NAPLES — A Palmetto High student stabbed another student after they got off the school bus Monday, Collier County Sheriff’s officials confirmed this afternoon.
“We do have the student in custody,” said Collier County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Kristi Lester.
Collier deputies responded to the incident near the intersection of Immokalee Road and 47th Avenue NE, Lester said, the call came in at 2:30 p.m.
Lester added that the stabbing victim had been transported to NCH North Naples for treatment, but would not confirm the victim’s gender or age.
Six students remained on the bus until Sheriff's Office investigators interviewed them, Collier County School District Spokesman Joe Landon said in an e-mail.
Jackie Sousa was on the scene as her son Dalton sat on the bus. Dalton said the suspect rides the bus all the time, and the victim rides infrequently.
The two had been arguing since beginning of the school year due to a spitball fight. Dalton said he wasn’t sure who started it.
After another argument on the bus Monday afternoon, according to witnesses, the two got off started to fight and then the victim got stabbed. The suspect then ran into woods.
"I was surprised" said Dalton. He didn't see the fight but when the bus doubled back around after dropping kids off, they saw the crime scene.
"Everyone on the bus is nervous and upset," Dalton said.
The district called parents of the six students to notify them of the delay. The students were transported by bus back to Palmetto Ridge the Sheriff's Office released them, Landon said.
A Collier teen was rushed to the hospital Monday after being stabbed multiple times in the chest and stomach by another teen.
The incident occurred after the two students at Palmetto Ridge High School got off a school bus at 47th Avenue Northeast in Golden Gate Estates.
Police are responding to the scene.
Scanner reports said it was a 16-year-old male.
Collier County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Kristi Lester confirmed Monday afternoon that the stabbing victim had been transported to NCH North Collier for treatment, but would not confirm the victim’s gender or age.
COMPLETE COVERAGE: DYLAN NUNO / JORGE SAAVEDRA
- March 14, 2011: Golden Gate Estates teen Jorge Saavedra arraigned in unrelated case
- March 1, 2011: Suspect in bus stop stabbing death out of detention while awaiting trial
- March 1, 2011: Next court hearing this afternoon in Collier school bus stop stabbing case
- Feb. 23, 2011: Teen will be tried as juvenile in stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge classmate
- Feb. 23, 2011: Case postponed against teen accused of stabbing fellow Palmetto Ridge High student
- Feb. 14: Arraignment for teens accused in separate homicides postponed
- Jan. 31, 2011: Donald Day to represent student charged with school bus stop stabbing
- Jan. 29, 2011: Hundreds remember slain Palmetto Ridge teen Dylan Nuno
- Jan. 27, 2011: Taunts, insults posted on Facebook pages created for stabbing victim
- Jan. 27, 2011: Substitute drove bus that dropped off students involved in fatal stabbing
- Jan. 26, 2011: Memorial service for slain Palmetto Ridge student draws hundreds of teens
- Jan. 25, 2011: Witnesses describe stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge student and history that led to it
- Jan. 25, 2011: Witnesses: Bullying may have sparked deadly bus stop stabbing
- Jan. 25, 2011: 14-year-old held on manslaughter charge in stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge High classmate
- Jan. 24, 2011 (second story): Palmetto Ridge High student stabbed to death after getting off school bus
- Jan. 24, 2011 (first story): Palmetto Ridge student stabbed after getting off school bus
- Menor de 14 arrestado por cargo de homicidio al apuñalar a compañero de clase de Palmetto Ridge High
- March 1, 2011: Saavedra put on house arrest with mother in Miami
- Jan. 29, 2011: Candlelight vigil for Dylan Nuno at Max Hasse park
- Jan. 26, 2011: Dylan Nuno Memorial Service
- Jan. 25, 2011: Jorge Saavedra makes first court appearance
- Jan. 24, 2011: On the ground; stabbing investigation continues
- Jan. 24, 2011: School bus stabbing in Estates
- Photos of Dylan Nuno
- Jan. 25, 2011: Students react to stabbing death
- Jan. 24, 2011: RAW VIDEO - Students exit bus after stabbing
- My Thoughts Exactly by Annette Kniola: Red Flags in Stabbing Death
- My Thoughts Exactly by Annette Kniola: Estates Once Again -"In Shock"
- Jan. 25, 2011: Editorial: Tragic destruction of young lives ...
ON THE INTERNET: