Marco Island teen calls 911 claiming police harassment during traffic stop

— When Marco Island police approached the driver’s side window of a black Mercedes-Benz during a traffic stop Monday night they heard the driver talking on his cell phone reporting that police were harassing him. Cody J. Flowers, 18, of the 800 block of Seagrape Drive Marco Island was stopped for reportedly driving too close to the car in front of him near Winterberry Drive and Heathwood Drive shortly before 11 p.m. Monday.

Flowers gave police his license, but would not hang up the phone or give them his registration, according to reports.

Police said there was “constant movement inside his vehicle while reaching in unknown compartments throughout the vehicle.” When asked to get out of the vehicle, Flowers refused and began to roll up the driver side window with his left hand and reach over with his right hand to push down the drivers door lock, however just prior to locking the door an officer was able to open it and escort Flower out if his vehicle, according to reports.

“Flowers then became combative and started pushing away from me in an attempt to escape,” the officer said.

Flowers was charged with resisting an officer without violence and a search revealed marijuana in his right front pant pocket, police said.

While on the scene, the Collier County Dispatcher then dispatched a 911 hang-up with the remarks of someone stating “Help I’m being harassed,” according to reports.

The call was made by Flowers during the time of the traffic stop, police said.

In addition to the traffic ticket and charge of resisting an officer, Flowers was charged with possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana and making a false 911 emergency call.

© 2011 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

MIslander writes:

It is no secret the Marco police harass islanders. Following too close? Come on.

Its all fun and games until not the chief (while sober hopefully) launches an investigation and fires the officer (John Derrig/Sherminator), but one of these kids refuses a plea, gets the case dismissed, and files a very large lawsuit against Marco Island. For what? Violation of the 4th amendment, maybe.

I'll just sit back and say "I told you so." How many lawsuits and mess ups do we need until we finally get rid of the MIPD? We already pay way too much for them in the budget anyway, and that's without all the additional costs of these lawsuits.

Do we even need to vote?

waverunner writes:

in response to MIslander:

Do we even need to vote?

If the cop did nothing, you and Klabberzili would be saying the cops didn't enforce traffic laws. If you found out the cop let the lovely human being go with marijuana, you would be saying the cop didn't do enough to stop the flow of drugs. What losers you two are, WAAAAAH!

Stefano_G writes:

in response to islandeye1#236971:

I certainly don't condone his behavior but why does he need "drug" counseling? Was he cited for DUI? Would you say that someone with a six-pack in the car needs alcohol counseling? I think he needs a good dose of slum therapy more than anything. How would you feel if you happened to be daydreaming a bit and then were pulled over and cited for "following too close".

new2naplesguy writes:

s----- punk should have been tased. Congrats to the cop who probably showed great restraint with this moron.

in response to new2naplesguy:

You guys working for Marco's Dumbest got such a sweet deal off the taxpayers, you'd think you'd wise up enough to avoid truly bonehead moves like this against this kid minding his own business.

But I guess that would really be expecting too much....

239mrright writes:

once again i couldnt agree more with MIslander. for real come on following to close is a reason to pull someone over and conduct a search? this is not the first time we have heard of bored marco cops harassing teens. and all of you saying this boy needs help cuz he had a little bit of marijuana are out your minds, its a recreational drug and whast funny is some of our own marco cops have been seen drinking and smoking at parties they "bust". when do we get the hint to get rid of this useless police departement that all it does is cost us more money then needed with all the law suits agaisnt it, when do you people get the hint? how many people have to file for harrassment before action is taken? all this people commenting saying we are in the wrong wanting to shut mipd down are marco cops affraid to lose their jobs cuz they know they cant get a job anywhere else as cops. its also funny how and officer can see alot of movement in the car at 11 pm windows tinted?

RayPray writes:

"all this people commenting saying we are in the wrong wanting to shut mipd down are marco cops affraid to lose their jobs cuz they know they cant get a job anywhere else as cops."

So true.

However, the fast food industry is always in search of such economical talent....

By the way Kevin waverunner, what stage of your 12-step program are you working on now?

239mrright writes:

thank you finally someone that agrees.

MrDick writes:

Eight prior convictions for this guy in 1.5 years. Wow this guy must get harassed a lot!! Good job MIPD! The life you save may be one of our kids or grand kids crossing the street.

blogsmog writes:

punk.... good for the cops.

