Is football in Charter School’s near future?

The Marco Island Charter Middle School appears headed to having a football team.

A simple lunch-time survey last week showed that more than 40 boys and some girls would be interested in playing should the school form a team.

The Optimist Club of Marco Island, whose football program is led by Ed Webb, said the Optimists are not against the team formation.

Charter Athletic Director Roger Raymond said there are teams in a 45-minute radius that would be interested in playing the Eagles.

“There has been a lot of talk at the school and around Marco about us having a football team,” Raymond said. “The talks seem positive. I think we will make a decision in the next 10 to 12 days.”

Mike Vanderjagt, the Marco Island Academy football coach, took part in the survey, but would not comment.

Raymond said the First Baptist Church has offered its school bus for away games.

Charter School athletes pay $150 per sport and Raymond doesn’t see that fee being any higher for football.

Average cost to the school per player is estimated at $150 to $200, based on uniforms and officiating costs.

Should the school move forward it will consider whether to have a ticket charge for the games. It will earn revenue through its concession stand.

Greg West, former Optimist board member and former head of its football program, is involved with the Naples Gators youth football program. He said the ticket charge is $5 a person for their games.

Webb said, “We (Optimists) are in support of the program should the school do it,” said Webb.

“My understanding is that there will be 26 to 28 kids on the football team. Those who do not make the team can still play in the Optimist program.”

Webb said the Optimist programs, in all sports, is meant to be recreational.

“We provide children the opportunity to play sports as a recreation,” he said. “We don’t travel and we don’t get involved in tournaments.”

Last year the Optimist Eagles fielded three football teams.

“We struggled with the senior (middle school) team, with 18 kids,” he said.

The Optimist Club has already experienced having kids playing sports that Charter School also provides, such as soccer and basketball. The soccer program has been a huge success, with 150 to 200 kids participating.

“Not all kids choose to play at Charter School,” he said. “We are an alternative if a family, or athlete chooses not to play for the school. I wish them good luck, I hope it (football) takes off.”

© 2011 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

RayPray writes:

For young boys football is an especially dangerous activity:

From: Sports Illustrated:

"...when the researchers started dragging in apparently healthy non-concussed players for memory tests and MRI's to establish a control group, they were surprised to discover that players had impaired brain functioning despite not having suffered a concussion. Ultimately, the study found that the sheer number of hits that a player had taken over the previous week, completely irrespective of whether a concussion had been suffered, was the best predictor of brain impairment."

"this is particularly scary, because it means that the vast majority of brain damage in football players might be occurring in the absence of any easily recognizable symptoms...."

Football -- a 'sport' like boxing producing and promoted by morons!

Soccer, Tennis, Basketball -- so many healthy alternatives!

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Football is a very dangerous sport for young people. Bones have not yet developed properly, nor have joints and muscles.

We do not need to injure or cripple young kids in order for their parents to live viscerally through their child's on the field activities.

Has anyone seen the news lately? Other states are doing away with far less dangerous activities for a similar reason and we are going to move ahead with this less than intelligent idea.

bigfatlisa writes:

If you don't like football don't send your kids out for itand don't watch it. Please don't try to discourage others from enjoying a sport that is obviously popular with the kids on the Island.There are plenty of unsupervised, unhealthy and inactive things they could be doing in place of this school run team sport.
Is any child playing a sport truly just an adult living their glory years through their kids, or just football? Ocram get a life!

NoRulesInKansas (Inactive) writes:

American football, a heathen sport!

in response to bigfatlisa:

Lisa,

The facts are sometimes too difficult for some people to comprehend. If parents properly supervise their children they do not have to worry as much about their kids doing the wrong things. So let us not talk about what the kids could be doing. When the Romans watched the gladiators battle each other it was popular too, so being popular has no relation to the facts. Football for undeveloped kids has been proven dangerous. Have them run track, play softball, supervised swimming, etc. Wait until they are in high school if you wish to commit your child to this very potentially injurous sport. A close friends child of mine had his spine severely damaged while his kid was playing football in 9th grade. An injury that has taken years to partially mend.

