera Gibbons, Gerry Gibbons, Carita Paret, Dr. Gerald Swiacki, Harold Boston; standing are Linda Turner and Linda Boston. Not pictured: Carl Way, spokesperson.

Tract K is the last undeveloped residential parcel of land, and many concerned residents want it preserved. Citizens supporting a Marco Eagle Sanctuary are in agreement with the 2010 MICA survey and suggest the community use be for a planned park.

To this end, these citizens are developing plans to keep this parcel of land as a green park, and to protect a pair of bald eagles who have maintained an active nest on Tract K for the past three years. Bald eagles are a protected species in the State of Florida and the United States. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission restricts land altering activity within 330’ of an active bald eagle nest.

The Marco Eagle Sanctuary would be a tranquil, green environment for the bald eagle nest surrounded by several existing majestic trees. The city’s approved bike paths already connect Veterans Park to Tigertail Beach. Winding pathways through the Marco Eagle Sanctuary could be incorporated as part of this route. Park benches, butterfly gardens, native flower and plant species would create additional beauty for all residents, visitors, and nature enthusiasts to enjoy. In addition, this park would serve as an educational site for students to study nature and wildlife.

© 2010 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Joe_Btfsplk writes:

This is an excellent use for this parcel. We need a place for rest in this area of the island. Plenty of shade would be nice. Track K is not suited for a school as there is just not enough room. The student busing all around the island to access other venues would be a real mess. BRAVO. The eagles are here already and do not seem to want to leave.

Ned269 writes:

How many parks does this little Island need?
I'm for preserving the eagles,nature and the like But, I think there is a underlying motive from the people behind this endeavour to keep an empty lot around them.
I don't know about the deed for tract K but EVERY real estate map (new and old) I have seen has Tract K listed as "a future school site".I can't speak for anyone else but, I would have taken that into consideration before I thought about purchasing a house in that area.

JRWE5270 writes:

The Collier school district has made it abundantly clear that it has no use for Tract K as a school site and wouldn't mind selling it. I believe that releases Marco from any restriction of purpose. Those who think that only the immediate residents would be affected by the behemoth that is being planned should consider: All 600 students driving or being bussed on or off the island to get to extracurricular and sports activities at Lely; add'l traffic and general bustle from teachers, maintenance workers, school nurses, administrators, vendors and so on; lunchtime and after-school speeding around town. Pavement everywhere and lights on until 10 p.m. How many parks do we need? My answer is we need as many as we can squeeze into this gem of an island. Put native plantings there and let it be a botanical study area for local students. Maybe the Naples Botanic Garden would lend a hand.

Joe_Btfsplk writes:

A good use for the park would be for a Xeriscape demonstration site for public viewing. This is a type of landscaping that has essentially zero water use and very little maintenance. This type of landscaping should be adopted throughout Marco Island.

costarica (Inactive) writes:

in response to Ned269:

How many parks does this little Island need?

Ned269
I completely agree with you Ned269. Ditto on all your comments!

We don't need another park without a parking area for people to actually use it. This park would only benefit the few within walking distance to Tract K.

Has anyone noticed all the no trespassing signs posted by Collier County School District surrounding Tract K?

Not only has Tract K been listed on real estate maps as "a future school site" but anyone walking to Tract K will see numerous School District signs posted all around the land. Another notice to all that this property is owned by the school district, leading to the conclusion of a school being built there in the future.

Marco98,

Read the deed of the property. The map is an abreviation written by some public employee and does not contain the whole story. That being said, I bet you used Cliff Notes for your school term papers.

Ned269 writes:

Yeah, the heck with the future of the younger generations of Marco. Let's make a park so the eagle and the elderly citizens that chose to move next to a "possible" school site will not be disturbed.
By the way, Brillo you may want to check your spelling before you attempt to insult someone.

Ned269 writes:

I didn't see anyone standing up for the eagles that nests off Jamaica on the golf course when they built a house "right" under their nest last year. And at present they are doing sewer work well within 300 yards of this nest which is very noisy.

costarica (Inactive) writes:

in response to Brillo:

Marco98,

Brillo:
Ouch, now I understand your log in name of Brillo, meaning a scouring pad, rough and abrasive.

So you feel the need to criticize "some" public employee who made a map stating future school site for Tract K.

You need to criticize Cliff Notes-out of the blue.

Who is next on your agenda to criticize? Maybe the Collier County School District for putting no trespassing signs around their Tract K future school site. Will you criticize the Collier County School website that includes Tract K as a future school site along with their other future school sites?

