East Naples house fire leaves three homeless

— East Naples grease fire leaves three homeless

A grease fire caused $15,000 damage to an East Naples home Monday evening before fire fighters arrived and quickly put it out, East Naples Fire Department Spokesman Greg Speers said.

The department responded to the fire at 5357 Catts Street after the call came in at 7:52 p.m. One person was in the home at the time, but escaped uninjured, Speers said.

“The fire itself was contained in the kitchen area, but there is considerable smoke damage throughout the residence,” Speers said.

Residents Gerry Adkins Sr., his son Gerry Adkins Jr., and Lollie Jackson were all being cared for and the American Red Cross would be in contact with them to provide aid, Speers said.

Aside from calling 911 in an emergency, a grease fire can be put out by putting a lid on the fire, covering it with a slightly damp cloth or towel, or using a fire extinguisher, Speers said.

© 2010 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Related Stories

Comments » 0

Be the first to post a comment!

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features