MARCO ISLAND — Update Tuesday
Bistro Soleil co-owner Lisa Meurgue reported that the small, contained fire required some cleanup, but the restaurant located at the Olde Marco Inn & Suites is open and doing business as usual.
A fire broke out at the historic Olde Marco Inn & Suites on Palm Avenue at about 4 a.m. this morning. Marco Island Fire Rescue and other nearby departments extinguished the kitchen fire, which caused as much as $75,000 in damage, fire officials announced.
Marco Island Fire Rescue received a call from a passerby at 4:17 a.m. this morning of smoke coming from the historic Olde Marco Inn at 100 Palm Ave., announced Marco's Public Information Coordinator Lisa Douglass in a prepared release issued this morning.
The building, built in 1883 as the Captain Collier’s Inn, now houses the Bistro Soleil restaurant and registration for the hotel.
Fire units from Marco Island, Isles of Capri Fire Rescue Department, Collier County Emergency Medical Services and East Naples Fire Rescue Department responded to the scene.
Upon arrival, firefighters made entry and extinguished a fire in the kitchen area.
"The direct fire damage was limited, but located near an air conditioning intake that spread smoke through out the structure," Douglass reported.
The historic building was unoccupied at the time, she added.
Fire personnel ventilated the structure and a fire investigator was called to the scene.
The major problem will be smoke damage clean up and the building sustained an estimated $50,000 to $75,000 in damage, officials reported.
Fire Units cleared the scene around 8 a.m., turning the building back to the owner and insurance company representative.
Fire Marshal Ray Munyon is investigating.