RayPray writes:

"Counseling could save the kid from a serious, life threatening drug addiction."

>>> Thanks for the laugh!

>>> Don't you see our shrewd shamus planted the weed in the pocket as soon as he saw the kid was shouting harassment?

"And following to close IS against the law"

>>> Why not intensive counseling for this?

>>> Can there be anything worse than for a teen than getting lured into a lifetime of relentless vehicular propinquity?

marco826 writes:

in response to islandeye1#236971:

islandeye, you seem like an angry man. PUNK? The kid is 18. Making some mistakes. You paint him as trash. Police were fine here. Your not. You know nothing about that young man other than being charged with carrying weed. your ready to throw away the key on a young man. Give me a break.

1adam12 (Inactive) writes:

in response to waverunner:

That's the way it is. You can't win. blasteded if you do and blasteded if you don't. Having said that you know that there are some cops out there that are outta hand.

in response to islandeye1#236971:

"He needs to get control of his life and stop making the decisions that got him into this situation. I hope the young man learned a lesson that he is not above the law regardless of what his parents and grandparents think."

How can you be so dense?

1. A bored cop decides to have some fun stopping an innocent teenager. This goes on all the time.

2. The kid is smart enough to size up the situation and shrewdly calls 911. Exactly what he should have done!

3. To protect himself, the cop fumbles around and conveniently finds some planted weed in the kid's pocket. Routine low-level CYA cop behavior.

marcoonmymind writes:

in response to islandeye1#236971:

"Spoiled Brat" describes this jerk beautifully in just two words. If he had acted appropriately, spoken respectfully to law enforcement and NOT had drugs on him, the cops would have respectfully sent him on his way. Clearly, HE is in the wrong here and not the police. He needs to grow up and learn to accept responsibility for the mistakes he makes and then LEARN from them!

ratsnake writes:

When you get in trouble around Marco, the cops get to know you and your car. After that, you're in the crosshairs all the time. This kid was obviously known to the cops if he's had eight convictions. The MI cops' problem is that they're getting out of control. This kid might not have been harassed, but I know of law abiding citizens, property owners and businessmen who have been harassed by Marco cops. They seem to be on a power trip and they think they can do whatever they want, to whoever they want. They threaten people and bully kids, soemtimes for no good reason. I believe it's because of lack of leadership in MIPD. Council should ditch that chief and get someone in there who can bring dicipline back to the department.

MIslander writes:

Ratsnake: exactly, exactly, exactly. I recommend some of these bloggers actually go outside and you will see this lunacy going on.

mahiman writes:

Dirtbag. Scum. Slime. Idiot. Criminal. Druggee. Punk. User. Degenerate. Useless turd. Loser. Wastecase. Spoiled moron. Jackweed. Next time do us a favor and drive off the bridge so there's one less crackhead in the world.

ba10da69 writes:

in response to RayPray:

So true.

Love the 12 step program comment...all they need now is random drug testing .

August8 writes:

"RayPray"
I do not care what anyone else says here, for sure, and without a doubt, "RayPray" is an absolute nut" and a liability to the island, anyone else agree???

in response to August8:

"RayPray"

How it pains me that my tax dollars must go to supporting you & Kevin on the MI Keystone Cops.

Even those constrained by ideology always to brown nose the constabulary, in private, admit that your police force is a sad joke of stupidity and incompetence.

By the way, does 'August 8' represent the day you're hoping finally to pass your sobriety test?

ba10da69 writes:

RAYPRAY ... THAT IS SOME FUNNY SHIZZ

August8 writes:

"RAYPRAY"

I think you keep bringing Kevin up??? I bet he once physically put your little house in order, that's what I think, he has nothing to do with this??

in response to August8:

"RAYPRAY"

"I think you..."

"that's what I think"

Glad to hear you have achieved this tricky 'thinking' state.

Don't give up!

Try 'thinking' again sometimes....

Maybe even next month....

August8 writes:

"See I was right----Rayprey is a nut""

FalconPilot writes:

in response to MIslander:

Do we even need to vote?