I have a wonderful life on Marco. Thank you for your kind concern.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

Maybe an article about what I am saying will be more to the appreciation of parents thinking of having their middle schooler play football.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

RayPray writes:

in response to bigfatlisa:

I would have thought by now that all Islanders would have a grasp on the plan and methods of Jane Watt and the Marco Island Academy. The concept of a Charter Middle School Football team has nothing to do with what the kids want or what is good for the Charter Middle School.
This is a long range plan by the MIA to generate enrollment and exposure for the Charter High School. Why do you think they hired Vander... It is all hype and all just to try to make the Charter High School viable.
In fact, the parents that are behind this are obviously the ones that plan on sending their kids to the Charter High School

Ed,

With all of the earlier talk of having the High School be one that would provide a "World Class" academic education. One that they could not receive at Lely. What do we now have? A push for football. The reason.......The high school could not find the academic teachers with adequate credentials and certifications, so the next best thing is to push athletics. Something that was frowned upon by earlier proponent posts. Now what was the "real" reason for the Academy in the first place?
Not the 14 mile trip, not the teachers at Lely, not for that touted,"World Class" education. It was just a way to obtain a private school here on Marco using Public Funding.

freedomofspeech1 writes:

How many middle schools offer football?? NONE!
The cost to put out a football team is is a lot more than any other sport. With equipment and insurance this will drain both schools. The Optomist is a great organization and should not have to deal with this loss of players to a school that has no right offering the sport. This is clearly another effort to create a tunnel to the new academy, but they again are missing the point. IF YOU HAVE A CHILD THAT WANTS TO SERIOUSLY PLAY FOOTBALL OR ANY OTHER SPORT AT THAT MATTER YOU DO NOT WANT TO RUIN THEIR HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE BY PLAYING AGAINST A BUNCH OF NOBODY SCHOOLS IN FRONT OF NOBODY!
THE REAL ATHLETES WILL NOT BE GOING TO THIS LAME SCHOOL IN THE FIRST PLACE!

bigfatlisa writes:

This article is about the possibility of a middle school football program. Why put a negative spin on everything? Ocram you sound like a disgruntled wife whose husband spends too much time watching NFL rather than listening to the nagging coming out of your ignorant mouth. Talk about things you know and understand, which obviously are not sports, education or kids.

BigFatLisa and MarcoIslandWomen,

Now it's is gang-up time from a new blogger and Klabauterwomen. Oh, I am so insulted by your remarks. Remind me to GaD!

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

The truth of any of your insults on proves to people who care to read what questions have been asked and the reluctance of the Academy Propenents to direct their answers clearly without insulting those who ask those questions.

If they can not answer the questions with honesty a smoke screen is immediately put up re-directing with put downs of people they do not know anything, in the slightest way, about.

Now let me try again...

How many of those employed by the Academy are both certified in the State of Floria with the proper credentials to do the job properly of educating our children? Why are there no academic instrutors listed except for a teacher taken from the Middle school? Why is it that only local, mostly retired talent are listed as teachers. Why is it that football has become an emphasis when academics was the driving reason for the Academy in the first place?

There is a great deal of smoke blown at us about everything from sports to outside interests of those posted on the Academy site.

Take the time and read the staff's backgrounds.
Then decide who knows and does not know about what they are questioning.

The more the protesting by the proponents the more I am sure that I am hitting a sensitive spot which those at the Academy refuse to address and answer honestly and with transparency.

Keep on insulting and I will continue asking the questions that need to be answered. And quite honestly, if you do not like what I post, just don't read it!

bigfatlisa writes:

Hey the article is about middle school football you lunatic...save your rants for the topic on hand. You stated that this was about being safe and have turned it into something else... are you confused? Is it time to take your medicine now?

Overweight Lisa,

I like to be politically correct. No I am not confused I can clearly see the reason for the football attempts at a Middle School. If you do not agree with me, that is your opinion, no need to insult or slander.

