3 injured in gas explosion at Mangrove Cafe in downtown Naples

Firefighters and EMS respond to a gas truck explosion at Mangrove Cafe on Fifth Avenue South in downtown Naples on Monday, January 10, 2011. Three people were injured in the explosion. Allie Garza/Staff

Photo by ALLIE GARZA // Buy this photo

Firefighters and EMS respond to a gas truck explosion at Mangrove Cafe on Fifth Avenue South in downtown Naples on Monday, January 10, 2011. Three people were injured in the explosion. Allie Garza/Staff

— Three people were injured this morning in a gas explosion at the Mangrove Cafe on Fifth Avenue South in downtown Naples. Propane tanks were being filled behind the restaurant by a truck from Balgas Propane of Naples when the blast occurred.

One blast victim, Balgas Propane employee Tom Smith, was transported to the Regional Burn Center at Tampa General Hospital. Smith was transported to the burn unit via medical helicopter, which landed nearby at Gulf View Middle School.

The other two injured in the explosion were cook William "Billy" McCauley and Donald Kington, a beer distributor. They were taken to local hospitals. Two Naples police officers also reported smoke inhalation injuries, said Naples Police Chief Tom Weschler.

The blast was powerful enough to blow glass out the front of the building and onto Fifth Avenue South, now temporarily closed from Ninth Street to Eighth Street South.

A witness to this morning's blast, Anthony Ellis, 34, was doing remodeling work on the north side of Fifth Avenue when he heard the loud explosion and saw the roof lift off the building across the street.

"I honestly thought it was an earthquake," Ellis said. "I dropped my load and ran over there to see if I could help."

Ellis said the restaurant was filled with smoke. He saw one of the burn victims with singed hair and visible burns asking for water.

A similar type of incident occurred in June 2007 at the old Dixie Moon Cafe on the corner of Old 41 Road and Dean Street in Bonita Springs. An employee of a Bonita Springs gas company was severely burned when the gas ignited while he was refueling two propane tanks behind the restaurant.

Check back here soon for photos and updates from the scene.

© 2011 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Related Stories

Comments » 0

Be the first to post a comment!

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features