Since you seem to be dissatisfied with the Police Department (and the obvious vendetta against the Chief as well being that you found it necessary to attack him) for doing their jobs and find their presence on the island unnecessary, might I suggest that if the time comes when you find yourself in need of the police, that you remember your opinion of them and not call them? Just take care of the problem your self. Oh, and don't worry about breaking any laws. after all, are laws really that important?

in response to FalconPilot:

FalconPilot, why does simple English seem such a stranger to all you valiant heroes of the MI Keystone Cops?

You woozy lunkheads have such a sweet deal here from island taxpayers.

All you got to do is keep your nose clean.

Why is that so difficult?

ba10da69 writes:

Some officers have issues keeping there noses clean...another good reason for random drug tests..

August8 writes:

"ba10da69"

Specify---specify?? Don't just throw a bunch of s--t on the wall to see if it sticks, specify if you are going to say such things, show some guts!!!

in response to ba10da69:

Random drug tests for our cops -- and also the dubious Chief -- would be a solid move.

I'm sure August7 would be first to submit to such chemical scrutiny of his common sense.

August8 writes:

"YEP"

No problem here liquid head !!!!

fortl writes:

Since when do you reach over to ROLL up the window of a Mercedes?
Unless its an antique they have had electric windows for a long time. And electric door locks form the console. Hum????

August8 writes:

"Yea-Yea-Yea"

Tell ya, the guy is a nut !!!!!!!

MIslander writes:

Falconpilot: I'm glad you joined marconews.com just to respond to my post. Welcome.

What I am suggesting is that we remove the Marco Island Police Department, and have the Collier County Sheriff's Office patrol the island.

liberator100 writes:

mmpj writes:

I've read all 52 comments on this one arrest and I have to respond. First and foremost..The statement that this is the 8th conviction for this young man is an outright lie. Anyone can go to public records and search...LIE...For those of you who don't know, this is a talented, brilliant young man who MIGHT or MIGHT NOT have done something wrong. Another thing I have to address is the fact that everyone assumes the parents are the ones to blame...Well, that is not always the case.....Good, upstanding, honest, and hard working people raise their kids with morals and values, and sometimes their children choose to veer off the correct path for a moment (or two)...Doesn't mean they are ruined for life or should be "black balled" by the "upstanding citizens" of their home town. There have been many successes and failures in parenting (for which all of us know of)...But to insinuate that every questionable choice a child/teenager/young adult does, is the direct result of "bad" parenting or grand-parenting is ludicrous. Have all of you "finger pointers" never towed the line? I bet most of you who have, turned out to be upstanding citizens. Nobody knows for certain what happened when he was pulled over (unless you were there) but..... As far as "following too close", It happens to ME everyday on my way to work. There are never any cops around when I need them..(By the way, its usually not a teen). I know that Marco sensationalizes the juicy headlines, but does not publish the actual outcome of the charge..there still is such a thing as "innocent until proven guilty". I am not saying that there isn't a concern for our teens and young adults on our Island, I'm simply saying that everything is not always as it seems...

marcoonmymind writes:

in response to mmpj:

mmpj- You make some good points and as a teacher of middle school aged children, I am also a strong supporter of our youth. I am usually very positive about teenagers, even when others are critical. I see good kids make mistakes all the time and realize this is part of the growing process. However, what concerns me about this incident is the teens arrogance toward the police. It was stated that he remained on the phone while they tried to talk to him, wouldn't hand over his registration and refused to get out of the car. These are all reasonable things the cops were asking him to do - they would have asked the same of ANYONE they felt the need to pull over. IF the events happened as stated, it appears to me to be more than just a kid that made a mistake - it APPEARS to be a spoiled brat who feels he does not need to follow the rules that apply to the rest of society. That is where the judgement (and I do realize this is MY opinion, I do not expect ALL to agree) comes from - not the original mistake, but the reaction to the consequences.

in response to islandeye1#236971:

"kid that went bad"

"he sounds arrogant and spoiled rotten."

