EAST LEE COUNTY 34, LELY 31
L 3 14 14 0 — 31
ELC 7 7 6 14 — 34
L — Sanchez 32 FG, 5:37
ELC — Smith 4 run (Anderson kick), 2:47
ELC — Davis 1 run (Anderson kick), 9:54
L — Zillinger 11 pass from Lane (kick failed), 4:52
L — Lucas 9 pass from Lane (Cyceron run), 0:27
L — Jean 6 pass from Lane (Sanchez kick), 9:54
ELC — Crawford 33 pass from Simmons (kick failed), 6:10
L — Cyceron 11 run (Sanchez kick), 3:19
ELC — Crawford 20 pass from Simmons (pass failed), 11:52
ELC — Sawyer 6 run (Crawford pass from Simmons), 5:12
LEHIGH ACRES — For the second consecutive week, a game turned on the Lely Trojans when their opponent fumbled a bad snap on a punt yet still converted for a first down.
Up 31-20 early in the fourth quarter against East Lee County, the Trojans stuffed the Jaguars on defense to force a fourth-and-12 from East Lee’s 28. Jaguar punter Keandre’ Smith bobbled the snap and took off, evading several Lely tackles for a 15-yard gain. East Lee County later scored on that drive and the next, rallying for a 34-31 victory.
“We had three missed tackles on that play, all three by kids who start on defense for us,” Lely coach Dave Miller said. “It seems like a weekly occurrence for us. We get up on a team but can’t quite finish them off.”
Lely (2-4, 1-2 Class 3A-District 12) lost its second consecutive district game, each time holding a double-digit lead. The Trojans led 14-0 in the third quarter of last week’s 27-21 loss at Lehigh.
Quarterback Patrick Lane had another outstanding game for the Trojans, but just like last week his only mistake was costly. Lane, who completed 12 of 22 passes for 193 yards and three touchdowns, threw his lone interception with the Trojans up 31-26 early in the fourth quarter. The Jaguars (2-3, 1-2) marched 44 yards in seven plays, with Smith scoring on a 6-yard touchdown. East Lee converted the two-point conversion to go up 34-31 with 5:12 remaining.
The Trojans advanced the ball to the Jaguars’ 18, where they faced a fourth-and-one with less than 90 seconds to go. Miller considered a game-tying 35-yard field goal attempt, but felt good with the way his offense was moving the ball all game and went for the win.
Miller called for a power run by Kervens Beauplan, but East Lee blitzed on the play and caught him in the backfield for a 4-yard loss.
“It was a play that was getting us 5 to 7 yards all game,” Miller said. “And we would have had another big gain, perhaps a touchdown if we picked up the blitz. Give (East Lee County) credit, it was a nice defensive call.”
The game was a back-and-forth offensive shootout with just one punt (by East Lee County) and two turnovers (by Lely). Davenson Cyceron led the Trojans’ running attack with 15 carries for 107 yards and a touchdown. Lane added 60 yards rushing on 15 carries to go along with his three touchdown passes.
The Jaguars got a great game from Smith, who rushed for a game-high 136 yards on 19 carries, none bigger than the 15-yard scamper on the busted punt attempt.
East Lee County quarterback Marcus Simmons got off to a rough start throwing the football, but picked it up as the game progressed. After completing just 3 of 8 passes for 20 yards in the first half, Simmons found Bryce Crawford for touchdowns covering 33 and 20 yards in the second half. Simmons also added 58 yards rushing on 10 carries.
Things don’t get any easier for the Trojans, as they host unbeaten Naples in the annual Coconut Bowl next Friday.
“Obviously, we need to cut down on our mistakes, but we expect a strong effort and another close game,” Miller said.
2010 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 6
WEEK SIX COVERAGE:
- Video: Barron holds off Cypress Lake
- Video: Golden Gate suffers let down vs. Lehigh
- Photos: Lehigh vs. Golden Gate
- Photos: Cypress Lake at Barron Collier
- Photos: Cape Coral-Baker vs. Gulf Coast
- Photos: North Fort Myers at South Fort Myers
- Your Photos: Golden Gate Band Photos
- Your Photos: Barron Collier Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Barron Collier Band Photos
- Your Photos: Cypress Lake Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Golden Gate Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Cypress Lake Band Photos
- Prep football: Golden Gate's playoff hopes take severe hit with loss to Lehigh
- Prep football: Barron Collier holds off Cypress Lake
- Prep football: Gulf Coast gets back on track with win over Baker
- Prep football: South Fort Myers' Crawford holds court in blowout win over North
- Prep football: Estero routs DeSoto County for first district win in four years
- Prep football: Immokalee hangs on to edge Hardee
- Prep football: Lack of finishing kick does in Lely again
- Prep football: Bradenton Christian rolls past St. John Neumann
- Prep football: Cape Coral rallies in second half to beat Palmetto Ridge
- Prep football: Friday's scores from around the state of Florida
- Prep football live scoring: Week 6 action
- PREP FOOTBALL WEEK 6: Everything you need to know about Friday night's games