I certainly understand your log in name of Brillo.

P.S. I have read the deed of the property.

Have a great day!

1Paradiselost writes:

Ned269 ..... When it comes to the STRP the city does not care what you, the eagles or EPA think. They have to "give you the pipe" because they over paid for the water company. Currently we as a city hold the note for 250 million dollars plus interest. The drinking water here is like going to the gas station, you pay by the gallon. The city goes forward and if they are fined because of some law they don't like, they just pay the fines with the taxpayers money. As far as green space, today builders are required by most cities and towns to have 1 acre for every 16 homes/lots they build. Using that requirement, Marco should have 750 acres of green space/parks based on 12,000 lots for homes. In the future try winning your arguments with facts rather than scrutnizing someone's spelling. You sound like the overgrown inmature bully on a playground. If this was a decent newspaper it would have spell check like other newspapers do!

To you Marco 98 ... If you read the deed, where is paragraph # 4 on the first page of the deed is concerning Track K? There's nothing written concerning "Track K" on the deed becoming a school! Please have facts, not BS!
If you knew anything about the law the "No Trespassing" signs are on the property (Track K) are due to insurance liability requirements. It has nothing to do with a school, as none exists. It's to keep people like you from calling Morgan & Morgan off the property!

in response to costarica:

Brillo:

You need to criticize Cliff Notes-out of the blue.

I certainly understand your log in name of Brillo.

P.S. I have read the deed of the property.

Have a great day!

Marco 98,
Thank you for proving my point! Don't concern your self with the facts. Just keep on stating incorrect information and maybe someone will believe what you have to say.
Yes, brillo does a great job of cleaning up where others make a mess.

in response to Ned269:

Ned,
Thank you ever so much for your kindness and concern with my typo in abbreviation. I would like to pass that kindness on and suggest that you use "grammar check" before posting in the future.

here_is_my2cents writes:

Parks are a wonderful resource for a community, but children are a valuable resource for a country! I see many people, particularly those that have winter homes here on Marco and "true homes" elsewhere being less concerned about the welfare of our children here. I would like nothing more than to be able to have my children stay on Marco for school when they reach their teenage years! I see so many high school students now enduring long days because of the added commute to and from Naples just to attend school and extra curricular activities. When fighting for the rights of bald eagles, please consider the rights of our children and what this could mean to them.

alanint writes:

Most of the people commenting are not against a high school on Marco Island. What we are against is this Discovery Group's tactics of rejecting what to my count is 3 other proposed sites on Marco to date. All of them much more than adequate for the REAL, REALISTIC needs of a local high school in favor of destroying a quiet neighborhood's only true green area and home to a threatened species. This has all been done in the pursuit of the PRESTIGE they believe this site would give the school over the other sites proposed and considered. So please, give the "It's all about the kids" rhetoric a rest.
It is no secret they waited until most winter residents had left before pulling this "bait and switch" to Tract K after putting the City through considerable effort and expense in preparing a proposal for the YMCA site. They hoped they could just slip this by most residents. Another issue that is galling is the group's arrogant and deceptive approach to this entire process. They have not been shy in bending facts and data to suit their needs nor have they had any issue with putting out assumptions and conjecture as "fact". One look at their website will confirm much of this.
I personally am not against a high school on Marco. I will not, however, stand by and let this group railroad this self-serving process through to the detriment of the immediate neighbors of Tract K. They also ignore the benefit to the entire island population that a well thought out park on the site would bring.
And by the way. I too have seen a copy of the Tract K Deed. Anybody who reads this as a definitive school site is clearly not fluent in the English language.
Let them go back to the YMCA site, which I understand really wanted the synergy a school next door would create, and we can all be friends again.

marco97 writes:

I'm not a rocket scientist but if I buy a house next to a large lot owned by the school board I don't think I would be surprised if someone wanted to build a school there.
I don't think tract K is the best location, maybe the City can put Veterans park on tract K and put the school were Veterans is planed.
It would impact a lot less homes and that seems to be the main complaint.

Brillo writes:

Why is Jane Watt saying things, such as what I have heard, that this is a done deal on one hand and then begging for people to show up at the Candidate's Forum on Wednesday to convice the potential new board candidates of her dream school?

Do parents really want to have their high school students, bused to athletics or other vital normal school activities in order to build this mini-school? The kids that I have asked have said no. A new site needs to be explored, one which can provide all of our students with the "complete" education they deserve. Don't you think?

