13275 Livingston Road, Naples, FL
NAPLES — For the 56 graduates of Community School of Naples, Friday marked the end of their schooling with the institution. But it’s not the end of their relationship with the school and “saying goodbye” may be their toughest task.
In his salutatory address, Adam Zhang reminded his fellow classmates to always remember the “connections, relationships, ties, and memories” binding them through their time together in high school.
He will be attending Bowdoin College in Maine, and will be remembered as one of the school’s best musicians. Also, he was selected to perform at Carnegie Hall in June at its 2010 American High School Honor Performance Series.
Sacha Samotin, the valedictorian who will be attending the University of Pennsylvania in the fall, decided to take a different approach to the usual predictable speech. He reminded his classmates that they are currently living the American dream, and have been given an amazing “gift” by their parents thru the possibility to attend the Community School. He challenged them to “confront challenges, care for the community and choose compassion.”
Academic and nonacademic awards were also handed out before the presentation of diplomas. Ryan Roden-Corrent won the math award, Sarah Zion won the English award, Sacha Samotin won the history award, Stephanie Twellmeyer won the science award, and Frank Duffy won the world languages award. The Maxine Strayer Award, which is for a student who is exceptionally successful, passionate, caring and humble, went to Connor Timmins. The CSN Prize, which recognizes a well-rounded student who represents the school in a number of good ways, went to Victoria Barner.
Eric Miles, Dean of Students for the Upper School, said he will always remember this class not because he taught them as freshman, but because they are a group of “highly talented students full of individual standouts.”
They will most certainly remember him, as well as the other teachers and coaches at the school.
Close friends Paige Allen, who will be attending the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota, and Ally Altman, who will be attending the University of Miami, both showed their sentimental and caring sides, as they got ready to line up.
“I can no longer say I’m a high schooler… it’s very overwhelming,” said Allen. Altman, who has been at the school since 2nd grade, said “saying goodbye” will be the hardest part.
High school graduation is the one last time for an entire class to be together; “all good things reach their peak and come together” on graduation night, said Twellmeyer, who will be attending the University of Chicago.
Jacqueline McCormick, the Head of Upper School, summed up graduation by quoting Star Trek. She challenged the graduating class to “live long and prosper.”
- Lorenzo Walker's first graduating class
- Project Graduation at the YMCA
- Gulf Coast High School's 2010 graduating class
- Commencement for Ave Maria law grads
- Project Graduation at the YMCA
- Barron Collier High School
- Community School of Naples
- Donahue Academy
- Eden Autism Services
- Estero High School
- Everglades City School
- First Baptist Academy
- Golden Gate High School
- Gulf Coast High School
- Immokalee High School
- Lely High School
- Lorenzo Walker Technical High School
- Naples High School
- Palmetto Ridge High School
- Seacrest County Day School
- South Fort Myers High School
- St. John Neumann High School
- Ave Maria School of Law
- Florida Gulf Coast University
- Hodges University
GRADUATES OF DISTINCTION:
- Barron Collier High School: John White
- Community School of Naples: Connor Timmins
- Donahue Academy: Michelle Williams
- Estero High School: Daniel Rosman
- Everglades City School: Kimberly Brown
- First Baptist Academy High School: Dorothea Bischof
- Golden Gate High School: Cindy Rivas
- Gulf Coast High School: Kaitlyn Weber Lang
- Immokalee High School: Joeseph Brueggen
- Lely High School: Sander Langerbeeke
- Lorenzo Walker High School: Lina Rivera
- Naples High School: Austin Gore
- Palmetto Ridge High School: Ory Bell
- Seacrest Country Day School: Brunes Charles
- South Fort Myers High School: Alexandra "Ali" Sanfilippo
- Fun and games: Collier high school outgoing seniors celebrate at Project Graduation
- 15-year-old Barron Collier grad heading to Purdue University
- Saying goodbye not easy for 56 graduates at Community School
- Eden Autism Services celebrates graduation of accomplished student
- Small Everglades class marked by rousing spirit
- 11 receive diplomas at First Baptist Academy's second graduation
- Fallen football coach Tudryn remembered at Gulf Coast High ceremony
- Lorenzo Walker Tech graduates first high school class
- St. John Neumann grads dedicate ceremony to Tony Grasso, former teacher, basketball coach
- Jeb Bush addresses Ave Maria's first law school graduates in Naples
- Despite downturn, FGCU commencement excites graduates, families
- Hodges University graduates 625 during ceremony Sunday
- SUBMIT YOUR GRADUATION PHOTOS: Got photos from graduation? Click here to upload your graduation photos and videos
- SPECIAL SECTION: Find videos, photos and stories about area high school and college commencement ceremonies.