Not only is football considered extremely dangerous for young children such as 6th, 7th, and 8th graders which was posted earlier regarding this issue. A couple of bloggers responded with the Middle School's football as a means to draw in people for the MIA. I responded and directed my comments to those comments, if you do not agree with them, once again that is your right. Again, no need for name calling or childish put downs.

All you are doing is showing that posting facts brings out your need to insult....and those are the facts.

bigfatlisa writes:

You are so erudite it is just hard for some people to comprehend. See you at the football field. I assume you are the one wearing the mascot outfit flapping your wings and your mouth.

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

I will not be at a football field where little tykes could most likely be injured for their parents' jollies.

RayPray writes:

in response to bigfatlisa:

Gnarled-brow Gridiron drag_Queen with dodo-rag & mustache?

Wow, censored for failing to worship this nitwit 'sport'

Hey I am a Republican, no I never said I was a Republican Herzili,

That imagery comment was already used by an earlier blogger when you were proven to be lying. How about coming up with an original on your own?

From an actual posting by Marianne Herzili,

February 7, 2011
4:36 p.m.
Suggest removal
Written on MIA is ‘MIA’ no more – Marco Island Academy lays out plans for coming school year:
"And do us a big favor Herzili, aka Klabautermann and stand by your own ever bragged about words of calling for a referendum since last July."

"Klabautermann is assassinated by you and others. He was a Democrat. And he was in favor for a referendum.

I am a republican. I am not in favor for a referendum. I learn Fromm MMM how to do business on Marco Island.

Marianne Herzili"

livingonmarco writes:

SUCH A SHAME. ALL THIS FOOTBALL BUSINESS IS GEORGE ABOUNADER AND ROGER RAYMOND BEING SNEAKY!!! GO TO THE MIDDLE SCHOOL AND LOOK AROUND - THE CAMPUS IS FILTHY. WHEN THE TEACHERS TRY TO BRING THIS UP TO THE PRINCIPAL HE SAYS THEY HAVE NO MONEY TO HIRE GOOD CLEANERS BUT THEY HAVE MONEY FOR FOOTBALL.

And now the lies.

April 26, 2011
1:02 a.m.
Suggest removal
MarcoIslandWoman writes:
in response to Ocram:

1. "What have I to do with Klabautermann?" (ans. Just about everything except when one of your handlers uses Herzili and posts for you.)
2. "Who told you that I am a Republican? I stated that I like Republicans more than Democrats. But after the newest developments by the Republicans I am not sure anymore." (ans. Not what is posted above.)
3."I put not down America. America put themselves down! Downfall." (ans. Oh you never insult anyone)
4. "I defended police officers of MIPD. But it is my deeply believe that MIPD is not necessary as organization because finally not to finance anymore."
5. "I was never arrested!" (ans. maybe, maybe not under the name of Herzili)
6."Read your statements about the State of the Art High School. They are false and slandering. One by the other." (Ans. When are questions to asking the Academy to post facts, false?)
7. "I have no idea when I called somebody "dump idiot". But if I called somebody who is pointing a deadly weapon to somebody who will never kill or attack him, that is a "dump idiot" and more." (ans. There are too many times you used the term dump idiot or dump to count. BTW the real word is dumb not dump.)
8. "I do not believe that the MIPD and the reporter made a false statement." (ans. I do not recall saying that the MIPD made a false statement, what I said was wait until all of the facts come out.)
10. "I never insult Catholics or Knights of Columbus. Maybe I use them in some comments as example." (ans. You did, quite clearly when you were addressing one of Pilar's questions in an earlier blog.)

Marianne Herzili
...

(Signed, sealed and delivered.)

Ocram (Inactive) writes:

And now back to the original reason for my posts of concern regarding football in the middle school.

Please read this article and articles like it before you expose your child to what is considered by many medical professionals as being the most dangerous sport for children.