There are many facts that are not clear, promises being made that may or not be possible. A high school could possibly be built but not under this very unfortunate series of events which has turned our citizens against each other in the way that this has.

Building a high school should be a community wide event, an event with pride, an event that shows concern for all those involved.

marco97 writes:

Brillo, I went to a high school with 2000 students and we did not have a football field, we used the towns field same with baseball and soccer. We had a golf team and we used a nearby golf course. The only time we were bused for sports was when we played an away game. My school was on a smaller piece of land then tract K. I think tract K can easily support a high school.

1Paradiselost writes:

Marco97.... In what city, and what's the name of the school you went to? 2000 students on 11 acres?

Marco97
Why should our kids have less than what would be available to them in the vast majority of high schools throughout the country? I do not think it is fair to them. If we are shooting for an outstanding educational system and environment why are we offering less. Do we really think that parents are going to come here for our educational facilities if they are rather limited? This is a pig in a poke, lipstick or not! Go around and ask students yourself what they want. I know we can't give kids everything they want, but, we are in too competitive a world to short change the kids because of a limited thought process. Our efforts could be put into making Lely the best high school in Florida and not take our students and funding away from them in order to bring them here to satisfy the dream of what would normally have been private school parent's. It is not fair to the educational system in Naples to do this.

My feeling is if you do not do it correctly then why bother doing it to begin with. If we, absolutely, need a school here then let us do it the best way that is possible, if that can not be done then the next best would be putting the efforts into Lely.

That is my opinion, for what it is worth.

marco97 writes:

Brillo, I don't know what you are referring to when you say are kids would have less then other schools. Are you talking about a football field and baseball on site? because if you are keep in mind that those two items are almost exclusively used by the male population of the school and even then only a few make the team. We have everything we need on this island for sports teams and there would be no need to bus the students. The Y has a pool, the City has Tennis, Football, Soccer and Baseball. I don't see how a school here would be missing anything sports wise. Your comment on private schools is wrong, most of the kids going to school here are from average working family's with a few exceptions.

Brillo writes:

I do not think that it matters, anymore, what I have an opinion about. People have taken up sides and the smoke being fanned is too much to be able to see clearly thru.

Most cities have Y's and all of the other facilities you refer to. A good/superior high school has the facilities as part of their set up and not having to be bused or car pooled to other venues. Also, who is going to pay for use of the public facilities, it that were to be the case? It would be tax dollars and I do not think anyone wants to discuss this issue at this point because it has been said that local tax dollars were not going to be used, or did I miss something along the line?

A high school student should have pride in his school and its total environment, an environment that offers more than just guest speakers. Anything less is not fair.

Our kids should have a school and its surroundings to call their own not a little piece here and a little piece there. I hope for hopes sake that enough bath rooms are considered in the plans, otherwise those at McDonalds or Mackle Park might have to do according to your logic. Where is the band going to meet, in the gazebo at Town Center?

I am not against a school, I am against it being limited on Tract K. A broader horizon must be considered. Yes, relating to some of the parents who initiated this whole thing. They saw something akin to a private school for their chidren who were not going to be bused 14 miles to Lely. Please don't fall for this.

Again, I will say if a school is built then it should have all that available for all the girls and boys attending in the same way it is for most schools that I have seen throughout our beautiful country.

alanint writes:

Also, does anybody REALLY believe there will be no profit motive in this group's offering of all these extracurricular "Discovery" programs to the kids? Although many charter schools are non profit they are usually managed by for profit groups. A judged recently stopped one such group in its tracks in Coral Gables, Florida

I for one reject giving valuable public land for free to a group that will indirectly make a profit off it.

marco97 writes:

in response to alanint:

The only reason you don't want a high school on tract K is because you own property near it.

in response to marco97:

Since when is it a crime in this country to want peace, quiet and the right to protect one's property? Don't start again with the whine that it is for the kids. If you were truly in it for the kids it would be for all of the kids including the disadvantaged at Lely. That being said, it is a mother's right and responsiblitly to try to do what is best for her offspring, but doing that best should not interfere with the right of quiet, peaceful enjoyment of their lives of others by her actions. What kind of lesson of societal respect would that be for your children?

marco97 writes:

No crime in wanting peace and quiet but when you buy property next to a lot owned by the school board don't complain if they decide to build a school.
The school would be for the same people who use Tommie Barfield and the middle school now which has many disadvantaged children, many from east Naples and a few from 6 l's farm.
Here is what I would tell my children, don't buy land next to property owned by the school board unless you want to live near the school someday.
We are not going to agree on this, you most likely do not have children in school on the Island that need to be bussed 20 miles a day and that's why I would like a school here.
I agree with you and do not think track K is the best spot but that's what the Mackle brothers decided when the gave it to the school board.

