Trial for accused family-killer Mesac Damas still a year away, judge says

Mesac Damas confesses to killing his family

Damas says he wants to be buried ...

— Wearing handcuffs and shackles, accused killer Mesac Damas appeared in Collier County Circuit court this morning but his trial is still about a year away, according to Judge Frank Baker.

Damas is accused of killing his wife and five children in their North Naples home last year.

In a status hearing, Assistant State Attorney Rich Montecalvo said the trial is still at least a year away and Damas’ attorney Deputy Public Defender Michael Orlando agreed.

Joining Montecalvo was Assistant State Attorney Dave Scuderi.

Montecalvo said they don’t anticipate any other discovery disclosures, but the medical examiners reports and photographs that are still being compiled for the defense attorneys.

There are already depositions of the first five officers on the scene. And an extensive witness list, including a few out of country witnesses.

Orlando said the case has gotten off to a productive start.

A status hearing in front of Baker was set for June 18.

Montecalvo said it was normal for a case, such as the Damas case, to take about a year.

A man in the gallery yelled out his name as Damas was led from the courtroom and Damas managed to wave as a bailiff told the man to be quiet.

A woman wept so hard she had to be escorted out of the room by Damas’ attorney at the end the hearing.

After fleeing to Haiti, Damas admitted on video to a Naples Daily News reporter that he killed his wife and children.

Damas has been held without bond on suicide watch at the Collier County jail, a normal procedure in murder case.

On Sept. 19, Collier County sheriff’s deputies were called to the Damas’ rented townhouse after Guerline Damas hadn’t shown up for work at Publix. Deputies entered the home on Hampton Circle and found a bloody crime scene: Their bodies had been stabbed and their throats slashed.

Damas had fled to Haiti a day earlier, but was brought back by sheriff’s detectives after he confessed to a Daily News reporter and special agent Peter Kolshorn of the U.S. Diplomatic Security Service following his arrest by Haitian police on Sept. 21.

© 2010 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Related Stories

Related Links

Comments » 0

Be the first to post a comment!

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features