Marianne,

Wow, the truth hurts doesn't it to bring out your lack of true facts tirade.

Remember, the old saying "You protesteth too much." and should I say MUCH TOO MUCH. You must have a great deal to hide.

20_Days writes:

Ocram,

You are wasting your time dueling with Marianne. Nobody bothers to read any of her posts.

The parents on this island have already decided where they will be sending their children next year to high school. From the parents, I have spoken with, there are not many, at all, who will be sending them to the Academy.
I was told that the Academy is doing what it can to convince parents of East Naple's children to send them here, but not too successfully at that.
As I mentioned their minds have been made up.

In all honesty, I hope that the few parents who decide on the Academy the best of luck.

freedomofspeech1 writes:

What is wrong with the currrent program? Why is it that the Marco Eagles travel program through the optomist is suddenly insufficient?
Where does the school think it will get qualified coaches? Is the High School coach that the academy hired going to coach BOTH?
This is an example of trying to fix something that is not broken. The Charter School needs to stick with educating and allow the private organizations to handle sports.
The charter school barely can handle its own operating costs and does not need this to be added. DONT GO TO THE COMMUNITY FOR DONATIONS....WE HAVE GIVEN TOO MUCH~!

livingonmarco writes:

AND FURTHER MORE.......... ASK THE TEACHERS AT MARCO ISLAND CHARTER MIDDLE SCHOOL IF THEY ARE BEING PAID THE SAME AS COLLIER COUNTY TEACHERS. THE ANSWER IF NO - WHEN THEY ASK THEIR PRINCIPAL HE TELLS THEM THE SCHOOL HAS NO MONEY - HA HA
THEY HAVE MONEY FOR FOOTBALL WHICH OTHER MIDDLE SCHOOLS FROWN UPON BUT NO MONEY TO PAY FOR THEIR TEACHERS. WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU. I THINK GEORGE ABOUNADERS PRICIPLES ARE MESSED UP OR DO WE BLAME THE MARCO ISLAND CHARTER MIDDLE SCHOOL BOARD????????? THEY MUST KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON

freedomofspeech1 writes:

I still dont understand why the principal of the middle school is so accomodating to the academy...wait until they are both fighting for the same dollars on the island, which is extremely limited. With Both schools needing to fundraise hundreds of thousands of dollars just to break even, it wont be long before Both become CCPS...not Charter....just a matter of time....when that heppens...CCPS will get what it wanted...to shut down the High School!

RayPray writes:

in response to MarcoIslandWoman:

"My goodness was I proud of Ms. Watt.... And her contacts. Breathtaking!!!!! Jeb Bush...Michelle Rhee....Go Ms. Jane Watt GO!!!!!!!"

This is true!

In fact at 2 a.m. last night I found Gunga Jane, Jebb, and Michelle all laughing and confabulting at the Fat Flamingo, while gnawing down those earth-shattering chicken wings (with the hugger-mugger secret sauce!)!

The end draws near!

happyhorowitz34145 writes:

in response to RayPray:

This is true!

The end draws near!

MH/KlaB/? is there (at that location) every afternoon holding court with his loud mouth.

And to others, the football program will go the same route as the MICS baseball team did!

freedomofspeech1 writes:

in response to happyhorowitz34145:

Your right happy! Like the baseball program this too will go.....INTO EXTINCTION!

in response to happyhorowitz34145:

I guess the past is forgotten by many on this island. Thanks for your great historical perspective.

But I really like your colorful descriptions of some characters on this island, especially the once enigmatic Howdy Doody.

Thank god, there are always a few characters to take the helm and but now they appear in the form of a not to be disclosed chief who's name is used to describe a folding bed.

I really was never like this until I started reading your posts. You created a monster.

LOL

happyhorowitz34145 writes:

in response to ajm3s:

LOL

ajm3s
In all seriuosness, please watch the animated show called "FamilyGuy" and you'll see our PHD city Manager portrayed as one of the neighbors.
The neighbors name is Quagmire and it sure looks like him!