1Paradiselost writes:

Hey Marco97.. Were still waiting to know what schools you went to? I think you were a drop out and have been living off your parents will money. How can you say because someone has an opinion they live near Track K. How about this, we are all taxpayers. Today, Someone almost got killed on Collier Blvd. near track K. Wait until they put a traffic light in and have 1500 more cars a day. I like your idea about not needing busing and the students can walk to the 'Y". Best part of that idea is having 100's of students wondering around our streets. We might as well rehire those police officers we just laid off. Matter of fact we will have to hire 10 more to keep the streets safe from the extra traffic and crime. Taxes you say....You need to look at the big picture.

marco97 writes:

in response to 1Paradiselost:

Hay einstein, I have children in Tommie Barfield how likely is it that I would be living off will money? Fortunately my children have grandparents.
Because I do not agree with you you assume I am a drop out and living off my parents money? Both my wife and I work for a living thank you.
100's of student wandering our streets, 1500 cars a day, are you on crack?. We will have the same kids we have going to school on the Island now just for 4 more years.
And no one has asked were I went to school, please show me were that subject was raised.

marco97 writes:

Hey Einstein, what does a car accident by a senior citizen have to do with a school on the Island and should we close the other schools here because of it?

marco97 writes:

in response to 1Paradiselost:

Sorry paradise, I did not see this post, Brookline High School, And it may be less the 11 acres.

1Paradiselost writes:

Marco97..... Thank you for the response. Brookline High School is in the city of Boston, Mass. My dear friend from Boston, I hope your not living here thinking your going to change Marco into the city of Boston? If that's the case you moved to the wrong place. You had mention in one of your blogs your children attend Tommy Barfield. I don't know of many students at Tommy Barfield that drive to school. High schools bring a different set of problems, and that's a fact. Going to a school in the city of Boston you should know those problems. Why would you want Marco's residents subjected to the traffic and the crime that these outside students would bring to our island? You see busing is a federal law! I to went to an inner city school also. This is a quiet conservative city that does not want big city ideas. That's why most of us moved here. Our crime rate is low for a reason. When you moved here you knew the high school was located at Lely. Don't you feel that your high school experience was enriched by the diverse student population at Brookline HS in Boston? Stop trying to protect your children from the experiences that enriched your life at Brookline. FYI for the readers, Brookline has 73 different nationalities of students at the present time, a lot like Lely? Graduates of Brookline HS were Democratic candidate for president Michael Dukakis. Richard Goodwin advisor and speechwriter to Presidents Kennedy and Johnson, comic Conan O'Brian. You know where i'm going. Tax and spend liberals.....I can spend my own money thank you!

in response to 1Paradiselost:

To add to your post the Cypress Street Playground in right across the street from the High School and there was no busing to local football games. Oh I forgot, football games are a male's sport and should not be important according to Marco97.

costarica (Inactive) writes:

Brillo and 1paradiselost:

There are some very nice 55+ communities near Marco that don't have any bothersome, loud, pesky families with high school age children living there.

It may be the nice, quiet, kid-free atmosphere you are looking for.

in response to costarica:

Brillo and 1paradiselost:

It may be the nice, quiet, kid-free atmosphere you are looking for.

1. I will tell my kids you want me to move! By the way, my daughter takes exception to the comments that "mostly boys do sports so sports are not an important part of the experience".

2. I guess I am just a little more considerate of the majority of the population on this island then others are. Don't you think that it is insulting to be telling the people in this age bracket 55+ that they should be moving? (What a nerve!)

3. I never said I was against a high school. If we are going to do it, let's do it right, not a "Mc-Mini" school on an inadequate site such as Tract K.

4. Perhaps when you moved here you should have looked into the demographics of the area and picked a place with more kids and a high school. The lack thereof does not seem to bother a whole lot of other people, they researched what Marco Island was when they moved here, not just a "tiny bit of print on some map" as you constantly remind everyone.

5. I knew what was here when I moved here and I still love what it is.

6. Perhaps people who do not even live on this island should not be making decisions in regard to it (I do not include the School Board in this reference). When they pay taxes to Marco they could have a say.

