Barron beats Lely 49-10
Lely moves forward in the season with ...
Top Plays from Barron vs. Lely
NAPLES — Barron Collier’s position in the upcoming state football playoff is already set, but that didn’t mean the Cougars were going to ease off the throttle in their final district game of the season on Friday night.
Quarterback Julio Gomez used his arm and his legs to carry Barron Collier past Lely 49-10.
“I’m very happy with the way we played tonight and we continued to show improvement,” Barron Collier coach Mark Ivey said. “We’ve still got a lot of areas to work on but we’ve come a long way from where we were at the start of the season.”
On the game’s fourth play from scrimmage, Gomez scampered 58 yards for a touchdown to give Barron Collier an early 7-0 lead. The run was just a harbinger of things to come as Gomez had runs of 42 and 20 on his next two carries, and the Cougars built a 14-0 lead by the end of the first quarter.
Gomez finished the game with 165 yards and one touchdown on the ground and 63 yards passing.
“My offensive line has done a terrific job of giving me time and allowing me to read the defense and make the right throws,” Gomez said. “And running the ball tonight they opened holes that even Coach Ivey could have run through.”
Lely provided some brief resistance at the start of the second quarter when it went on a 16-play drive. But for the second consecutive time, the Trojans were forced to settle for a field goal attempt, this time a successful 26-yarder from junior Sergio Sanchez.
The Cougars countered with a 67-yard drive, which was capped off by a 14-yard touchdown run by senior defensive lineman Joey Puopolo to take a 21-3 lead. The 220 pound Puopolo lined up at running back and ran right through the Trojan defense untouched for the score.
“We’ve been wanting to give him the ball and running back all year and we’ve finally had some guys step up on the offensive line so we can move Joey into the backfield,” Ivey said. “He’s a handful for defenses back there because he’s a great blocker and he can also carry the ball as well as anyone on our team.”
On its next drive Barron Collier drove down to the Lely 5-yard line before it turned the ball over on downs. Then a bizarre sequence of plays saw the teams combine for three interceptions on the next three plays, the last of which was intercepted by the Cougars’ Steven Dekevich and returned 45 yards for a touchdown.
On Lely’s first drive after halftime a sack and forced fumble by Puopolo led to a scoop and score for teammate Joey Lohmann to give the Cougars a 35-3 lead. After another forced fumble, Barron Collier’s Bobby Dehnz scored from 5 yards out to put the Cougars up 42-3 and trigger the running clock rule.
“I’m a little biased but I think Joey Puopolo is the best player in Southwest Florida,” Ivey said. “You can’t block him and he gets in the backfield and causes all kinds of problems.”
The teams exchanged touchdowns in the fourth quarter, with Lely scoring on a 9-yard run by Kervens Beauplen and Barron Collier scoring on a 33-yard run by Ethienne Savion.
BARRON COLLIER 49, LELY 10
L 0 3 0 7 — 10
BC 14 14 14 7 — 49
BC — Gomez 58 run (Gomez kick), 10:12
BC — Weber 3 run (Gomez kick), 4:36
L — Sanchez 26 FG, 8:37
BC — Puopolo 14 run (Gomez kick), 6:02
BC — Dekevich 45 interception return (Gomez kick), 0:25
BC — Lohmann 7 fumble return (Gomez kick), 10:39
BC — Dehnz 5 run (Gomez kick), 3:14
L — Beauplen 9 run (Sanchez kick), 5:50
BC — Savinon 33 run (Tamayo kick), 1:14
2010 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 10
- Video: Immokalee bounces Estero
- Video: Barron beats Lely 49-10
- Video: Top Plays from Barron vs. Lely
- Video: Fans & Bands - Cougars and Trojans
- Video: Lely band's halftime show - Part 1
- Video: Lely band's halftime show - Part 2
- Video: Barron band's halftime show - Part 1
- Video: Barron band's halftime show - Part 2
- Photos: Naples vs. Golden Gate
- Photos: Palmetto Ridge vs. Gulf Coast
- Photos: Immokalee vs. Estero
- Photos: Lely vs. Barron Collier
- Photos: Evangelical Christian vs. St. John Neumann
- Your Photos: Golden Gate Fans
- Your Photos: Naples Band
- Your Photos: Golden Gate Band
- Your Photos: Naples Fans
- Your Photos: Gulf Coast Fans
- Your Photos: Palmetto Ridge Band
- Your Photos: Gulf Coast Band
- Prep football: Immokalee back in playoffs with win over Estero
- Prep football: Naples runs record to 9-0, rolls over Golden Gate
- Prep football: Gulf Coast scores in final minute to grab playoff berth from Palmetto Ridge
- Prep football: Barron Collier overwhelms Lely in district finale
- Prep football: St. John Neumann battles bravely for Vilcin in losing effort
- Neumann fans rally behind football player injured at homecoming dance
- Prep football: South Fort Myers seniors close regular season with rout of Mariner
- Prep football: Community School finishes strong with win over Central Florida Christian
- PREP FOOTBALL WEEK 10: Scores, stories, photos & videos
- Prep football: Friday's scores from around the state of Florida