Maybe an excellent recruit for the MI Keystone Cops?

mmpj writes:

marcoonmymind: I don't argue the fact that it is unacceptable to disregard law enforcement as if the rules/laws don't apply to you. However, one of the points I was trying to make is that nobody knows exactly what happened before/during or after the arrest, yet everyone tends to believe what they read in the newspaper. I don't personally have an issue with the MIPD, yet I know NOT ALL is reported exactly the way it happens, coming from Police Officer or suspect. Yes, from the newspaper report, it APPEARS that he was in the wrong in not following simple commands and acting above the law, but there are also Police Officers who act above the law. Noone knows what events led up to him feeling "harrassed" by the police. I feel that the MIPD lies in waiting for the teens on this island, just ready to pounce, instead of trying to help before it's too late (at the cost to both tax payers and parents, not to mention the accused). In MY opinion, I feel that the MIPD could do more for intervention resulting in prevention. The other point I was trying to make is that everyone is ready to place blame (unfairly) on the parents and grand-parents, and it seems to be even worse because these kids live on "Marco Island" so they must be rich, spoiled brats. Don't get me wrong, there are kids who act that way, but not all. That is just MY opinion. I also feel that there are rules in life for everything and it's not only the action, but the reaction that counts. Too bad everyone chooses to stand in judgement based on what they read in the paper.

islandeye1#236971....forming an opinion about me just by what you read?...exactly my point! Sorry to disappoint, but you are incorrect

in response to islandeye1#236971:

"You are a perfect example of what is wrong with so many young people today."

"There are a lot of people like myself who just don't swallow that liberal line you are throwing out."

>>> How can one blogger be such an irretrievable nidiot?

Liberal?

Have you never heard of the 4th Amendment?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated..."

The kid was no more than an innocent victim!

The dope was conveniently planted on him by this gnarled-brow Neanderthal cop!

marcoonmymind writes:

in response to RayPray:

"You are a perfect example of what is wrong with so many young people today."

>>> How can one blogger be such an irretrievable nidiot?

Liberal?

Have you never heard of the 4th Amendment?

The kid was no more than an innocent victim!

The dope was conveniently planted on him by this gnarled-brow Neanderthal cop!

"The kid was no more than an innocent victim."

REALLY????

August8 writes:

"Mislander"

Suggestion denied, next !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August8 writes:

"Ilandeye"
You are very correct, hiney kickin is in order, if not the parents, somebody ?????

in response to islandeye1#236971:

Sneering at our Bill of Rights?

Spurning all Constitutional guarantees?

Hardly a surprise coming from a local Pelosi toad-eater who is Collier coordinator for the "Charlie Rangel Legal Defense Fund", to which he has funneled $thousand$ of dollars in contributions duped out of his unsuspecting friends and neighbors.

in response to August8:

"Ilandeye"

Doesn't being so pathetic a mental midget cause a really bad crick in the neck?

August8 writes:

"Some body tell me"

Is Raypray "ever" sober???

mmpj writes:

in response to islandeye1#236971:

You are the perfect example for my arguement! You quote everything you have read, and believe it as truth...MY POINT IS: Nobody knows what happened unless they were there....yet everyone stands in judgement..What a shame..I have been "accused" of being a parent of a "kid gone bad and can't get over it" to being someone who blames "everyone else" to someone who is directly involved with "what is wrong with the young people of today and trying to blame everyone else" yet I don't believe that you have re-read the beginning of the posts...It was my arguement that the blame should not always be placed on the family..I agree 100% that PEOPLE (not only "youngsters")need to take responsibility for their actions!!! As I said in my last post, it's not only the action but the reaction that counts, and that there are rules to everything in life...I don't condone illegal activity or acting above the law....I do, however, disagree with so many of the JUDGEMENTS without knowing all the facts...that's all..............
I won't even comment on the fact that you are insinuating I'm a liberal, (forming an opinion, yet again)...except for "I REST MY CASE"

marcoonmymind writes:

For the record, I have no side (as far as the bloggers on this site - I don't know any of you and know your positions only by what you choose to reveal in your posts), but I must say, islandeye, that you make a lot of great points and you are HILARIOUS!!

A lot of people on these sites seem to think that those of us that post have some huge effect on the young man or any outcome he has in court. We are only stating our OPINIONS. They are not going to help or hurt the defendant in court - the truth will come out and at that time, the judge or jury will be the one to decide his fate! What does it matter if I think the kid is a spoiled brat? Think what you want, but from the given evidence, I think he needs a serious attitude adjustment (and notice I never said anything about his parents - he is old enough that he is making his own choices at this point).

bobsamdog1 writes:

what a wonderfull time to be alive a no nothing kid gets arrested for some pot and 60-70 people have something to say about it wow!

marcoonmymind writes:

in response to bobsamdog1:

. . . and now, because of your post, it's 61 - 71.