1Paradiselost writes:

To Marco98, not to be confused by Marco97 from Boston...... After reviewing your blogs to this paper, what do you personally have to gain from a school on Marco? Telling the people of Marco to move to 55 plus community because they don't agree with you is something I would expect of a child. Blog are for discussing issues. If you disagree with the comments by others, please provide facts that support you argument. Acting like a child and suggesting the majority of residents move to a 55 plus community shows that you and your group is a self serving origination without compassion to our senior residents. With the response you have given this blog, I wound not let you or your group teach my dog!

dwbadger writes:

Some good points have been made in the comments....Especially the point that anyone moving to the island with school age children knew that traveling off island to high school was part of the deal. Why should that change? People who don't like the make up of the islnad or the opportunities that are provided have every right to sell their homes and move to a community that meets their needs. The island does not have to change to accomodate them.

marco97 writes:

Brillo, Cypress Street Playground was not used for Football or Baseball the town has both a Baseball and Football fields which the High School used. The football field is about 2 miles away and when the team had practice after school players were not bussed they found there own way there so I don't believe a school needs a football field to work.
I never said "mostly boys do sports so sports are not an important part of the experience", I said "Are you talking about a football field and baseball on site? because if you are keep in mind that those two items are almost exclusively used by the male population of the school and even then only a few make the team." which is very different then what you quoted me as saying.
Paradise, First off Brookline is not part of Boston it is an affluent town of 59,000 next to Boston and many people move there because of the low crime rate and excellent school system. My High School of 2000 student did not have a problem with student driving to school, for the most part only seniors had licensees and few of them had cars. The town is geographically close in size to Marco so most students walked, or rode a bike and for the ones that lived to far to walk we had busses.
My High School was not that diverse when I went there, the town has changed a lot since then and I believe Tommie Barfield is way more diverse that my school was.
Paradise you have got to stop making assumptions about me, your batting zero, just because I went to a school that produced a lot of liberals does not make me one, far from it.
Bottom line is a school would easily work on tract K but I am not going to convince you but it would work and also increase your homes value.

Marco98,

"Increasing one's home value" Would you put that in writing along with putting up some money? Please inclued the "home values" in the Tigertail area! Partial, self serving truths, like most thing we have heard, from your group.

In addition why are there baseball diamonds, and football field outlines on the Google photo of your inner-city, diverse, school? You see some of us do check things out before we assume what is being told to us is completely true or not.

Final questions. Why did you move here in the first place? Did you not "know" enough that there was not a high school here? Please answer that question? So far I have not heard you say that you are happy living here. The majority of us are, why do you feel that you know more than them in wanting to change that?

1Paradiselost writes:

Marco97 Question: Tell us why a school would not work a the "Y" site where your group is welcome? If someone lived near Track K a school would decrease the value of housing by 20-30% from current values. How would you like Trailers, Oh excuse me portables on site located in your neighborhood? BTW trailers are forbidden on Marco do to city ordnances. So who's going to pay for the buildings?

The reason for this blog was about the eagles. I think we should remember that there has to be a buffer of 330 feet from the nest, that's the law! I have the inside track that a request would be denied for a permit to build near the several nests that have been build over the past 6 years on Track K. Go to the "Y" and be happy and enjoy your life here! You group needs to prove it's self! Please respond to BRILLOS request, we have several questions in print as do all readers of this paper.

marco97 writes:

Brillo, When I moved here 20 years ago I was not married and did not have children.
As for the field in front on the school get your eyes checked the lines are soccer lines not football. Google downs field Brookline for a picture of the towns football field and baseball field an I accept your apology for calling me a lair. They did not play baseball or football in front of the school when I went there.
As far as home values if you use paradise's 20-30 decrease in value if a school is built in the area then wouldn't that mean the homes near Tommy Barfield and the middle school which has a much larger student population then the proposed high school are worth 20-30% less then the same home half a mile away, I don't think so.
Paridice, It is not my group, I do not know any who is behind the building of a high school on the Island, I think since the Mackle brothers left the land to the school board someday a school would be built there. The Y would work for me, in fact the current High School on the Island also works I just hope they don't max out when my children are old enough to use it.
I am though with a debate I can't win, have a good weekend everybody.

Marco97,

So now you are a real estate professional and KNOW what effect Tommy Barfield had on the values of property in that area. HHHMMMMM moved here 20 years ago. HHHMMMMMM know what property values do when a school is built in the area. HHMMMMMM I wish I knew what you profess to know. If I did, I would be so darned wealthy from real estate investments I would be sending my kids to the best private schools in the country. You are not only losing this debate but you would lose any bet I proposed earlier.
Have a wonderful, guiet, enjoyable weekend.

"Long Live The American Eagle"!

marco97 writes:

Brillo, Forgot to mention Brookline High is not an inner-city school, Google The Country Club or Allendale farm both in Brookline also look at the school it has all single family homes around it.

Marco97,

You are like the "Eveready Bunny".

Have a nice weekend!

1Paradiselost writes:

Marco97 Question: Which homes on the island are worth more? The homes build around the Tommy Barfield school, or the homes on Track K? Can someone else answer that question? Some of the oldest homes on the island are Deltona homes build around and near Tommy Barfield. The newest part of Marco is The Tigertail neighborhood. Your very uninformed for someone who had lived here 20 years about the property values on this island. What were you doing all those years? We need green space on this island. Rule of thumb 1 acre for every 16 lots build is the standard today.

"Long Live The American Eagle"! and the laws that protect it!

Brillo writes:

I think a "breathalyzer" test should be required before posting on the blog!

1Paradiselost writes:

Kiabautermann I do understand what your saying. But show me the infrastructure (jobs) that can support families here on Marco Island? There are two types of jobs here on the island, real estate and service jobs, waiters and waitress, etc. You can't have Kids, Kids, Kids unless families have good paying jobs. If you look at the Marriott, there jobs average $9.50 an hour same with the Hilton. A couple can't buy a home here making that type of income, let alone a family! The bank stopped liar loans and real estate will keep dropping on this island until wages catch up with prices. 75% of all mortgage loans given on this island were non income "Liar loans". Bottom line: Until we have employers here willing to pay a "fair wage". Or the city instead of spending money works on bringing jobs to this area, things will remain the same, as most families still can't afford to live on Marco Island! Sad but true.

dwbadger writes:

Does Sanibel Island have a high school? Do the kids that live there have to cross a bridge? How do they hande education?

in response to dwbadger:

High School

Sanibel Island high school students ride a bus to Fort Myers to attend district neighborhood or magnet schools, which specialize in various disciplines, from languages to fine arts. Students have a choice of schools within their immediate geographical area; a lottery system is used to decide who attends magnet and other most-requested schools. Students can also attend a variety of private schools off island.

All of the students whom are at high school level are bused from Sanibel Island to Fort Myers for school. They have a choice of the type of high school they will attend such as languages or fine arts. There are public schools and public magnet schools as well as some private high schools. A lottery determines which public school or magnet school they will be attending.

For more information or if you just have some questions please use this phone number:
The Sanibel School - (239) 472-1617

Hey K,

Over the last 40 years Marco has gone through at least 5 cycles of ups and downs and then up again. Each time the up cycle occurred it brought things up further than earlier cycles.

There are few, if any, places on the eastern coast of the U.S. than can hold a candle to what we have here.

To predict anything different in the future is your right to be wrong!

seacolony6 writes:

The current community support for the eagle on Tract K is MOST encouraging as it validates a true commitment to our island’s environs leaving little doubt that the in-depth study of Marco’s ecosystems by two of MI Academy’s National Advisory Board members, Jean-Michel Cousteau and Dr. Richard Murphy will be valued as an international blueprint for marine education. For those who do not know, Dr. Richard Murphy, the Director of Education and Science for the Jean-Michel Cousteau’s Ocean Futures Society, is to spend time on our island writing a marine curriculum which melds the study of our unique ecosystems into the four core subjects for the benefit of our entire school community. We are indeed most fortunate as this will be the first such curriculum ever written by the Society.

Dr. Murphy’s list of credits over a 40 year career include: Creating and implementing "Jean-Michel Cousteau's Ambassadors of the Environment Program"; Creating the Sustainable Reefs program in conjunction with the United Nations, Association of Small Island States; writing storylines and editing scripts for a 52 part TV film series for children entitled, "Sea Scope”; authoring Coral Reefs – Cities Under the Sea; authoring over 60 articles in scientific and popular publications; teaching courses, with The International Ecotourism Society and other organizations, on sustainable management of coastal resources; photographing images of the Cousteau expeditions; presenting over 30 papers at scientific conferences; formulating and communicating environmental policy and information to an international public; insuring scientific accuracy in all Cousteau projects; organizing research aboard Calypso, Alcyone and land-based expeditions; writing for and editing various media, including the 21-volume Ocean World Of Jacques Cousteau series, Cousteau magazines (Calypso and Dolphin Logs), and filmstrips.

This incredible world-class research/education will inarguably serve to enlighten us all as to how to best nurture our island environment, including our eagles. It is indeed encouraging to know we are all on the same page!